pixeltracker

New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.- Page 4

New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#75New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/22/16 at 1:54am

Isabelle Huppert was much better than both Portman and Stone in Elle.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#76New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/22/16 at 2:34am

Huppert IS fantastic. However, she missed out on a SAG nomination, her film is ineligible at the BAFTAs, and ELLE is not one of the finalists for Foreign Film at the Oscars. Oscar wins are so much about momentum now, which is why there are rarely if ever surprise wins in major categories. If she were to pull off an upset at the Globes, making the final five for Best Actress with the Academy is still an uphill battle. And if she does pull off a nomination, she'll be in third at best. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#77New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/23/16 at 11:18pm

I saw Jackie today and I was less than impressed. There were moments of striking brilliance performance wise and some breathtaking visuals, but the film as a whole left me cold. I've seen better cinematic depictions of grief (hell, I thought Rabbit Hole was better in that respect) and again I think much of the films power was cribbed from the blending of stock footage and sentimentality of the iconic images. I think that is cheating a little. 

Also, I came away feeling like the takeaway was that Jackie was a fraud. This seemed odd. Yes, I get the film was about facades but it felt hollow. I know very little about Jackie and this film gave me little to no insight into her. Even a grieving woman in a hurricane has more depth, especially the controlling one being interviewed. I don't even feel the film gave her much dignity.

At 90 minutes I found the film a slog. I adore Portman but I found it her most superficial performance. At times she sounded like Drew Barrymore's Little Edie complete with "You understand?" and other times no accent. She went from zombiefied to hysterical. It got old quick. I found the screenplay lackluster. Portman limped from one scene to another. If you look on rotten tomatoes, critics love it, audiences are more critical and not really getting it so much. 

I thought Richard E Grant as the decorator was a sympathetic standout

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#78New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/23/16 at 11:29pm

I always enjoy your reviews...Who do you like for Best Actress this year?

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#79New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/24/16 at 12:24am

Greta Gerwig was the standout for me. If the world were just, she should be a huge star.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#80New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/24/16 at 6:40pm

We're seeing it soon so I'm withholding judgement on the film itself, but our dear friend that cuts our hair, is also area union hair/wig master/etc. He works on "Turn" "Mercy St." "House Of Cards", basically any movie also. He said this was a tough shoot for realism for costume and hair.

Apparently there is one scene wear Jackie sees herself in storefront windows. He said that was a really tough day; but happily he was able to do "A Christmas Story" that night. We haven't seen anything yet; I'm just wondering what order for Fences, LaLa, Manchester, Jackie, and the Hidden Figures.

Happy Holidays to all my friends here and to all! Happy CHR-KWA-Hannukmas and of course, it's Festivus For The Rest Of Us!

angel  

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#81New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/31/16 at 2:09pm

east side story said: "Huppert IS fantastic. However, she missed out on a SAG nomination, her film is ineligible at the BAFTAs, and ELLE is not one of the finalists for Foreign Film at the Oscars. Oscar wins are so much about momentum now, which is why there are rarely if ever surprise wins in major categories. If she were to pull off an upset at the Globes, making the final five for Best Actress with the Academy is still an uphill battle. And if she does pull off a nomination, she'll be in third at best. 

Is she BAFTA eligible for Things to Come?

I expect Huppert has a very good chance of getting an oscar nod.   It is hard to imagine anyone longer overdue for a nomination than her.  If she is nominated, and if enough voters see the movie, it is still an uphill road.   But her work in Elle, and the movie itself, no matter what one thinks of it, so singularly courageous, that she could possibly pull it off.  

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#82New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/31/16 at 4:56pm

^ Agreed Henrikgerman. It's also a brilliant reversal on the type of role that she has played previously.

And she is WAY overdue for an Oscar. I mean, all of these movies I felt she was at least deserving of a nomination:

Amour

White Material

Gabrielle

The Piano Teacher

8 Women

The School of Flesh

Heaven's Gate

La Cérémonie

The Time of the Wolf

Story of Women

Every Man for Himself

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#83New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/31/16 at 9:18pm

Her not being nominated for any of these, Fantod, shocks the conscience.  Her work with Chabrol in Story of Women and La Ceremonie is unforgettable.  And what a surprise and delight it was to see her high clowning - her campy shift from frump to high glamor - in Eight Women  (like a Carol Burnett-enchanted Huppert under the direction of an Almodovar-possessed Ozon).  Every single acting move she makes in Elle is at once startlingly unexpected and utterly truthful. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#84New Trailer - Natalie Portman as Jackie O.
Posted: 12/31/16 at 9:27pm

Honestly, I've never really liked Isabelle Huppert. To me, she's always Isabelle Huppert. Even in 8 Women I'm very much aware that I'm watching Isabelle Huppert. I already feel like she's always acting in quotation marks, so in 8 Women it's like she's acting within quotation marks within quotation marks (I love that movie, though).

Videos