London Recommendations

DBAK
#25London Recommendations
Posted: 8/15/23 at 8:56pm

I will be in London next month. I am seeing next to normal, Rebecca, and Wicked (had to see it for my thirteen year old self, and also in the hopes of seeing Alexia). Here's my dilemma. I have time to squeeze in a Wednesday matinee. I just know of Cabaret and Wicked as options. Are there other shows that do a Wednesday matinee? I'm also wondering if I can just wait to decide what show I see for the Wednesday matinee until I'm actually in London. It would be fun to decide somewhat spontaneously if I'm able to, since the rest of this trip has been meticulously planned in advance by my partner and Wednesday afternoon is our day to go our separate ways for a few hours. :) Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#26London Recommendations
Posted: 8/15/23 at 9:21pm

Guys & Dolls is probably the hottest ticket in town right now. It's a lot of fun and will blow you away. Also, if you want to see something really funny and all-original, Operation Mincemeat is an excellent choice! Lastly, but certainly not least, Cabaret is an experience to remember! Won't spoil too much, but you will have a great time! PM me if you want to know further more of these three shows!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#27London Recommendations
Posted: 8/15/23 at 9:35pm

Show schedules here: http://www.theatremonkey.com/showtime-schedules

wed matinees are plentiful. Waiting for Cabaret is probably not a good option. You can likely get good deal on Crazy For You at box office that day.

broadfan327
#28London Recommendations
Posted: 8/16/23 at 6:47pm

I just saw Guys and Dolls, and I thought it was extraordinary.  I had a standing ticket.  I had never seen a professional production before (only summerstock/school productions) so can't compare it to Broadway revivals.

DBAK
#29London Recommendations
Posted: 8/17/23 at 12:24pm

ggersten said: "Show schedules here:http://www.theatremonkey.com/showtime-schedules

wed matinees are plentiful. Waiting for Cabaret is probably not a good option. You can likely get good deal on Crazy For You at box office that day.
"

Thank you so much! I was hoping there was something like this floating around. I really am leaning towards Cabaret, but I wish I could sit at one of the tables for the full experience. No one to go with though. I'm 99% sure I'll just go with Cabaret. It's a favorite and I've not gotten to see it since 2014-ish. Now, onto plotting as to whether I can sneak in a show the Sunday after we fly in... 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#30London Recommendations
Posted: 8/17/23 at 12:56pm

No idea if you can buy 1 seat at a table. Maybe easier on the short side. Note: it was June 2022 - but we did get two Sat matiness 125 GBP table seats for 100 GBP each at the box office on the day of the show (or maybe the day before). 

As you can see from the Show Schedule, most London theatres are dark on Sunday. Not all - but most. 

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#31London Recommendations
Posted: 8/17/23 at 4:20pm

Get theatre info and discount info on theatremonkey.com 

Cabaret at The Playhouse was the best show I saw when in London last. Day before show went to box office and some good locations were then available. Tickets are returned or canceled so check that out.

Updated On: 8/17/23 at 04:20 PM

C4b2a3b
#32London Recommendations
Posted: 8/26/23 at 6:36pm

For Cabaret, has anybody sat in the Box A or Box B seats? There's a single Box B seat on Monday in the back row. I'm 5'10" so I could probably make it work? I wish I could buy a single ticket at a table, but it doesn't look like that's allowed. Unless any others have tricks? 

Is the box office as stringent about selling tickets in pairs? Would I have better luck purchasing a single ticket at a table at the box office?

As an aside, I had a wonderful time Operation Mincemeat tonight. It was such an unexpected good time with beautiful moments. Guys and Dolls was fun as well. Andrew Richardson presence and voice really had me fanning myself (I'm embarrassed to admit). I ended seeing Oklahoma again, and Patrick Vail has grown even more into the role. More tears and depth. Very enjoyable, but I prefer the staging in the Round. 

I only wish I had more time to see more! 

Thanks you for all your wonderful suggestions! 

Updated On: 8/27/23 at 06:36 PM

Videos