pixeltracker

Night Music at Barrington Stage- Page 2

Night Music at Barrington Stage

dave1606
#25Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/15/22 at 10:56am

I was in Orch row K21/23 which were all the way to the side against the wall (no side aisles) but full view. Never missed a thing. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#26Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/15/22 at 11:24am

I thought Danieley and Piel come off best in the clips, Piel's refusal to be docile in her dotage a welcome change. But to be fair to everyone else, the camera is right on top of these actors. The costuming seems vaguely redolent of France, not Sweden. And all of that shimmering fabric isn't evocative. I saw the original, the first national, the West End iterations of the original staging, and cannot hide my bias. It's a hard show to get right in the designs, yet the palette here is oddly garish, almost at odds with the material. The look used in the last B'way revival, the black and white emphasis, nailed the elegance. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#27Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/15/22 at 9:12pm

Skip23 said: "Yep...Sierra is the star. Perfect, rueful, funny, affecting, stunning voice, almost too pretty, but so????

It's a nice summer show. It doesn't show what NIGHT MUSIC can be, but I guess it wasn't meant to.

It's a nice summer show. Have a couple drinks, settle in for a Sondheim chart topper, get a few titillations from the innuendos (and not so innuendos), watch a few Broadway Babies, and a few acceptable stage novices. Don't look for tone, mood, sets, costumes, sound, tempi or coherence and you'll love it.

It's a nice summer show.

"

The epitome of ''summer shlock'' terrific cast but looks sooooooooo CHEAP! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#28Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/18/22 at 8:15am

I was at yesterday's matinee and was really bummed to see that Emily Skinner was out, since she was the main reason I made the trip. Her understudy looks a lot like Kate McKinnon! I'm not sure if this was the first time she went on, but she did a fine job. She looks too young for it, though - I'd guess she's at least 10-15 years younger than Emily.

Overall I really enjoyed it - I'll echo what's been said by others and point out that Sierra is definitely the highlight, followed by Mary Beth Peil. This is the perfect part for Sierra to start transitioning from ingenues to more mature roles.

Incidentally, God, Anne is a thankless role.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#29Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/18/22 at 5:08pm

GlindatheGood22 said: "Incidentally, God, Anne is a thankless role."

Not when Victoria Mallory did it.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#30Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/18/22 at 5:23pm

Skip23 said: "GlindatheGood22 said: "Incidentally, God, Anne is a thankless role."

Not when Victoria Mallory did it.

"

Alas, I wasn't born yet! I did see the Broadway revival and don't remember if Ramona Mallory giggled quite as much as this Anne, who laughs uproariously even while searching for the would-be-suicidal Henrik. It does seem that the script goes out of its way to make her frivolous, even after her awakening. ("Do you think the horses will be smart? I do so hate riding in a gig when the horses aren't smart."Night Music at Barrington Stage The way this production's Anne runs around with her poofy dress really recalls Cinderella - made me wonder what someone like Pippa Soo or Denee Benton might do with the part.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#31Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/18/22 at 10:08pm

Saw the show yesterday.  Simply....  it was a very enjoyable afternoon!!  Feel lucky to be close enough to take advantage of the Barrington Stage quality productions.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#32Night Music at Barrington Stage
Posted: 8/20/22 at 6:25pm

Caught today’s matinee. Lovely regional production heavily carried by most of the leads. This doesn’t make the best case for the musical (would have killed to see the original) but it was far better than second rate. I agree with the poster above who suggested this is a nice move for Boggess into more substantial and less ingenue parts. 

As an aside, I can easily see Jason Danieley coming in as the Baker if there are future casts of ITW. Boggess as the Baker’s Wife also would be a creative choice  

Videos