pixeltracker

What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?- Page 2

What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?

broadwayguy2
#25re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/4/03 at 12:28am

No, that wasn't the last nail in the coffin. It was cut 998 in the classic 'death by a thousand cuts' tourture.
Cut 1,000 is scheduled to be Britney Spears starring as Eponine in the revival of Les Miz.

Wait, wait. What is that I hear??? Oh, right.... Bob Fosse is doing barrel roles in his grave so fast that it is starting to lift off of the ground like a helicopter. Updated On: 8/4/03 at 12:28 AM

#26re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/4/03 at 7:23pm

Perhaps we should ask

What musicals do you NOT want to see as movies?

Or maybe

What movie actors would you NOT pay to see on stage?

Yours for a better Broadway!

broadwayguy2
#27re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/4/03 at 7:27pm

I would NOT pay for britney Murphy and Ashton Kutcher in a musical version of their crap newly-wed movie.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#28re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/5/03 at 11:40am

Even though it already has 2 movies, I would love to see Gypsy as a film starring Bernadette Peters. LOL and just for kicks, they can have Bette, Tyne, and Angela play the three strippers (just kidding about the last thing). Then again....Bette can be Tesse, Tyne can be Mazeppa, and Angela can be Electra.

Also, Aida as a movie would be awesome as long as they do it like a real movie and not some censored Disney thing.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#29re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/5/03 at 11:14pm

I agree Aida could be an amazing movie. I would love to see that done. The things they could do with that musical on film. What do you think casting wise? Sean Patrick Thomas would be great as Aida's friend. The one who sings "Do I know You?"

broadwayguy2
#30re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/5/03 at 11:17pm

Billy, you speak of the character Mereb.

Howz about an AIDA?? Beyonce anyone??

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/5/03 at 11:27pm

YES! She's perfect. Right- it was Mereb I was thinking about. Beyonce is perfect!

jo
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/6/03 at 5:15am

The movie SUNSET BOULEVARD was a film classic. The stage musical of this movie was one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's better works ( and passed muster with Billy Wilder - SB's movie director). To complete the full circle, why not do a movie of the stage musical version - the story of a former Hollywood diva and what Hollywood was like then?

Norma Desmond - Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, or Barbra Streisand?
Joe Gillis - Hugh Jackman or Ewan McGregor ?

jo

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/6/03 at 10:10am

i had heard that Ms. Minnelli was starring in a film version of SUNSET BOULEVARD, no?

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

TheaterBaby
#34re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/6/03 at 10:11pm

Beyonce would be perfect for Aida as a movie.

That Liza rumor has been around for a while. I've yet to hear confirmation about it. But hey, maybe now that she got rid of the freak she'll do it? She would be great as Norma Desmond.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Bwaybabie Profile Photo
Bwaybabie
#35re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/6/03 at 11:52pm

Maybe David Gest could be Max!

broadwayguy86
#36re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/7/03 at 1:50am

"I wonder how many movie musicals it will take to saturate the market and make people hate them? "

Just look at reality TV...

TheaterBaby
#37re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/8/03 at 2:45am

I dunno :? People didn't hate them back in the 30's, 40's, ad 50's. They might get big and then die down again, but I don't think people will ever HATE them. The real problem is whether or not Hollywood can continue to make good movie musicals.

Hello Gorgeous
#38re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/8/03 at 12:36pm

I agree with Christine's suggetions for the GYPSY movie. I think that would be hysterical!!

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY

WOSQ
#39re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/8/03 at 1:44pm

Little Me

Cast it with big male stars like Jim Carrey or Robin Williams as the husbands/lovers/men-in-her-life so that Young Belle and Older Belle can be done with real musical theatre types. Most of the male characters are performers rather than singers.

Go back to the original script (which is very episodic and cinematic anyway) that uses two actresses instead of one playing Belle at every age. The revise that was done with Martin Short wasn't as funny.

And make sure its a knockabout farce with songs. As it is, the show is practically a series of burlesque and vaudeville sketches.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Buddha
#40re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/8/03 at 10:50pm

I do agree!!!!!
The musical Nonnsense would also be a great comedy! I think this musical may even have been an inspiration for Sister Act 1&2.

sondheimfreak
#41re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/12/03 at 1:30pm

"Attend the film of Sweeney Todd"
I am dying for a "Sweeney" movie. Most people say it couldn't be done right as a film, but I think it could. I hear Rob Marshall is in consideration for it, but since it's not really a dancing show, he wouldn't get to show off his great choreography.

I'd also like to see a "Ragtime" movie. It has all the elements: great songs, great action, and it goes out with a "BANG!" (Get it?)

I've also mentioned that I would like to see a "Cabaret" film that's like the revival. You know, with "Maybe This Time" and "Money, Money" but also with "Perfectly Marvelous" and "So What" which I absolutely love.

"I don't understand. Everything's coming up Roses' WHAT?"-Jerome Robbins to Stephen Sondheim

SONDHEIM8
#42re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/12/03 at 2:35pm

Excellent choice, WOSQ!

LITTLE ME was one of the first Broadway shows I saw and I remember it fondly. It's not dated and would make a wonderful film.

LINK: Tracy, you look beautiful behind bars!

TRACY: It must be the low-watt institutional lighting!

#43What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/12/03 at 2:50pm

Side Show might work as a filmed musical.

Of course, Avenue Q could be a PBS Special.

AIDA would be neat if it was done correctly. They could murder it or make it.

#44re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/12/03 at 2:57pm

Speaking of Aida becoming a movie, I'm currently in the works of writing a modernized screenplay for it. I'm having Amneris *Amy* do My Strongest Suit as a big shopping spree at Macy's. It's gonna be fabulous.

FFARLS
#45re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/16/03 at 12:47pm

WONDERFUL!! I think that Beyonce should be in Aida after Toni. She can actually sing wonderfully live and has beautiful stage presence. Give Felicia the movie role of Amneris though. She has the look and it would catapult her into stardom right away. And, has anyone forgot about the made for TV version of Gypsi with Bette Midler?

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#46What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/16/03 at 7:33pm

Most of the great Cole Porter and Rogers & Hart musicals were filmed in the 1930s and 1940s with dire results either songs were ruthlessly cut and/or lyrics 'cleaned up' for the Hayes Office. I'd love to see each of them get the proper film treatment. But it won't happen.

Another fantasy musical film is FLAHOOLEY! with Lypsinka lypping to the original Yma Sumac recordings. To be directed by Tim Burton.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

#47 What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/18/03 at 11:29am

Once on this Island

I just listened to the music again and thought...wow, what a geat show this would be in a film.

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#48re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:38pm

A New version of Cabaret like the revival.

Sally Bowles: Brittany Murphy. And if they want to go older, Nicole Kidman.
Brittany Murphy sings a little in Riding in cars with boys and has a nice voice and she could def. act the part.

broadwayguy2
#49re: re: What Musicals Do You Want To See As Movies?
Posted: 8/18/03 at 3:40pm

Ok, back to Aida... I think Deborah Gibson could be a wonderfull Amneris. She sure would put Taylor Dyne to shame. :)

Videos