pixeltracker

Next to Normal Philly last night?- Page 2

Next to Normal Philly last night?

KirbyCat
#25Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 10:36am

Simply put, flying monkey...... you're a massive bitch.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 10:46am

I saw the show last night in Philly. Ripley (and the rest of the cast) were all in the show.

Alice's voice improved as the show went on. Parts of Just Another Day sounded awful and I thought Pearl would be making an appearance before long. But, Alice got better, and although her voice has definitely changed since she started playing this role, I wouldn't say it was entirely unpleasant to listen to last night. I still love the raw emotion that she sings with. Her acting was joyfully much more restrained than it was the final weeks of her Broadway run, and her second act is still thrilling. She remains entirely committed to the role every moment she's onstage. Still one of the most exciting, dynamic performances I've ever seen.

The big standout was Emma Hunton, who, with all respect to Jenn Damiano and Meghann Fahy, is far and away the definitive Natalie. Holy cow. What a performance. I saw her go on when she briefly covered the role on Broadway and thought she was great then. However, she's even better now. The depth she brings to the role (and the way she integrates the humor) is unmatched. Her voice is gorgeous and her acting gutsy. If she opened the show on Broadway she'd have beaten Karen Olivo and won the Tony.

I was also mightily impressed with Preston Sadleir, who was a great Henry. I particularly enjoyed the way he played him like an actual stoner. Jeremy Kushnier was also fantastic- his "rockstar" might be the best I've ever heard. Both Preston and Jeremy are probably the best I've seen in those respective roles as well.

Curt Hansen has an oustanding voice (though he didn't go for the high note at the end of I'm Alive), but he wasn't quite the "presence" that Aaron and Kyle Dean Massey were.

And then there was Asa. He has a great voice, but it's totally wrong for this role. Dan needs to have a big, booming voice, not the pop tenor that Asa has. His acting was all too timid and passive. Alice steamrolls over him, especially in act 2. He certainly does nothing to excise the memory of Brian D'Arcy James (the definitive Dan, in my opinion).

Overall, the tour cast was outstanding. I'm seeing the matinee today, too, and hoping for an understudy or two, just to see something different.
Updated On: 6/25/11 at 10:46 AM

BroadwayShowTime
#27Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 4:14pm

Wait.. is Alice back to 8 shows a week again? has she been out at all during the Philly run so far?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 5:06pm

Cool review of the cast, adamgreer. Did you notice any changes? How did you think the set and show fits in a large house?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/25/11 at 05:06 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:07pm

I was sitting in the second row at one performance and the first at the other, so I didn't have any problem with the small scope of the show. However, I cannot imagine what the experience was like for anyone not seated in the first 7-8 rows. The Academy of Music is massive (nearly 2900 seats versus 800 at the Booth) and I just don't know how the show plays to the people in the 3rd and 4th balconies.

There were a very few minor changes- one bit of Diana's dialogue was changed at the end of Maybe. This change was actually incorporated into the last few months of the Broadway run, too. There were a couple of very minor changes to the staging. For instance, at the end of the show, Diana no longer reads a book, but looks at photos and letters, which I liked better. During Wish I Was Here, the medical staff does this strange Nazi walk while they're wheeling the gurney around (which I didn't like). The music box is now a lavender color and is bedazzled (presumably so people can see it farther back). Nothing really major at all.

Also, the full cast was in again at the matinee, and Alice actually sounded stronger than last night. However, a friend of mine is at tonight's performance and Pearl is on.
Updated On: 6/25/11 at 08:07 PM

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#30Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:41pm

I saw it last night and generally agree with adamgreer. It was a thrill to see Ripley in the roll again, even with her voice not being at its strongest. She's still able to bring so much to the role, and her performance has just as much (if not more) raw emotion and honesty than it did on Broadway.

