UnGLEEful

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#300re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 10:29am

Okay, I'm just gonna say it - I kinda didn't hate this episode. There was still a lot to mock - crybaby Matt, who just looks ridiculous when he tries to be serious; Emma, whose OCD must be under control with Zoloft now or something; the fact that they had the bus for Artie (did that get resolved and I just forgot it? I thought the money was going to the auditorium); where did they put their extra wheelchairs?; why are these kids so amoral that they'd let a teenage boy who isn't the father of Quinn's baby think he's the father, etc?

But, maybe it's because virtually every plotline was wrapped up, or because now that it's going away I don't have to feel drawn to this show like I am to a car accident.

It still makes no sense, though. None.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#301re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 10:47am

I was going to say - it wasn't even weird this week, just plain and bland.

I officially can't stand Lea Michele (not her character. I'm talking about her) and they need some new talent. I'm tired of the same people being the "stars". In show choirs, that's simply not realistic. There are many soloists.

It is time for the Asian and Queer to sing more. They have better voices than 80% of those schmucks. And they need to reexamine the transitions. There were many jump cuts and inconsistencies with camera shots, etc., etc. VERY noticeable this week.

I've given up on hoping for coherent, cohesive, consistent storylines. And the script was not good this week. But they redeemed themselves with the production numbers. Not by much though...

PRS, It's been quite a ride. Look forward to sharing our thoughts come April (if I've decided to pick it back up).

When I think about you, I touch myself.

#302re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:03am

Again, I love coming to this board Thursday mornings so I can find that I am not alone in my feelings about this show. Like others have said, I have given up looking for coherent plots, but it's difficult because to me it indicates lazy, sloppy writing.
On a side note, has anyone noticed that almost all of the Glee clubs group numbers end with the "slowly-raised-extended arm-quasi nazi-salute". It worked for Don't Stop Believing" but it's gotten real old real fast. Sort of like the show itself.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#303re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:34am

And while I used to be a huge fan of the arrangements, they have all become far too similar. Literally, they are all the exact same.

Sheldon - you hit the nail on the head. It's not "quirky" or "wacky" or 'how Ryan Murphy writes' because he is rarely the head writer on each episode. It is, in fact, what you say... WRITERS BEING LAZY. Bingo!

I see "Glee" for what it is and I appreciate what it's doing. But there's only so long it can run on this steam, unless someone can come in to revamp the writing.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#304re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:36am

I still can't believe NO ONE but Artie seems to know/care that stutter girl doesn't stutter anymore.

#305re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:42am

thanks, music s.
One more thing: For a show that prides itself on it's originality and inventivness, they have a somewhat heavy-set sassy black girl sing "And I am telling you...". Really? Really? THAT'S being original? THAT'S being daring? If Kurt (or even Finn) had done that song, then I'd be impressed.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#306re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:44am

Do show choir competitions really allow heavy solo stuff like Don't Rain on My Parade? It seems to defeat the purpose.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#307re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:56am

Phyl- My orchestra was in a regionial competition that included bands, choruses, and orchestras and there was an award for best solo for one person in the groups.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#308re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:58am

What are you people going to do with yourselves for 4 months?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#309re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 11:58am

Fair enough. I stand corrected on that one.

How about them not hammering down their set list until the day before? Isn't that what they sort of implied? I feel like that plot point was done twice, giving the set list to the other schools.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#310re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:22pm

As Phyllis said, I am drawn to this show like I am to a car accident.

I want to love it. I watch it every week so hopeful for what I am about to see and I have even purchased some of the songs from the show but every week I am left not knowing how to feel about what I have just seen.

I hate that it is so unrealistic.

Is it to be believed that these kids are musical geniuses that can vocally arrange and reorchestrate a song and choreograph a number at the last minute? These kids must me the best sight readers in America.

Who wrote those light cues for their performance at sectionals when they changed their set list at the last minute? That just doesn't happen without a tech rehearsal.

Where was that orchestra during Rachel's solo of "Don't Rain On My Parade?"

Do Santana and Brittney have any other clothes? Why are they wearing their Cheerios' uniform on a Saturday?

