pixeltracker

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED- Page 12

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#275Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:27pm

Foatani?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

pianodude
#276Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:35pm

This thread is quite a debate.

I would love for more musicals to be taped, both running and closed shows. It would only help...

A friend and I were lucky enough to be able to drive to NYC and see Wicked. We went there primarily to see the show. I was slightly disappointed when my $100+ ticket bought me a seat in the last row on the left end. It would have been nice if I could see the whole set (the time dragon!). But it was a nice experience regardless.

If there was a Wicked DVD, I would buy it in a heart beat. Would having it make me not want to go to the theater and see it again? Absolutely not! I've seen a few Wicked bootlegs, but I still want to go back and see it again.

There are a ton of shows to see on Broadway. I don't have the time or means to travel to NYC everytime I want that experience. A DVD of a show would be a great way to introduce me to shows I wouldn't normally go out to see.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#277Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:38pm

FOAnatic, that must be the Italian translation of your name.

How "continental!"

Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

USTheater.TV Profile Photo
USTheater.TV
#278Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:39pm

Ok...I think Foatani has run out of steam on this one, the debate is moving towards how we spell names....

Any other constructive points, without the angst ridden insults ?

I'll let the debate flow down the ranks again and update you next month with progress.

Many thanks for now......

_________________ www.uktheatre.net

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#279Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:39pm

I have seen a few bootlegs of wicked and none of them have made me not want to see it, they have made me want to see it.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

USTheater.TV
#280Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:42pm

Oops...missed the last two. Foatani was just what came into my head when typing, I couldn't go back to see how it was spelled. Nothing more. I hope it's all been food for thought, it's not always easy getting a new idea across.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#281Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:43pm

I'm not out of steam.

I've already stated how this should be run.

I'm not against the commercial release of video clips of shows running or DVDS of shows that have closed.

But I think it's wrong to charge a flat fee for someone to purchase a DVD of a show still running so they can watch it over and over again and show it to others which will decrease their need to go and see the show live.

If you're going to release a recording of a still running show it should be done via some satellite television network (like Comcast "On Demand") where one would have to pay a fee every time the video was viewed. That fee can work out to be whatever the price is for the cheapest seat in the theatre.

At least then the production staff and cast would be getting the compensation they deserve.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 6/25/06 at 02:43 PM

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#282Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:45pm

I agree with you FOAnatic.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

#283Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:45pm

I'd be just as happy if you didn't come back next month...or ever.

So what...I sing
#284Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:47pm

"Yes, but they saw clips of the show."

Actually no, If you go to Google videos and type in Wicked you can view the entire production as taped from a live performance.
And as I've stated previously it only helped spur thier interest! :)

USTheater.TV
#285Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:48pm

Ok..I see I have some angst coming back.... tell me more Thom ?

Foatani.....again, its just semantics you are talking about.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#286Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:50pm

That's not my name!

Can you read?

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#287Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:51pm

Actually no, If you go to Google videos and type in Wicked you can view the entire production as taped from a live performance.
And as I've stated previously it only helped spur thier interest! :)

Yes, illegally.

Congratulations to them.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#288Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:53pm

Semantics?

yr ronin,
joey

pianodude
#289Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:53pm

Yeah, I agree...seeing a recorded performance is not going to make people not want to see it in person. It will only spark their interest in wanting to see it live. People who watch these recordings understand that you can't ever capture the whole experience in a recording. It is just like an audio recording. Listening to an OBC recording over and over hasn't made me want to see the show any less...it is actually a testament to how much I'm interested in it.

So what...I sing
#290Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:54pm

Which is why I previously stated that I was in no way in support of Bootlegging or the use of bootlegging to encourage teens to go to the theatre....which is WHY this new Legal taping of musicals and plays could be so beneficial.

And seriously FOA, relax a little bit, Dan only wants some input and constructive criticism, if you are going to get on his back, I'll start calling you Foatani too.

pianodude
#291Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:55pm

If there was an official recording people could buy, people wouldn't illegally view bootlegs.

So what...I sing
#292Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:57pm

Point for pianodude! That makes the Score Pianodude 1 Foatani 0

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#293Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:58pm

People who watch these recordings understand that you can't ever capture the whole experience in a recording.

Theatregoers understand this...but not common tourists.

If a family from the midwest is planning a trip to NYC specifically to see a certain show they bought tickets for...their trip revolves around that show.

If they find out they can buy a DVD and watch it in the comfort of their own home...they will. It will save them a ton of money in traveling expenses that they can use for something else.

USTheater.TV
#294Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:59pm

Sorry, a bit dyslexic with your userid, Foanatic, there, managed it this time (I think).

Illegal downloads always start first, it's a sign of demand. THe music industry was a perfect example of that. The theatre industry needs to learn from this and meet the demand with legal ways before the illegal one's become commonplace.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#295Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:01pm

People can still illegally download music and burn it onto CDs...and they do.

And it has hurt the music industry.

So what...I sing
#296Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:03pm

Dan, I want in on this. PM me so I can get some details from you, or shoot me an Email...both can be found in my Profile :)

SporkGoddess
#297Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:09pm

FOAnatic: Most tourists don't go to NYC just to see shows.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

USTheater.TV
#298Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:11pm

Hehehe...It's Doug....

I have built up an international network of independent film makers as well as around 5,000 theatre practitioners but I plan to expand to 52 cities in the U.S. Any and all assistance in growing this is gratefully received.

editor at uktheatre.net
US Theater TV

2 Profile Photo
#299Why Musicals SHOULD be VIDEOTAPED - a year later
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:12pm

[i]If there was an official recording people could buy, people wouldn't illegally view bootlegs.[/i]

No, people would still download botleggs the same way some people decide not to buy DVD but download them illegally. But i agree that shows should be taped with the original cast (or whoever is in the cast at the time)and then kept in a vault until the show is off Broadway/West End. That way, everyone wins!!

Videos