pixeltracker

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig- Page 18

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#425Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:37pm

I've wondered why there is no understudy for Hedwig?  What is the reasoning?

The main reasoning is, I think, because it is basically always stunt-casting and very few people would want to see an understudy. It's kind of like when Idina missed If/Then performances and they gave out refunds - it isn't cost effective.

Phan2
#426Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:45pm

Thanks for your reply, ChildofEarth.  That's a valid reason. But aren't there other shows with "stunt casting" with understudies for the leads?   I wonder if Daniel Radcliffe had understudies for his various shows.  Maybe he didn't as well.    So I'm wondering when John was hurt, did they offer to give refunds when Michael took over for him?

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#427Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:47pm

"So I'm wondering when John was hurt, did they offer to give refunds when Michael took over for him?"

Yes they did, although many were also excited to have another chance to see MCH.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#428Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:51pm

"I thought Neil was the best to be honest."

Perhaps Neil was the first Hedwig you ever saw. That could explain not knowing the real thing. IMO.

Saying Neil was better than JCM to me is like saying Eddie Murphy does a better Buckwheat than Buckwheat.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Phan2
#429Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:11pm

Thanks for your answer, SDV. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#430Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:30pm

Hedwig began at an intimate bar/club with JCM at the mike, telling his story to a few friends. As it progressed, all the way to off broadway, it remained a character telling his story, in a conversational way, to who was there to hear it.

It was never a big production number style show with lots of "TADA!!!!" dancing and singing, a la Vegas. A la NPH.

It is my belief that there is an audience for Tada type shows and they have their preferences for who plays Hedwig. 

There is also an audience for listening to and feeling the pathos of Hedwig Schmidt's story. That's why there's such a large percentage of JCM and M. Cerveris fans.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#431Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:38pm

When I rank Broadway Hedwigs, I don't even include JCM on the list... he is in his own category.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#432Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:40pm

EXACTLY, Haterobics. There is no comparison bet. John and anyone, even from the Jane.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#433Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:43pm

Perhaps Neil was the first Hedwig you ever saw. That could explain not knowing the real thing. IMO.

He was the first Hedwig I saw live, but I was well aware of JCM and had watched the movie many times. Maybe I just saw him on an off night? He just didn't do it for me.

Saying Neil was better than JCM to me is like saying Eddie Murphy does a better Buckwheat than Buckwheat.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Jane. While I can see why many have a personal bond with JCM, I don't think it's impossible (or even far-fetched) to have someone else play the role better than the original performer. I was actually just saying on the Hamilton thread that I thought Javier (the alternate) plays the role better than Lin. 

We can always give thanks and respect the performer who created the role, but it's certainly not impossible for someone to come along and perform it better. 

Margo319
#434Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:48pm

"You REALLY need to chill..."

ROFL.  I'm perfectly chill.  Just have a !GASP! different opinion than you.  

ChildofEarth
#435Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:51pm

To be honest I'm not offended if people don't like John the most. In fact, the first night I saw Taye the woman next to me said, "John Cameron Mitchell never put that much emotions (SIC) into the performance." The first night I saw Darren the girl behind me whispered to a friend, "He's so much better looking than the one from the movie!"

I didn't get mad. I didn't question taste. I wept for them, but I understand.

Updated On: 7/29/15 at 04:51 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#436Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:02pm

"He was the first Hedwig I saw live, but I was well aware of JCM and had watched the movie many times. Maybe I just saw him on an off night? He just didn't do it for me."

Not sure what you're saying. You say you were well aware of JCM and watched the film several times, maybe he had an off night? An off night in the film? huh?

First of all, the movie was a different animal than the live stage show. 

But more importantly, just like everywhere on this board, my opinions can be only mine and they are from my life experience. that being said, I'm going to put this out - there is no such thing as JCM having an off night (except for illness). Why do I say that? Because for me, Hedwig is JCM's own story, whether you think so or not. No one else can tell your own story better than you can. period.

p.s.I'm trying to put things in perspective, but it's hard, having been in the Jane for the whole run and seeing all the Hedwigs, you naturally form a close bond with the story.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#437Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:10pm

"there is no such thing as JCM having an off night (except for illness)."

I saw him perform while sick. Didn't matter.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#438Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:22pm

"Not sure what you're saying. You say you were well aware of JCM and watched the film several times, maybe he had an off night? An off night in the film? huh?"

