News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HADESTOWN Previews

dotseurat2
#375HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 8:58pm

I've been trying to find info whether or not this show would be appropriate for my 10 year old. The website for the show says 8+ but other places say 12+. She is really into Greek mythology so I thought it would be good for her. How is it content wise?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#376HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 9:03pm

dotseurat2 said: "I've been trying to find info whether or not this show would be appropriate for my 10 year old. The website for the show says 8+ but other places say 12+. She is really into Greek mythology so I thought it would be good for her. How is it content wise?"

She will be fine, it’s very PG.

Markecib
#377HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 9:20pm

I see no reason this wouldn’t be fine for a 10 year old. There’s nothing overly sexual. If you kid can sit thru a movie they should be fine.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#378HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 10:18pm

My barely 12-year-old absolutely loved it, and I had no qualms about any of the staging or material being too "adult" for him at all. She'll be fine.

dotseurat2
#379HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 10:49pm

Thanks, all. My kid is a huge fan of the Prom and some of the language got many a question (oof! All in good fun!) but I'm still so glad she saw it. Wasn't sure if Hadestown might be a bore or over her head as well.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#380HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/7/19 at 11:01pm

I was stumbled across some clips on YouTube from the London production, Which I know I shouldn’t of been watching.. but one big change I noticed is that they cut down the workers from 7 to 4. I'm happy they made this change because it looks like waaaayyy too many people on stage.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#381HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 2:13am

YvanEhtNioj said: "I was stumbled across some clips on YouTube from the London production, Which I know I shouldn’t of been watching.. but one big change I noticed is that they cut down the workers from 7 to 4. I'm happy they made this change because it looks like waaaayyy too many people on stage. "

I counted 7 in London and 5 on Broadway, but your point still stands. The action is clearer with a smaller ensemble of workers. Then again, Timothy Hughes basically counts as two people by himself! 

magictodo123
#382HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 7:54am

So I have a question for those who have seen the show....I have epilepsy and while I haven't had a seizure in a long time (*knock on wood*) I noticed on the website that it says "strobe used throughout). I'm just wondering how heavy the strobe is? is it that scene during act II of Great Comet strobe heavy? I normally cover my eyes...I just want to know how intense it gets. 

jbp1232 Profile Photo
jbp1232
#383HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 9:27am

magictodo123 said: "So I have a question for those who have seen the show....I have epilepsy and while I haven't had a seizure in a long time (*knock on wood*) I noticed on the website that it says "strobe used throughout). I'm just wondering how heavy the strobe is? is it that scene during act II of Great Comet strobe heavy? I normally cover my eyes...I just want to know how intense it gets."

I would definitely recommend you check with someone on the production team, but I don't remember the strobe use being significant at all and NOTHING like Great Comet. There are a lot of non-strobe lights that pan across the audience throughout the show, so I don't know if that would pose a problem. 

magictodo123
#384HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 10:51am

jbp1232 said: "magictodo123 said: "So I have a question for those who have seen the show....I have epilepsy and while I haven't had a seizure in a long time (*knock on wood*) I noticed on the website that it says "strobe used throughout). I'm just wondering how heavy the strobe is? is it that scene during act II of Great Comet strobe heavy? I normally cover my eyes...I just want to know how intense it gets."

I would definitely recommend you check with someone on the production team, but I don't remember the strobe use being significant at all and NOTHING like Great Comet. There are a lot of non-strobe lights that pan across the audience throughout the show, so I don't know if that would pose a problem.
"

Thank you!! This is really helpful. I’ll check when I get to the theater. But if it’s just lights over the audience and not constant flashing I should be fine. Thank you! 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#385HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 10:57am

Ourtime992 said: "Then again, Timothy Hughes basically counts as two people by himself!"

Hahaha! Facts. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#386HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:00am

Anyone dare try balcony for this? Its probably the only way I can afford this show unless it pops up on TDF again when Im back in the city with an open show slot in May. 

Markecib
#387HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:13am

magictodo123 said: "jbp1232 said: "magictodo123 said: "So I have a question for those who have seen the show....I have epilepsy and while I haven't had a seizure in a long time (*knock on wood*) I noticed on the website that it says "strobe used throughout). I'm just wondering how heavy the strobe is? is it that scene during act II of Great Comet strobe heavy? I normally cover my eyes...I just want to know how intense it gets."

I would definitely recommend you check with someone on the production team, but I don't remember the strobe use being significant at all and NOTHING like Great Comet. There are a lot of non-strobe lights that pan across the audience throughout the show, so I don't know if that would pose a problem."

Thank you!! This is really helpful. I’ll check when I get to the theater. But if it’s just lights over the audience and not constant flashing I should be fine. Thank you!
"

I don’t remember intense flashing like comet where the whole scene was in a bright white strobe. It more was like flashing stage lights and I think it was at the end of “Wait for Me” it was pretty muted and there is more intense lights that shine at the back of the stage all static.

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#388HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:24am

Apologies if there's a separate thread for seating questions -- if so, I couldn't find it.

I'm wondering why the last row of the Orchestra Center is only $99----and whether that means you're missing something because of the overhang.  Can anyone confirm how much action takes place on upper levels of the set that might be obscured?  Thanks!

kmissa
#389HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 12:52pm

I haven't sat in those seats, but if you're looking at Ticketmaster.com they use 'dynamic pricing'. Not sure the algorithm, but prices will change based on whatever metrics/values they have assigned. I think they would have to mention it's obstructed or partial view before you check.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#390HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 1:03pm

Definitely not partial, definitely would jump on them now. Great seats and not far away from the stage at all. This thing is going to explode in a few weeks.

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#391HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 1:51pm

Mike Barrett said: "Anyone dare try balcony for this? Its probably the only way I can afford this show unless it pops up on TDF again when Im back in the city with an open show slot in May."

The balcony is pretty steep but it's a really good view. I was in the second row of the balcony and I had to lean sliiiightly when they're all the way downstage, but it wasn't bad (I'm also really short). I enjoyed the view a lot because I felt like a lot of the effects look better from above than in the front orchestra.

dfrillsnedit
#392HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 2:46pm

So I saw the show for a second time last Thursday. Question - am I going crazy, or did Hermes umbrella from "Way Down Hadestown" already change? I thought during the first preview it was a sparkly sort of thing, but when I went on Thursday it was just a black Umbrella. Maybe I'm losing it, but I swear it didn't look that basic. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#393HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 3:21pm

dfrillsnedit said: "So I saw the show for a second time last Thursday. Question - am I going crazy, or did Hermes umbrella from "Way Down Hadestown" already change? I thought during the first preview it was a sparkly sort of thing, but when I went on Thursday it was just a black Umbrella. Maybe I'm losing it, but I swear it didn't look that basic."

It's sparkly and red in my recollection. If it changed, it was since mid-last-week (when I saw it last time).

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#394HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 6:50pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "dfrillsnedit said: "So I saw the show for a second time last Thursday. Question - am I going crazy, or did Hermes umbrella from "Way Down Hadestown" already change? I thought during the first preview it was a sparkly sort of thing, but when I went on Thursday it was just a black Umbrella. Maybe I'm losing it, but I swear it didn't look that basic."

It's sparkly and red in my recollection. If it changed, it was since mid-last-week (when I saw it last time).
"

It was plain black when I saw it on 4/4

JustAnotherNewYorker
#395HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 7:01pm

getupngo said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "dfrillsnedit said: "So I saw the show for a second time last Thursday. Question - am I going crazy, or did Hermes umbrella from "Way Down Hadestown" already change? I thought during the first preview it was a sparkly sort of thing, but when I went on Thursday it was just a black Umbrella. Maybe I'm losing it, but I swear it didn't look that basic."

"

"

Strange change. I do think the Mardi Gras umbrella fit the dixieland theme, although given it's the train to hell.... Ah, previews.

Of perhaps they just broke the umbrella and didn't have an extra

Updated On: 4/8/19 at 07:01 PM

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#396HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 9:34pm

While they're looking for an umbrella, I hope they also find a melody for Epic III. I adored the show but I'm sad they sacrificed one of the most beautiful songs from the earlier incarnations of the show. I wish they had worked the new lyrics into that framework rather than jettisoning them altogether. If that change reverts back, will someone let me know? Thanks!

PhantomOfFleetStreet
#397HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 10:27pm

I'm pretty sure that to get Epic III back to what it was during the NYTW run, the other Epics have to revert as well which would also mean Orpheus going back to the more confident character he was instead of the child-like, oblivious dope he is now.

Impossible2
#398HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 10:32pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "getupngo said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "dfrillsnedit said: "So I saw the show for a second time last Thursday. Question - am I going crazy, or did Hermes umbrella from "Way Down Hadestown" already change? I thought during the first preview it was a sparkly sort of thing, but when I went on Thursday it was just a black Umbrella. Maybe I'm losing it, but I swear it didn't look that basic."

"

"

Strange change. I do think the Mardi Grasumbrella fit the dixieland theme, although given it's the train to hell.... Ah, previews.

Of perhaps they just broke the umbrella and didn't have an extra

"

Maybe one was getting cleaned, seriously Agatha Christie is not needed here on this one.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#399HADESTOWN Previews
Posted: 4/8/19 at 11:10pm

PhantomOfFleetStreet said: "I'm pretty sure that to get Epic III back to what it was during the NYTW run, the other Epics have to revert as well which would also mean Orpheus going back to the more confident character he was instead of the child-like, oblivious dope he is now."

In London, the Epics were a hybrid of those styles, which I thought worked ok. I even really like what the new lyrics are saying and the parallel they draw between the two men. I just wish some of the haunting melody could have been retained.

Videos