AEA Strike?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#25AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 9:59am

What Equity is saying publicly is they're asking for more money weekly (as it has been the 1k/week negotiated 11 years ago) and a split of 1% share after recoupment.

Negotiating higher pay is always difficult but I think splitting a share after recoupment is long overdue for casts of commercial productions. The work actors do during these labs truly adds to the show's success. (And stipulating it would be after recoupment rightly targets shows who have success.) If every creator on the show gets to continue profiting from their creativity after they're paid their fee, then the actor creating the roles should, too.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#26AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 1:51pm

BJR said: "What Equity is saying publicly is they're asking for more money weekly (as it has been the 1k/week negotiated 11 years ago) and a split of 1% share after recoupment.

Negotiating higher pay is always difficult but I think splitting a share after recoupment is long overdue for casts of commercial productions. The work actors do during these labs truly adds to the show's success. (And stipulating it would be after recoupment rightly targets shows who have success.) If every creator on the show gets to continue profiting from their creativity after they're paid their fee, then the actor creating the roles should, too.
"

I imagine the musicians, electricians, carpenters, company managers, publicists etc could all make a strong case that they also contributed to the success of a show and each want 1% as well.

JSquared2
#27AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 2:25pm

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "BJR said: "What Equity is saying publicly is they're asking for more money weekly (as it has been the 1k/week negotiated 11 years ago) and a split of 1% share after recoupment.

"

I imagine the musicians, electricians, carpenters, company managers, publicists etc could all make a strong case that they also contributed to the success of a show and each want 1% as well.

Not only that, but many productions have multiple labs over the course of several years --- with different casts in each one --- so we would potentially be talking about hundreds of people splitting up this tiny piece of the pie.  No one will be buying a summer home in the Hamptons with this extra money -- if they're lucky it might pay for a round-trip ticket on the Hamptons jitney per year!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#28AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 2:26pm

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "I imagine the musicians, electricians, carpenters, company managers, publicists etc could all make a strong case that they also contributed to the success of a show and each want 1% as well."

It seems like no thread is immune to going off the rails with nonsense. You do realize, do you not, that we are talking about people involved in the DEVELOPMENT who are not already compensated via a profit share? The people you mention are not involved in shows at this stage. Anyone can want anything. I, for instance, want rationality. We don't always get what we want.  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#29AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 8:41pm

In the comments of this Instagram post Kerry Butler says Beetljuice is not being affected by the strike, because they are on a production contract. https://www.instagram.com/p/BsV51rVBFDS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1063my1edm6n2

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JennH
#30AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 8:58pm

Can someone give a good explanation as to why Workshop Contracts can't be brought back rather than try to change the Lab Contracts? I mean this in the purest way.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#31AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/8/19 at 9:45pm

JennH said: "Can someone give a good explanation as to why Workshop Contracts can't be brought back rather than try to change the Lab Contracts? I mean this in the purest way."

well it hasn't gone away; it's just not popular. But it really doesn't matter what contract is employed, there still has to be a negotiation of wages, benefits, future rights, profit sharing etc. It's not like those issues evaporate if you change the name of the agreement.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#32AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:25am

Musicians and publicists are often involved in the development stage. But regardless, I wasn't saying they were, I was saying they will claim they make creative contributions to shows before they open and should also share in the profits. Do you really think 802 and Local One won't ask for something similar if Equity gets it? They may not have a valid case for asking for it, but I bet they will.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/9/19 at 9:59am

The difference is, electricians, carpenters, publicists, and company managers have no involvement in the creation of the production from an artistic standpoint. That's the argument here: that actors used to develop a play or musical in workshops or labs have some claim as creators of the final artistic work. Aspects of shows have been reconceived due to specific performers in development.  The ur-example of performers having claim to creator is A Chorus Line, which was adapted from the life stories of its original cast. Performers have a lot of artistic input which effects how the show develops. In some cases, an original performance becomes the design for the role entirely, and future replacements model it. 

I'm not sure if musical directors or orchestrators get a cut of the profits for their work, but the argument would be similar for them. But for a accompanist hired to do a workshop and has no artistic input? Not so much. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#34AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/9/19 at 10:15am

Kad has it right above. To elaborate and extend a bit: we are talking about work under the lab contract. That contract provides reduced compensation. The other people mentioned are either (a) paid in full or (b) not involved in the lab. (It seems there is a basic misunderstanding by some about what we are talking about.)

Please note, also, that a producer can pay actors their full contract and not involve any of these special lab contract provisions in the process. For example, traditionally they would go out of town and develop a show. The contract currently on strike pays actors less than half.  

itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#35AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/9/19 at 11:40am

HogansHero said: "Kad has it right above. To elaborate and extend a bit: we are talking about work under the lab contract. That contract provides reduced compensation. The other people mentioned are either (a) paid in full or (b) not involved in the lab. (It seems there is a basic misunderstanding by some about what we are talking about.)

Please note, also, that a producer can pay actors their full contract and not involve any of these special lab contract provisions in the process. For example, traditionally they wouldgo out of town and develop a show. The contract currently on strike pays actors less than half.
"

I'm not misunderstanding, what I'm saying is that the other unions will almost certainly ask for the same thing - even if the producers feel it is a very different situation. In a lab where there is a band, not just an accompanist, I'm sure they make contributions to the music, and I bet their union will make a similar argument AEA is making. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:21pm

The other unions can try, I suppose, but they wouldn't have a very compelling argument, or much precedent for doing so. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#37AEA Strike?
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:59pm

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "I'm not misunderstanding, what I'm saying is that the other unions will almost certainly ask for the same thing - even if the producers feel it is a very different situation. In a lab where there is a band, not just an accompanist, I'm sure they make contributions to the music, and I bet their union will make a similar argument AEA is making."

But you ARE misunderstanding. And that includes how musicians are employed in this setting. Anyone can ask for anything, as I said before and as Kad says above, but if you logic your way through this (regarding the musicians, for instance) it would not be a palatable result for them even were it a comparable situation (which it is not).

Videos