Thank You, Roundabout

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#25Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:16am

I don't disagree, although I thoroughly enjoyed THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST, MAN & BOY, SONS OF THE PROPHET, and THE ROAD TO MECCA this past year. (And thought ANYTHING GOES was a belabored yawn. So to each their own.) Well-cast classic plays — could be worse. (MTC's WE LIVE HERE, anyone?) LOOK BACK IN ANGER doesn't interest me on several levels, but primarily because it's directed by the ridiculously overpraised Sam Gold. Not at all surprised to hear negative reports. There's no denying the fact that Roundabout has a dull, backward mindset — yeesh, just look at their circa-1990 poster graphics — but they appear to be fully committed to that at the moment for whatever reason, so I guess the only thing to do is pick and choose carefully.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 1/17/12 at 10:16 AM

ck12 Profile Photo
ck12
#26Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:55am

you all must be joking if you think ANYTHING GOES was anything of quality. It was the most underwhelming, squirm inducing, dull, embarrassing piece of musical theatre i have ever seen. And proof that Sutton Foster CANT & SHOULDNT do everything.

Updated On: 1/17/12 at 10:55 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:00am

Well, EARNEST, PROPHET, EVERYDAY RAPTURE, BRIEF ENCOUNTER, WISHFUL DRINKING, WAITING FOR GODOT, SUNDAY IN THE PARK, 39 STEPS and the others that people say "SEE!! They do some great work!!" aren't really "Roundabout" shows. They were put on by them but not developed by the company. When they develop shows on their own, we get ROAD TO MECCA, MAN AND BOY, MRS. WARREN'S PROFESSION, THE PHILANTHROPIST, HEDDA GABLER, PRELUDE TO A KISS, HEARTBREAK HOUSE, TOUCH OF THE POET etc. etc. etc.

I really think it's time for them to shake things up over there and completely clean house and get people who are capable of making smart decisions for what to produce.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#28Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 11:34am

"The Roundabout: Manhattan's Community Theatre - sometimes we get it right! (but only when we bring in someone else's production..."

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#29Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 12:08pm

That is why I cancelled my subscription years ago. Quality from one end of the spectrum to the other. And it only took about 5 years for them to stop calling to renew.

Hopefully I didn't just curse myself saying that. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Gothampc
#30Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 3:29pm

If you think of The Roundabout as community theater, then it's not so bad.

(Their productions have stunk for years! I thought they would go under when I saw their crap in the early 90s)

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

wexy
#31Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 6:46pm

I keep Roundabout subscription because I have great seats and I'm part of the social series and my friends are there. There has been more bad than good.
Ashes To Ashes, The Philanthropist, Boys From Syracuse. The People In The Picture were pretty bad..
I saw the original RTM and don't care about seeing it again
and now I agree with Jordan 95% of the time so I guess I will be napping at the next one...

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#32Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:07pm

Considering that between the $10 tickets for early previews and the fact that EVERY Roundabout show (even the popular, extended ones) end up on numerous papering services, there's no reason to subscribe. You can see the entire season for about $50, and it's not even worth that, usually. What does a $200 subscription pay for anyway--Todd Haimes's half-a-million dollar salary?

I've always liked LOOK BACK IN ANGER, and I enjoyed Matthew Rhys's work on BROTHERS AND SISTERS, so I've actually been looking forward to this production. But the early reports and Roundabout's recent history have me skeptical.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

wexy
#33Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/17/12 at 7:09pm

^^they are all on TDF anyways. But we do get vodka at the post parties now that they're sponsored again..

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

RemlapLBC
#34Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/18/12 at 1:03am

I couldn't agree with Gaveston2 more. The last few years of Gordon's tenure we just torture, as he felt the need to do "important" but ended up being bad.

I almost gave up on Michael Ritchie in season one after Dead End, or what ever that terrible play was that opened the Ahmanson, followed by the Black Rider. However, ever sense, he seemed to find his mark and I've been to the Taper more in the past 2 years than in the past 15 and most everything at the Ahmanson has been great, with several pre-Broadway premieres.

I'll defer to the NYers on Roundabout in general, but Cabaret with Alan Cummings at Studio 54 was amazing.

However, I've given up on subscribing. At the Ahmanson, most years, it's one or two great, shows, one or two ok shows, and one you can care less about. Buy good seats to the shows you really want to see, buy cheap seats on the ok shows and skip the shows you care less about. Far cheaper than subscribing. Plus, unless it's a smash hit, most shows have discounts, goldstar, etc, which again cheaper than subscribing.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#35Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/18/12 at 9:37am

The Roundabout's Cabaret was basically an import from the Donmar.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:09am

Exactly. Basically none of the shows mentioned that are "amazing" were actually developed by The Roundabout. They're excellent at bringing in existing works and I'll even admit my favorite play started as a Roundabout production (SIDE MAN) but times have really changed and what was once an exciting company with consistently interesting works has just let themselves go.

It really is time for them to sit down and listen to what we , the public, is saying and do something about it.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#37Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:15am

Didn't SIDE MAN originate at Classic Stage Company, anyway? Roundabout just brought it to Broadway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#38Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:17am

Side Man actually had its first production at New York Stage and Film (with the same production, director, and cast [mostly] that came in to town later).

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#39Thank You, Roundabout
Posted: 1/18/12 at 11:20am

Got it. I knew it wasn't a Roundabout production from the beginning. Honestly, the last show that they built from the ground-up that was really stunning, that I can think of, is their revival of SHE LOVES ME.

Videos