pixeltracker

Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History- Page 2

Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#25re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:35pm

cats won best BOOK???

colm wilkenson didnt win best actor for les miz and that suprises me, though i dont know who beat him- anyone?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#26re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:42pm

Oh! And...
2003-2004's Little Shop not getting a 'Best Musical Revivial' nod.
Joe Mantello not being nominated for his fantastic work as Wickeds director (for which he recieved a Drama Desk Award and an Outer Critics Circle Award.)

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#27re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:43pm

LSOH sucked. Hunter is great, it was not a good production.
Everyone knew Joe was going to win for Assassins, so Wicked was irrelevant.

MargoChanning
#28re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:46pm

Robert Lindsay for "Me and My Girl" beat Colm Wilkinson (who was also competing against fellow cast member Terrence Mann's Javert in the lead actor category). Not really an upset -- Lindsay gave a wonderful comedic performance and was the centerpiece of his show (Lindsay rarely left the stage -- Wilkinson's is a supporting role by comparison).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#29re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:46pm

Jerome Robbins' Broadway winning Best Musical was not crazy at all. Against Black and Blue and Starmites, the only other nominees for Best Musical that year, it WAS the Best Musical of 1989.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

WiCkEDrOcKS
#30re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:47pm

Not really. If everyone knew he would win for Assassins, how come he won the other two awards for his helming of Wicked???? And Little Shop was a flawless production, and deserved way more than 1 Tony nod.

Broadwaybaby614 Profile Photo
Broadwaybaby614
#31re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:50pm

I don't know if Little Shop was flawless, but it DEFINATELY deserved more than one nod. Especially for technical stuff.

"And now for something completely different..."

ellie2
#32re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:54pm

Wickedrocks: Are you associated with wicked or are you just a really psychotic fan?

fuzzyman7 Profile Photo
fuzzyman7
#33re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:55pm

Urinetown should have beaten Thoroughly Modern Millie for Best Musical.

"Only in this country can we take an invaluable tool like the Internet and reduce it to a smiley button." ~ Nobody Knows I'm a Dog

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#34re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 3:57pm

My point about Jerome Robbins Broadway was that it wasn't a book musical - just a bunch of moments from other shows all thrown together.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WiCkEDrOcKS
#35re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:01pm

ellie2: What is your problem? Does my liking Wicked affect you any? If so I'd love to know how and why, but I still wont fix it for you. Updated On: 7/6/04 at 04:01 PM

sean martin
#36re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:03pm

Well, this one may seem obscure, but it's one of the ones I always questioned when it comes to my field. In the '58 season, there was a lot of great scenic work onstage. Just look at the list of contenders for the Tony that year:

Boris Aronson - J.B.
Ballou - The Legend of Lizzie
Ben Edwards - Jane Eyre
Oliver Messel - Rashomon
Donald Oenslager - A Majority of One
Teo Otto - The Visit

The Aronson and the Messel designs are classics, studied to this day because of their innovative use of stage space. But it was the Oenslager that took home the award.

And I have never understood that one.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

WiCkEDrOcKS
#37re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:06pm

I agree with the Urinetown and Mamma Mia! facts. They were both great shows, and a lot better than Millie, which I liked, but not loved. Urinetown DID win for it's book, score, and direction I believe, which is not bad. It was robbed of Best Musical, though. Mamma Mia! deserved at least two or three awards. It won NOTHING! That was surprising to me when I watched the Tonys for that year.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#38re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:09pm

There is no rule that a show without a book can't win Best Musical - Ain't Misbehavin' is Exhibit #1. The "bunch of moments from other shows all thrown together," as you describe it, makes Jerome Robbins' Broadway sound artless, which it wasn't. Sure, the West Side Story, Fiddler, The King and I and Gypsy numbers had all been seen before and were well documented, but Robbins went to elaborate lengths to recreate the numbers from On The Town, Billion Dollar Baby, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and High Button Shoes, among others, with a massive company, huge orchestra, and the original sets and costumes recreated on a gargantuan scale. Fosse (Exhibit #2), it wasn't.

And Rathnait, were you saying that Black and Blue (also bookless) or Starmites were more deserving of Best Musical?

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 7/6/04 at 04:09 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS
#39re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:11pm

Oh and.....
Gypsy not winning Best Musical nor Ethel Merman winning for her legendary portrayl of Mamma Rose.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#40re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History

Every musical has a book. The book is the shape of the musical--not just dialogue and not just regarding musicals with a throughline plot.

MusicalDirector109
#41re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History

Ethel Merman ("Gypsy") losing the Tony to Mary Martin ("The Sound of Music")
"Nine over "Dreamgirls" for Best Musical
"Avenue Q" over "Wicked" for Best Musical - not that I"m a "Wicked" lover; it is more ambitious in scope. So what if it occasionally faulters??

sean martin
#42re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History

>> Starmites

Definite proof that God has a sense of humour...

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#43re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:14pm

Okay, so then Contact shouldn't be in dispute either. And there had to be at least two other shows nominated besides Starmites and Black and Blue, no?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

MargoChanning
#44re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:14pm

I really loved "Jerome Robbins' Broadway" -- it really set a new standard for musical revues and featured some terrific performances of some of the greatest scenes in musical theatre history. A memorable, one-of-a-kind event.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

WiCkEDrOcKS
#45re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:16pm

I agree with Margo.
I have a question, though. Was "Crazy For You" liked by critics? Cause it only won 3 Tonys I believe. And what about Nine and Dreamgirls? How were they recieved?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#46re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:16pm

"One of a kind"...unless you count FOSSE.

MargoChanning
#47re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:18pm

1) The Best Musical category only has four nominees.
2) In 1989, because of lack of competition, there were only three nominees -- Jerome Robbins, Starmites and Black and Blue.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#48re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:20pm

Thanks. Okay, you're all right then...Starmites and Black and Blue DID both suck...

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#49re: Biggest Mistake(s) in Tony History
Posted: 7/6/04 at 4:21pm

The execution of "Fosse" could not compare in any way, shape or form to "Jerome Robbins' Broadway". The comparison is odious.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Videos