pixeltracker

Broadway Star Solo Albums- Page 2

Broadway Star Solo Albums

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#25Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/18/17 at 5:02pm

I second Sutton Foster's Live at the Cafe Carlyle. It's one of my favorite albums period. I love listening to it, as we get a glimpse of her personality along with several songs from her album WISH and her Broadway roles.

I also enjoy both of Laura Osnes's albums, DREAM A LITTLE DREAM, also a live album at the Carlyle, and IF I TELL YOU, an album of Maury Yeston songs based on a concert she did at 54 Below. The live album is obviously a better mix, though I probably slightly prefer IF I TELL YOU.

Josh Groban's STAGES is also excellent, as is Alice Ripley's DAILY PRACTICE, which is an album of acoustic rock covers. 

bk
#26Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/18/17 at 7:27pm

GavestonPS said: "The Other One said: "Not Broadway style at all, but Steven Pasquale's Somethin' Like Love is a great late-night album.

"

I was going to put that first on my list, but you are right: not a theater album. It's slow jazz.

I also second Kristin Chenowith's Let Yourself Go.

And I love Judy Kaye's solo albums, particularly the two saluting the female singers she admires (one covers Broadway singers; the other film singers).

And to go back 20 years: if you like Jerry Herman, I don't think you can do better than Paige O'Hara's solo album, Loving You. (Full disclosure: she's a friend; I don't pretend to be entirely objective.)

"

No one can go back twenty years - they were barely born way back THEN :)  Otherwise, dont'cha think someone would have mentioned, oh, I don't know - Liz Callaway and any of the albums we did, Laurie Beechman, those you've mentioned, Rebecca Luker, Brent Barrett - when I began recording B'way singers no one was doing those kinds of albums anymore, save for the occasional Betty Buckley or Barbara Cook and those bigger singers or a handful of cabaret folks.  Nothing like it is today.  

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#27Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/18/17 at 8:58pm

I tend to prefer the quirkiest of solo albums, so here's a selection of those:

Colm Wilkinson- COLM C. T. WILKINSON. Before his incarnation as Broadway leading man, producers weren't quite sure what to do with the eclectic tenor, and this (bootleg?) compilation has everything from folk rock to broad easy-listening pop, with a few bizarre but convincing stabs at Seventies hard rock. The best cut, "R&R Music," sounds like Led Zeppelin playing the score to Rocky Horror.

Mandy Patinkin- MANDY PATINKIN. It's not the best known or best-regarded of Patinkin's albums, but it's the strangest and most fascinating. The "somewhat overindulgent" star embraces everything from Sondheim to blackface-era minstrelsy, memorably impersonating an entire diner on "Coffee in a Cardboard Cup."

Tim Minchin- SIT (as Timmy the Dog). Acclaimed musical star and composer Minchin has released several albums of his live act, but only one out-of-print studio album which has no overlaps with his other released material. The usual elements are there, with wordplay, jazz piano interspersed with singer-songwriter pop, and monologue-like lyrics. 

Tim Curry- READ MY LIPS. Curry's high-camp second solo album (his first, "...From the Vaults," was canned and not released until a few years back) is full of grandiose and bizarre gestures- it's Bob Ezrin meets Harry Nilsson, with a dash of the Muppet Show. Like the better-regarded Nilsson, Curry bounces between genres with an eye for the kitschy and the sentimental; he shares Nilsson's love of phony accents and Caribbean rhythms. The moments played straight (pun not intended- for a man who has never been open about any element of his personal life or sexuality, this is a really REALLY gay album) are among the best- "Sloe Gin" is a long, dark blues number, and "Alan," one of the most Nilssonesque pieces, is a slice-of-life portrait of two lovers heading home after another night ended in an attempted gay-bashing.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#28Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/18/17 at 8:58pm

BK, I have a shelf full of Beechman and Calloway CDs. I didn't know you had produced some of them. Surely you know your work gets nothing but kudos from me! I didn't mean to neglect giving you credit. (I didn't add the Beechman and Calloway CDs to my list here because I can't remember the titles.)

I know Paige had problems with her Jerry Herman CD because the record company simply refused to promote it, not believing solo albums by Broadway -type artists were viable, not even at the height of (for her) the Beauty and the Beast craze.

I'm hoping the recordings of current artists are getting a better shot. This site certainly helps, as I learn about and buy products that I used to have to "happen upon" in a record store.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#29Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/18/17 at 9:15pm

I love Betty Buckley's Ahh, Men (not to mention the wonderful new Story Songs).

Gavin Creel's is also very nice.

Ute Lemper has some nice jazz standard albums and also "Berlin Cabaret Songs". That one is done in both German and English. Her "star" status here is lesser known than Europe. She did do Velma Kelly in Chicago for a while here on Broadway, also more well known in London. She did Sally Bowles in Paris.

The "Berlin" cd has some great songs especially for Pride Month..."The Lavender Song"; "When The Special Girlfriend".

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

bk
#30Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/19/17 at 1:20am

GavestonPS said: "BK, I have a shelf full of Beechman and Calloway CDs. I didn't know you had produced some of them. Surely you know your work gets nothing but kudos from me! I didn't mean to neglect giving you credit. (I didn't add the Beechman and Calloway CDs to my list here because I can't remember the titles.)

I know Paige had problems with her Jerry Herman CD because the record company simply refused to promote it, not believing solo albums by Broadway -type artists were viable, not even at the height of (for her) the Beauty and the Beast craze.