Emma Hunton was outstanding, and easily my favorite performance of the night. I initially didn't care for Curt Hansen or Preston Sadlier, but both grew on me and I ended up enjoying both a great deal (especially Sadlier, with "Hey #3/Perfect for You (Reprise)" being one of the performance's highlights). I didn't have any problems with Asa Somers or Jeremy Kushnier, but neither stood out in the ways others have in those roles.

As for seating, I was sitting in the balcony (second level of the Academy, fairly far back). The experience certainly felt more removed than it did on Broadway, but not so much that I wasn't able to get into the performance. I can't imagine what it must have been like sitting in the Amphitheater. i've sat up there for previous tours and can't even believe that they sell half the seats up there.

Overall, I'm quite glad I decided to check out the tour. The cast is wonderful, and it just reminded me why I love this show as much as I do.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#31Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 12:49am

Just got back from the evening show, Pearl was on, so much for an 8-show Ripple effect. Pearl was lovely, and brought a whole new layer of innocence and purity to Diana that I've never seen with Ripley or Mazzie.

Too tired to write more, but I left my phone there, so I'll have to run back tomorrow and that'll be...fun(?).

Jake01
#32Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 1:08am

TOTALLY agree about Emma Hunton. The Chicago Tribune review hit the nail on the head when he said she was more effective in the role than Jennifer Damiano. Jennifer is too statuesque, too gorgeous. You have no doubt she'll turn out alright. Emma is more believable as a real teenager. With her, the character's future is much more ambiguous.(and incidentally, she was the NICEST person at the stage door)

geaj Profile Photo
geaj
#33Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 1:19am

I saw Alice, and although raspy, she OWNED it! It was worth the money!

geaj Profile Photo
geaj
#34Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 2:01am

Emma, was outstanding!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#35Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 2:07am

Jennifer is too statuesque, too gorgeous. You have no doubt she'll turn out alright.

Right, because beautiful people never have real problems. I loved Emma as Natalie, but Meghann Fahy remains my favorite. I also really loved Asa as Dan. He's actually my favorite vocally and his acting destroyed me.

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#36Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 8:03am

"Right because beautiful people never have real problems."

- My thoughts exactly when I read Jake01's thoughts.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#37Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 12:55pm

Usually when I see/hear "but considering what I'd been through" it's an automatic eye roll. Sometimes I wonder if I've clicked out of the Broadway board and into a homosexual self-help forum.

Sometimes people experience actual traumas and sometimes they discuss them. Choosing not to do so doesn't make you in any way superior to those who do. And not everyone here who has discussed their issues or sought the opinions of others are homosexual. That's where the "fag bashery" comment comes from. When I brought up my issues on the OT board months ago, the response and support I received HELPED me work through some of the trauma and the shared experiences of others was a comfort to know that there were many others who could relate to my experience. So rather than trivializing and generalizing others, I encourage anyone to share if they feel they need some support. I did it because I do personally know many people in these forums and have grown some bonds of friendship over the last 8 years. Flaunting an ability to show compassion or empathy in no way makes you appear interesting or attractive. Quite the reverse.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

rjm516
#38Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 1:00pm

Pearl is on in today's matinee, my parents just called.
I saw it Tuesday, and Alice's voice, as I said before, was not good. The people around me were complaining that they couldn't understand or hear anything she sang (and I was in the front row). I'm glad to hear it got better as the week went on. But yeah she's out right now. Wonder if she'll do the final performance tonight?