I will try to make it more clear. While NPH was my first Hedwig, I had watched the movie a couple times before seeing the show. So while NPH was was the first Hedwig I saw live, I did not go into the show blind.

But more importantly, just like everywhere on this board, my opinions can be only mine and they are from my life experience.

I respect that. Which is why I said we will have to agree to disagree. 

there is no such thing as JCM having an off night (except for illness). Why do I say that? Because for me, Hedwig is JCM's own story, whether you think so or not. No one else can tell your own story better than you can. period.

I agree that no one can tell your own story better than you, but Hedwig isn't JCM's story. Yes he wrote the show, but he did not live Hedwig's life. JCM has made that specifically clear. I can understand where you are coming from because you have a personal attachment with the show (as do I with other shows) but there's nothing  "period" about your statement when they are based off personal bias.

I'm glad you loved JCM. I liked him also. I just preferred Neil.

I'm sure we can agree to disagree and be civil about this. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#439Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:24pm

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig that's my boy! (can you tell I love the guy?)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#440Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:31pm

I'm pretty biased, too. I mean, I do have this as a life event on Facebook:

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#441Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:36pm

^ That's incredibly hysterical and awesome.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#442Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:55pm

""I thought Neil was the best to be honest."
Saying Neil was better than JCM to me is like saying Eddie Murphy does a better Buckwheat than Buckwheat."

I'm torn becuse the pathos and depths of Eddy Murphy's Buckwheat was so moving.

I can state unequivocably that Eddie Murphy does a better Gumby than Gumby.  

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#443Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:00pm

^ love your devotion to me, skis.

And...LOVE your suit!

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#444Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:38pm

Any time anyone on this board expresses a favorable opinion about NPH as Hedwig, Jane2 immediately jumps in with belittling remarks about not only his performance (how it consisted of little more than glossy veneer, the word "Vegas" is often used) but also how anyone who enjoyed NPH's performance must be a philistine (or a Phyllis Stein, as the case may be) lacking the emotional depth necessary to understand or appreciate Hedwig, the character or the show. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#445Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 6:43pm

yes, J52, I do to some extent.

WickedLittleRentHead Profile Photo
WickedLittleRentHead
#446Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 8:34pm

I am a NPH Hedwig lover and I think I grasp the understanding and emotion of Hedwig very well.

You can't please everyone and people are going to like certain actors in he role more than others. 

LightsOut90
#447Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:06pm

any chance of a stage door update?

ChildofEarth
#448Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/29/15 at 11:09pm

Was at the show tonight - he seems to have a firmer grasp on the choreography. He didn't look as terrified of the Sugar Daddy stuff. I'm still not sure with the lines - it just takes so long between songs that the show drags and goes over by 25 minutes. The songs just won't be my taste.

I'm still extremely underwhelmed, particularly with his Tommy stuff and his weird Jamaican accent, but it wasn't a complete train wreck like the other night. I would definitely keep waiting until September if you have the luxury.

As for stage door, from what I've seen he signs for about ten minutes and it's usually the people right by the barrier.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#449Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:28am

I was also there tonight.

There were one too many technical hiccups (the microphones crapped out a total of four times) for my liking, but Taye handled them and incorporated it into the show. Granted, this contributed to the show running a total of about two hours. Additionally, in regards to time, I didn't mind the show running longer than normal because I thought some of the improvisational moments of the show (I won't spoil them) were pure gold. I found myself laughing as hard as I did with John Cameron Mitchell, and that was a high-set bar.

He still needs to work on the words and timing to the songs more (he butchered the monologue in "Angry Inch"), but compared to what I had heard on the bootleg, he's giving the "rock" songs ("Tear Me Down", "Angry Inch") their due diligence as opposed to the bluesy phrasing he sang with on the bootleg. The song that needs the most work though is "Exquisite Corpse"...which was just purely a mess in every way.

Two other quibbles - His weird Jamaican accent (which has been noted to death already) and the sad fact that he sweats so much that all of the makeup is gone by the midpoint of the show, and so it's just Diggs in a Wig. (The sweating made for a golden moment though when he couldn't stop sliding on the car to save his life and Yitzhak had to push and position her on the car so she would stay on. The audience was in stitches).

I would give him a solid 5.5-6/10...He has the potential to be something magnificent, but he's nowhere near close yet.

Stage Door: The guy said he would be about an hour, but Taye and Rebecca both came out in about 20 minutes. Taye was a bit shy and just managed to run around and sign the front two rows, while Rebecca took her time and met and signed with everyone.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Videos