News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

UnGLEEful

Trish2
#1UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/16/09 at 11:41pm

What a disappointing episode tonight. With the exception of Debra Monks inebriated mom, and the young boys coming out scene, the episode was a complete bore. The lip syncing seems to be getting worse, the choreography less appealing, and the music selections not so terrific. I just don't feel anything for the "caricatures" and wonder where they plan to go with such a weak storyline. The older male Glee club didn't hit the mark, and the Josh Grobin bit was just tacky.

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#2re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/16/09 at 11:51pm

I agree. I actually really liked the whole story with Kurt and Mercedes, but I was completely bored and uninterested in Will's Accafellas thing. Hopefully, next week's episode will be better, considering it centers around Sue's news segment and her "Smell your armpits" bit tonight made my friends and I die with laughter.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#2re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/16/09 at 11:57pm

Tonight's show was a little boring. It seemed like they saved most of the big musical numbers for the last 20 minutes. LOVED all of the guest stars, though. John Lloyd Young, Victor Garber, Debra Monk, Josh Groban. What a list!

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:05am

This show just tries too damn hard it's really kind of cloying.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#4re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:07am

It was funny I thought, I enjoyed the show.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

#5re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:10am

wow i disagree with most of the above posters - i thought tonight's episode was fantastic.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:15am

I get (think?) that it's trying to sort of exist in its own reality, and I appreciate that, but I just don't care. I love Jane Lynch in theory, but I hate her character in these. I find Matthew Morrison bland. The thing with the shrewish wife is just so weird, etc, etc, etc.

It's like a bunch of former music nerds got high and just shat out every whacked out premise they could think of and just threw it in a blender.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:18am

Oh, cut it a break. The show is just breaking ground and getting its' wings.

It's camp. It's written to be corny. It's written to play into the hilarity. It almost laughs at itself...just not in the XANADU way...

I enjoy it. And I think this episode was necessary to advance the story for whatever they have planned for us next. I doubt that the adult a cappella group is permanent for the series.

Do I think GLEE is perfect...not by any means!! But I acknowledge and forgive its flaws because I enjoy it so much. I feel like the series is catered to me. So I anticipate next week's episode with little patience, just as I did last week and all sumer since the pilot.

End of tangent.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#8re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:23am

I am cutting it a break. I want to like it, but I just feel like it has no clear direction or focus.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:24am

I feel like Glee falls into an almost uncanny valley of television. It's CLOSE to being real life... but it's not. And it's off-putting for some people.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#10re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:28am

That's a good way of putting it. I feel that way about Ugly Betty. I've always said that the show exists in its own reality. And it normally works.

It's not that I find that sort of take off-putting; on the contrary, I love it. I loved Ally McBeal so much before it go so bad, because it was one of the first shows that created a bizarro reality that I would loved to have lived in.

Glee is just ... I dunno. Not very good.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:36am

I don't even like this show that much (ok, I only saw the pilot and this one... in progress), but I legitimately laughed at more of this than in the pilot.

I watch VERY little TV, though, so maybe I'm easily amused.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 9/17/09 at 12:36 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#12re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 12:41am

I thought it was sweet when the GB came out to SBG.

I just don't think the phys ed crowd trying to take down the glee club is a great basis for a story arc. Actually, I think it COULD be, it's just not being executed well.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#13re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 1:02am

a. Are we really going to have a new thread for each episode of this show? I know it's technically musical-related, but can't we just have one megathread and contain discussion there?

b. I really, really like the show, but this episode fell flat for me. The pacing was incredibly different from the first two episodes, and the Acafella subplot just didn't have any spark, even with the Groban cameo. I think the episode suffered from not having a single performance by the actual Glee club. I'm excited for next week, though, as the storylines seem much more interesting.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#14re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 1:09am

There were about 4 times I LOL'd during the episode. But this episode just seemed like everyone wanted to have sex with one another, just by the camera angles and proximity to one anothers' faces.

crushgroove
#15re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 2:53am

"I thought it was sweet when the GB came out to SBG"

please do without the acronyms...no one knows what the hell you're talking about

Craww
#16re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 3:33am

I thought the way the plot unfolded was a little WTF, and the writing wasn't as strong for that. HOWEVER. I still loved it. Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 90s, but the song selection was epic. It was basically plucked right out of the conversations my best friend and I have. If only they'd done Pony by Ginuwine I'd be convinced I wrote the show in some sort of forgetful stupor.

They need to get some En Vogue on this show. Immediately.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#17re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 4:09am

Crushgroove, Phyllis doesn't need to spell it out, it's pretty clear.
I enjoy the show, it definitely exists in its own reality, and I think they managed to pull off Mercede's musical number in a Chicago-esque sort of way that I liked. Sometimes it gets too close to POPULAR (which I thought had a serious problem in finding the right tone), and sometimes it's too high school-ish (sorry but why is they gay kid in the closet? I thought we were supposed to assume he was out), but it entertains me.
Phyllis, I have a weird relationship to the Jane Lynch character. I like Jane Lynch so much, but sometimes her character is too much for me, especially in this episode. I actually enjoyed her more in PARTY DOWN, the Starz show she left to do this.
The wife needs to go, they need to change her, they need to do something about her. She's easily their worst character.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 5:03am

I have tried to enjoy this show, but I don't. I can't stand the overbearing stereotypes. I'm actually offended by much of what the characters are portraying. (Yes, actually offended.) I won't be trying a 4th time.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

crushgroove
#19re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 5:24am

I noticed the wife started to loosen up at the end of the episode and enjoyed her husband's singing...so I think they are trying to make her less of a caricature. I mean the woman is faking a pregnancy to try and save her marriage. I don't think she's as horrible as we're making her out to be. And I love how they are fleshing out the rest of the glee club members. They were focusing far too much on Rachel and Finn...

RentBoy86
#20re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 7:22am

I think it stems from the fact that - at least me and my friends - we don't care too much about Will's life, but more about the actual students and the Glee Club. Everytime Will had a "father and son" moment with his dad, i Just felt like "Ugh, let's move on." Hopefully they know that. And Mercede's song, as much as I loved it, just didn't quite work.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#21re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 7:59am

While I laughed at this episode, it came across as a little too 7th Heaven or Little House On The Prairie for me. By that, I mean that there was an obvious, hit-you-in-the-face-with-a-brick theme, that most, if not all the major characters had to deal with. Last night on Glee it was confidence. If they continue doing shows like that, they'll lose me.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#22re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 9:17am

Gay Boy
Sassy Black Girl

I figured it would be obvious, since this show isn't exactly subtle.

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#23re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 9:32am

I loved the episode, but half way through my daughter decided she just doesn't like the show. She kept saying, "I miss Pushing Daisies".

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#24re: UnGLEEful
Posted: 9/17/09 at 9:33am

Omg, I do, too! There's a daisy-shaped hole in my heart!

Videos