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#39Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 1:30pm

Yes Mister Matt, I get it. Life sometimes sucks and we have to tell our online friends just how much it sucks to put things into perspective. The majority of the posters on here are either straight women or gay men. There aren't very many straight men lurking around these parts. If you want to take my comments as "fag bashery" then that's fine, I've never cared what people thought of me before and I doubt I'll start now. You shouldn't care what I think of you either, and I'm sure you don't. However, if you are willing to wear your heart on your sleeve in a public forum, then you must be prepared for the eye roles that come with doing so. Cue the violins!
Updated On: 6/26/11 at 01:30 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#40Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 1:34pm

Some quick thoughts:
-Emma Hunton makes Natalie funny, and witty, but also REAL. Beautiful, perfect voice for the role.
-Pearl was really great, I've never wept so hard at the first music box scene then when she did it last night.
-Asa was good, but I agree that Dan needs to have power behind the music, and he seemed meek. And also he played a lot of "I've Been" straight to the audience, was it always (or ever?) an aside?
-Curt was great, and he did hit the note at the end of "I'm Alive" last night. Another thing I noticed is that he stood down center looking up at Natalie during "Superboy..." did that ever happen in the Broadway production or was it new for the tour?
-Preston was a very funny stoner and brought a lot of heart to Henry.
-Jeremy Kushnier had a great rock voice, but it's hard to make Dr. Madden a standout, he has to be the emotionless straight man of them all.

Jersey_Girl Profile Photo
Jersey_Girl
#41Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 5:37pm

I was there last night also but had different thoughts than most:
- Emma Hutton is close to 20 and does not look in any way like a 16 year old. It was, thus, difficult for me to believe her in that role.
- Agree that Asa was mis-cast as Dan.
- Was pleasantly surprised by Curt and thought he captured Gabe quite well.
- Loved Preston - think we'll see him again somewhere.
- IMHO, Pearl was the weak link. I always try to give an understudy some leeway but she showed little emotion (from my 7th row seat) and was almost robotic in her motions. It appeared as if she either touched her hand to her heart or pointed at Gabe every 5 minutes. I did not connect with her at all. There was no collective 'gasp' from the audience when the birthday cake first comes out and the audience realizes Gabe is dead. People sitting around me who had not seen the show before were confused when we spoke at intermission. I, personally, was very disappointed by the production and wish I could have seen it with Alice again.

BroadwayAddict4
#42Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 9:38pm

For all those that maybe interested Pearl and Jason Watson were on for Diana and Dan tonight...
Updated On: 6/26/11 at 09:38 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#43Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 9:45pm

I've found it a little difficult to follow Alice's attendance this weekend, was she on for any shows?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/26/11 at 09:45 PM

BroadwayAddict4
#44Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 9:50pm

She was on for all of them except Saturday evening and both Sunday performances.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 9:58pm

LOL, that is such an optimistic way to put it. I would prefer "She missed all of them except Saturday Matineé"...

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#46Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 10:26pm

@Jersey Girl, were you the one who was talking to the people in front of you about Alice and then Anything Goes at intermission?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#47Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 11:15pm

Saw the closing performance tonight, I've never seen the show, but listened to the recording plenty of times, so I knew most of the plot. Still, I was surprised how moved I was by it; the final scene with Dan and Gabe had me shaking uncontrollably.

Pearl was on for this performance, and since I'd read such great things here about her, I was still very excited to see her take on the role, and she did not disappoint. Her voice was absolutely gorgeous, and her acting was really heartbreaking. I thought she really did a great job and was a less manic Diana, which I enjoyed.

We also had Jason Watson on as Dan, who also gave a really moving performance. Great voice, and I though portrayed Dan's conflict very well.

Emma Hunton was the standout of the show for me. What a phenomenal performance- acting, singing, everything was brilliant. Loved her, as did the entire audience.

Also really liked Jeremy Kushnier and Preston Sadlier, who both did really solid work in their roles.

The only week link for me was Curt Hansen- he acted the role well and he's gorgeous, but his voice was distractingly nasal for me. I really didn't find any of his songs pleasant to listen to.

Overall, so thrilled I finally saw this show. Just a brilliant, beautiful show.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#48Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 11:30pm

Jeez I didn't realize there were so many Philadelphians or people so close to Philly on this board!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#49Next to Normal Philly last night?
Posted: 6/26/11 at 11:37pm

^Neither had I! I assumed very few people on here were near Philly.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos