pixeltracker

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival- Page 2

Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#25Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:44pm

You know how bitchy fags can be.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#26Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:44pm

Also, I'd like to see Tony Yazbeck as Nicky Arnstein.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#27Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:45pm

Kelli O'Hara's presence as Fanny will make the show much less ethnic and a lot more accesible to tourists. Matt Morrison's following from Glee of course make him natural to be Nick Arnstein and Victoria Clark is perfect for Mrs. Brice.

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#28Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:47pm

I really can't see Kelli as Fanny. She is so talented, she needs an original show to highlight HER talents.

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#29Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:48pm

"I'm a petit-fours on a plateful of onion rolls!"

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:50pm

This is going to be a real annoying 2 years of speculation.

Michael Bennett
#31Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:52pm

If Kelli O'Hara is not available I would like to see Rebecca Luker play the part.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#32Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:53pm

How about Mary Testa? Or Mary Stout? Or Mary Alice?

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#33Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:54pm

"LEA MICHELLE?

I do NOT understand what people see in this girl. Her voice is nasally when she tries to "belt." Her version of "Don't Rain on My Parade" is like nails on a chalkboard. Awful."

I presume that's a bad joke about the best Broadway singer of the current generation? And up there as one of the greatest voices ever to come out of Broadway?

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#34Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:54pm

We'll forget about this in a month, when there's speculation about Bernadette Peters replacing Kristen Chenoweth in Promises, Promises. She looks young enough. Right? Then, she’ll move on to playing Fanny in this revival.

WOSQ
#35Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:55pm

Forget the casting for a bit.

What in the holy hell are they going to do with that book - Act Two to be specific?

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Michael Bennett
#36Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:56pm

Hopefully throw it in the garbage and start over, or at least pull a lot from the film.

I personally can not tell if Lea Michele has one of the best Broadway voices of her generation because she is always auto-tuned on her television show.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#37Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:57pm

I vote Lea Michele. I've loved her since her Spring Awakening days!

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#38Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 3:58pm

See her live...the jokes about Rachel's perfect pitch etc. on Glee? Not one word of a lie, and the same in Lea's case.

Yankeefan007
#39Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:00pm

"I presume that's a bad joke about the best Broadway singer of the current generation? And up there as one of the greatest voices ever to come out of Broadway?"

Ha
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 04:00 PM

callitquits
#40Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:06pm

Michele is so far from being the right kind of funny for Fanny Brice, it's absurd. Fanny is supposed to be purposely funny, ALWAYS. Although she's often hilarious on Glee, her character's humor derives from the fact that all of her "punchlines" are UNINTENTIONALLY funny.

And count me in the "autotune works wonders" group re: her voice. Undoubtedly, Michele has a fine voice, but I think "the best voice of her generation"/"one of the best to ever come out of Broadway" is a huuuuuge stretch. Watching her sing live is like watching paint dry for me. Pretty, but so, so bland. To me, nothing about Michele is right for Fanny Brice. I actually think she'd be downright cringeworthy, but to each his own.

Michael Bennett
#41Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:09pm

I am not going to speak much as to whether she could handle the demands of the role, but I will say, all joking aside, that sometimes the most obvious people for a role are ultimately the least interesting.

The actress playing Brice doesn't need to have a voice like Streisand, but more than anything (and Streisand had this in spades) she needs to be totally unique. A complete original. That is what made Brice special. She was unlike anyone.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#42Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:12pm

BWWers...they're the snarkiest people...in the woooorld.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Yankeefan007
#43Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:13pm

And that's the thing about Leslie Kritzer, Lea Michele, Stephanie J. Block: dime-a-dozen.

Kritzer, out of those 3, comes the closest...but she's old.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#44Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:14pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think Julia Murney is PERFECT for this part. Her performance of "People" at the Actor's Fund concert was astounding and I would love for her to get the chance to do it. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I think she would be fantastic.

Michael Bennett
#45Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:17pm

Former poster Margo Channing and I used to concur that Sandra Bernhard (who was Jule Styne's choice for a revival briefly in the late 80s) would probably would have done something really wonderful and different with the material simply because she was/is so unique.

I'm in the camp that says there aren't any Broadway stars at the moment (Kritzer included) who are right for this.

Yankeefan007
#46Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:18pm

She reads older than Kritzer does.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#47Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:23pm

Rebecca Luker? Are you kidding me? Awful. She can't act to save her life. She's completely wrong for the role and too old.

And Matthew Morrison? Jesus Christ. All wrong.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#48Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:23pm

A quote from the rave Kritzer got in The Times, if people are interested:

"Ms. Kritzer, handed prime fixings, is setting a table of joy, with her own flair.

They are a pair. It is no secret that Ms. Streisand was on a star trip, ad libbing, changing tempi. Ms. Kritzer plays a star with generosity of spirit, paying as much mind to ensemble and to characterization as to vocal finesse. Fanny Brice had a mouth and she had refinement. Yes, Ms. Kritzer is funny and elegant, sings a ballad meltingly, hits every high note, accurately, and holds it until you drop
..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/15/nyregion/theater-review-a-revival-mines-a-golden-age.html

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 04:23 PM

Michael Bennett
#49Funny Girl, With Sher at Helm, Aimed for Broadway Revival
Posted: 6/8/10 at 4:25pm

Its good to see you recognize a joke when you see one Munk...

Videos