I'm hoping the recordings of current artists are getting a better shot. This site certainly helps, as I learn about and buy products that I used to have to "happen upon" in a record store.

"

Nothing in my post was directed at you, my friend - you were the only one who was mentioning performers who are apparently so passe now that no one remembers them :)  Actually, the Paige Jerry Herman CD did very well for Varese Sarabande, where I produced all of the singer recordings.  They promoted it as they promoted all the vocal albums - some sold better than others - Laurie's two albums were huge sellers - Paige's album did fine and no one was unhappy with its sales.  I know what the sales are for most of this stuff, especially the Live stuff from Studio 54, which, to my ears, all sound pretty bad, recorded through the sound system rather than doing it the right way.  And the sales would make you wonder why they bother.  

When I began doing the singer albums, we had it all to ourselves, which is why all those early albums sold incredibly well.  Five years later the deluge began and that was kind of the beginning of the end for everyone.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#31Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/19/17 at 2:11am

No one can go back twenty years - they were barely born way back THEN :)  Otherwise, dont'cha think someone would have mentioned, oh, I don't know - Liz Callaway and any of the albums we did, Laurie Beechman, those you've mentioned, Rebecca Luker, Brent Barrett - when I began recording B'way singers no one was doing those kinds of albums anymore, save for the occasional Betty Buckley or Barbara Cook and those bigger singers or a handful of cabaret folks.  Nothing like it is today. "

Rebecca Luker showed a lot of creativity with her treatments of Cole Porter standards that we've heard two hundred times, but whoever advised her to use that photo on the album cover did her no favor.

Kelli O'Hara has been a Broadway star of increasing importance for over ten years and she just released her second solo album. Mostly songs that she sings in concert. 

Do you have to appear in a few films and TV series, no matter how dopey, before you have a shot at commercial success? 

bk
#32Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/19/17 at 3:22am

OlBlueEyes said: "No one can go back twenty years - they were barely born way back THEN :)  Otherwise, dont'cha think someone would have mentioned, oh, I don't know - Liz Callaway and any of the albums we did, Laurie Beechman, those you've mentioned, Rebecca Luker, Brent Barrett - when I began recording B'way singers no one was doing those kinds of albums anymore, save for the occasional Betty Buckley or Barbara Cook and those bigger singers or a handful of cabaret folks.  Nothing like it is today. "

Rebecca Luker showed a lot of creativity with her treatments of Cole Porter standards that we've heard two hundred times, but whoever advised her to use that photo on the album cover did her no favor.

Kelli O'Hara has been a Broadway star of increasing importance for over ten years and she just released her second solo album. Mostly songs that she sings in concert. 

Do you have to appear in a few films and TV series, no matter how dopey, before you have a shot at commercial success? 

"

The cover photo for Rebecca's album was Rebecca's idea so no one advised her - she advised herself and we all thought it was kicky and fun.  MY concept for the cover was to have her nude in a champagne glass (not that you've be able to actually see anything, but I just liked the idea of her in a champagne glass.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#33Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/19/17 at 8:52am

I know little about the recording industry except as a consumer, but it sounds like a helluva fun way to make a living compared to what I did.

Quite a few decades ago the Harvard Lampoon did a parody of Time magazine with the cover story "Does Sex Sell Magazines?" The cover photo really put that premise to the test for many men.

I would have thought that if you have a beautiful woman you  display her on the front and put the cute and witty photo on the back.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#34Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/20/17 at 5:57pm

Twiggy ("Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance"Broadway Star Solo Albums

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#35Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/20/17 at 6:47pm

Gorlois said: "I love Bernadette's live album, Sondheim, Etc.

Just before she'd lose her voice, Julie Andrews released two albums, one of lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and another by Richard Rodgers. Apparently it was to be a series of albums with different lyricists (and maybe composers, too?) but alas, it was not to be. We're lucky to have these anyway, and while her voice isn't in it's prime, she sounds so warm and rich and she's very much in control.

"

Peters' pop album, "Bernadette Peters," with songs by Carole Bayer Sager and the like, is also fantastic.

And I'd recommend Ellen Green's holiday album, "Songs for a Winter Night." I especially like her take on "Morning Has Broken."

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#36Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/20/17 at 7:36pm

BK, thanks for that final report on Paige's Loving You. I never asked her how the CD finally did, but I know at one point she was concerned because she was getting so many calls from friends who couldn't find the CD in stores. (That was pre-Amazon and pre-iTunes.)

Nowadays and despite living in the hinterlands, I get OBC recordings within minutes of their release in iTunes. So I guess everything new isn't bad.

jtishere
#37Broadway Star Solo Albums
Posted: 6/20/17 at 11:15pm

This thread is making my Spotify queue grow by the minute.

Not sure who originally brought up the Paige O'Hara album, but thank you. I wasn't aware of its existence and am now on a mission to track it down.

Josh Groban's Stages album is wonderful, and the Target deluxe edition has a couple of extra tracks, including "If I Can't Love Her" - interesting that, considering he wound up doing a version of "Evermore" from this year's live action Beauty and the Beast which to my mind is a bit of an inferior version of the former.

Billy Porter's new soulful Richard Rodgers tribute has been steadily growing on me. It's got some interesting arrangements, and his duet with India.Arie on "Carefully Taught" is sublime.

Videos