Holiday Inn Previews

mailhandler777
#25Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 12:26am

From what people are saying it sounds like it didn't change much from the run at Goodspeed. I loved it there. Will have to see it here. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 12:28am

How's the pysical production? This does seem an off choice for Roundabout, but is most of the stuff they do. Diane Lane in a revival? C'mon. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#27Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 12:37am

Song list? Has it changed at all from the previous production?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#28Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 12:42am

The set looks much like the set from, wait for it, White Christmas! Same layout of the farmhouse, barn, etc. 

The thing with the book is so many of the issues could be cleaned up with a little attention, but seeing as this had an out of town already, I fear they aren't interested in making it any different than what was presented tonight. 

For example, the problem with Louise singing the opening section of Shakin' the Blues Away could easily be solved by having one (or some) of Jim's dancer friends sing that opening stanza. The only people on stage are Jim, Louise and the dancers. Jim and the dancers have been touring the country for the past few years and could easily have been down South at a prayer revival. Louise is literally the only character on stage that shouldn't be singing these lyrics. So Jim is down in the dumps. One of the dancers says, remember that time we played Biloxi? Remember what they told us? "There's an old superstition, way down South..." and so forth. Then Louise can "catch the fever" and join in hilariously on a later chorus like a fish out of water, but still speaking the universal language of music. 

Making the songs fit in a jukebox musical is always difficult, but with some effort they can make it work. So where was the effort tonight? 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 9/2/16 at 12:42 AM

WhizzerMarvin
#29Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 1:15am

Song List:

Steppin Out With My Baby/I'll Capture Your Heart

The Little Things in Life

Blue Skies

Marching Along With Time

Heat Wave

It's a Lovely Day Today

Plenty to Be Thankful For

Plenty to Be Thankful For (Reprise)

Marching Along With Time (Reprise)

Nothing More to Say

Shakin The Blues Away

White Christmas

Holiday Inn/Happy Holiday

Let's Start the New Year Right

ACT TWO

You're Easy to Dance With

Let's Take an Old-Fashioned Walk

Be Careful, It's My Heart

Cheek to Cheek

Easter Parade

Song of Freedom

Let's Say It With Firecrackers/Song of Freedom 

Nothing More to Say (Reprise)

White Christmas (Reprise)

Finale

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

After Eight
#30Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 8:59am

The show lacks freshness and imagination, and the corn is as high as a elephant's eye. The Irving Berlin songs are not well served, either by their arrangements, or by the way they are shoehorned into the plot. The design struck me as fairly chintzy.

Oh, well. At least it's not a dirgical, a lecture, or a screed. For that, we can be grateful.

neonlightsxo
#31Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 9:18am

"It's a true star making turn..."

Haven't seen Holiday Inn yet but you obviously didn't see Corbin as Usnavi. THAT was a star making turn.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#32Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 9:27am

Apologies for diverting the topic of the thread, but I have two Access10 tickets to sell for this Sunday's 2:00pm performance.  I'm only looking to cover my loss, so $20 for the pair.  Please PM me if you're interested!

Edit: The tickets have been claimed!

Updated On: 9/3/16 at 09:27 AM

lynnetoomey
#33Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 10:21am

Good morning

10086sunset
#34Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:37am

neonlightsxo said: ""It's a true star making turn..."

Haven't seen Holiday Inn yet but you obviously didn't see Corbin as Usnavi. THAT was a star making turn.
"

Neon, I did not see him during his In The Heights run...Wish I did...

Regarding Holiday Inn, my only complaint is he's offstage so much in the first act...

WhizzerMarvin
#35Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:42am

neonlightsxo said: ""It's a true star making turn..."

And even better than his Usnavi, which I agree was wonderful, was his work in the Godspell revival- yes that revival! After liking his Usnavi so much I had to go back see Bleu when he replaced Hunter Parrish, and I was glad I did. He elevated the entire production and was loaded with charisma. It's a shame to see his first time on Broadway not as a replacement be in such a poorly written role. 

neonlightsxo
#36Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:56am

I drew the line at sitting through that production of Godspell again, Whizzer. But I'm not surprised to hear it!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#37Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 12:06pm

I thought White Christmas was unbearable grave-robbing schlock, but this sounds even worse...

LightsOut90
#38Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 2:40pm

I actually surprisingly liked this, and the audience was super into it, does it rehash some White Christmas storyline, yes, was there some technical issues, yes, but there are some great moments, i cant think of another show where there has been jump roping tap dancers

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#39Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 3:31pm

I'm shocked at some of the responses here to this, (Except from After Eight, who still has fond memories of taking his Great Grandkids to the films original premiere) since I honestly just had the best time at this show. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 3:31pm

We enjoyed it . What   I found fascinating was the amount of merchandise they were selling . They would put many long runs to shame. Maybe they have their eye on transferring before opening. No idea how it will fade critically. We enjoyed it and now we move on to something else.

Poster Emeritus

MANDYPATINKIN2012
#41Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 3:32pm

I fully disagree with the negative comments here - I absolutely loved this production!  I thought the dance was inspired and the story was completely joyful.  Let us not forget, the film Holiday Inn came before White Christmas.  And this show actually had very little Christmas in it.  The little flubs and small things that didn't work were miniscule in my mind and I'm sure a lot of that will be fixed and changed during previews.  But frankly, I wasn't even thinking about that, I was having a blast, as was the audience around me.  And Corbin is a STAR!  I will definitely be going back to see how it evolves.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 3:35pm

Looked  damned good for a first preview. Expected naysayers here where if it is not a certain show it is crap.No longer get invested in any show .

Poster Emeritus

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#43Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 5:13pm

I'll be there tonight and if my phone doesn't die, I will post my thoughts on the train ride home smiley

wolfwriter2
#44Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 6:55pm

Mr Roxy said: "Looked  damned good for a first preview.

Agree completely, that it looked in very good shape for a first preview, despite a barely noticeable glitch or two. The cast was, for the most part, first rate, but the material (book) is so lackluster and the songs, so oddly used, that, I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

I'm always glad when folks like a show, even if I don't. FWIW, my companion was annoyed at me that I didn't like it, but even he was surprised by the empty seats after intermission.

And, I agree that Corbin Bleu

Agree completely, that it looked in very good shape for a first preview, despite a barely noticeable glitch or two. The cast was, for the most part first rate, but the material (book) is so lackluster, I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

I'm always glad when folks like a show, even if I don't. FWIW, my companion was annoyed at me that I didn't like it, but even he was surprised by the empty seats after intermission.

And, I agree that Corbin Bleu was a standout talent, but with no character to speak of and not much to work with, it only made me look forward to seeing him in something worthy of his talent, in the future.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#45Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 6:58pm

If you're referring to the large gap in seats in the mezz after intermission, a ton of people moved down to better seats. 

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#46Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 7:34pm

Question about seating:

Is AX or a front row for this production?

10086sunset
#47Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 9:11pm

AX is the front row...

I was on the left side aisle last night in A and the seat was wonderful...

Famebroadway2
#48Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 9:19pm

Intermission right now and this show is WONDERDUL! The choreography, sets, and orchestra are all excellent. Haven't liked a show this much in a while...blush

Updated On: 9/2/16 at 09:19 PM

Famebroadway2
#49Holiday Inn Previews
Posted: 9/2/16 at 11:29pm

OK, I almost passed up tickets for tonight because of the early reviews from last night, but boy I'm so happy I didn't! I really loved this show.  Im the critical type that picks apart a show down to its threads and I didn't with this one. Every element worked perfectly for me.  This is what White Christmas should have been.  

The choreography is very reminiscent of 42nd St, but that's ok because it worked. Sure it's silly, frothy, and fluffy as a marshmallow, but I loved every minute of it. If you get the chance GO. 

Videos