I felt that the inclusion of "And I'm Telling You..." was basically pandering to gay men (which I am one) because they know that a good majority of us will gasp and have a spontaneous orgasm everytime we hear those first three chimes and a heavy-set black woman starts singing that song...even when it is made completely underwhelming but the use of autotune. I never thought I would say this but I am so sick of that song.

Updated On: 12/10/09 at 12:22 PM

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#311re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:29pm

It looks like strummergirl is all sad, like a poor little baby, because some of us actually see the flaws in this show. LOL!

Tom, well said...all around. I agree.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#312re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:33pm

It looks like strummergirl is all sad, like a poor little baby, because some of us actually see the flaws in this show.

I didn't take her that way at all. There's so much about the show that's NOT logical that if someone can point out that something actually IS logical I say more power to them.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#313re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:36pm

At least Finn finally knows that he's not the father! Oy - that took forever.

And all that Matty Morrison listening through the phone while the kids sang was killing me - just camptastic.

PS - I hate that he & Emma are going to be together so soon (or at all!) - dude you JUST left your wife (who I do hope will be MIA from the spring episodes).

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#314re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:37pm

Well, the end was intentionally ambiguous. All Emma did was smile after he kissed her and it faded to black.

SporkGoddess
#315re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:46pm

I can't believe they considered "Don't Rain on My Parade" a ballad. Is it really?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#316re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/10/09 at 12:49pm

Frankly, I'm never sure what a ballad is. Even on the show, they don't seem to have consistency there. When Matt CryBaby explained that a ballad tells a story (which is one of the most common definitions) I wonder how that makes "And I Am Telling You" a ballad by that definition.

K8eeyore
#317re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/11/09 at 8:34pm

I'm still trying to figure out how the other school stole "And I Am Telling You..." when McKinley High didn't decide to sing it until AFTER Sue had given away the set list.

I know the characters are inconsistent, the storylines don't make any sense, etc., etc., etc., but for some weird reason I just don't care.

SporkGoddess
#318re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/12/09 at 12:21pm

... Good point.

PiraguaGuy2
#319re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/12/09 at 12:46pm

Moreover, why did they have to make up a whole new number in the first place when we've seen them perform so many other perfectly-rehearsad group numbers in the past? They could have done Keep Holding On, True Colors, Last Name, either of the two mashups, Lean on Me, or Jump!

Ugh ugh ugh.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#320re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/12/09 at 7:44pm

I think we are to understand that it went like this: Will gave sue the original set list because she was entitled to see it as co-director. Sue met with the other teachers and told them the songs. When the kids decided to change the final set list, Sue got the changes out of Brittany (which can't be hard) and told the other teachers at the last minute.

...Why I thought about it that much, I can't really tell you. It's not like anything else makes sense.

But...yeah, I kind of liked that episode, or at least disliked it significantly less than most of the other episodes. I think I just have an irrational love of Jayma Mays/Emma, so if she gets a significant amount of screen time, I'm probably going to like the episode.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#321re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/12/09 at 8:31pm

"I think we are to understand that it went like this: Will gave sue the original set list because she was entitled to see it as co-director. Sue met with the other teachers and told them the songs. When the kids decided to change the final set list, Sue got the changes out of Brittany (which can't be hard) and told the other teachers at the last minute."

The fact that you even TRIED....

SporkGoddess
#322re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/12/09 at 9:47pm

But, okay, assume that's true. The opposing teams then had only two days to put together three entirely new routines.

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#323re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/13/09 at 7:28am

PHYLLIS

I work with a top showchoir in cali, and was taught in hs by the man who brought showchoir to cali, and was in that original showchoir (some years after it came about)

There would NEVER ever be a full solo song in a "show set"...ever. You have a specific amount of time to set up, perform, and tear down. There needs to be a certain number of songs, at least 5, each one must have a soloist section (usually consisting of no more than a few lines or harmonies as a duet)

The "best solo" award that is given DOES exist, but NOT for full songs. Just for someone who sang whichever random solo they ad exceptionally well. A few years ago the girl from chula vista high who sang the solo in shadowland always won it. She was amazing.

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#324re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 12/14/09 at 7:16pm

According to this article/blog at E! Online, Terri is coming back...oh boy...

Don't go in the Christmas closet!

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos