pixeltracker

Eden Espinosa...I don't get it- Page 2

Eden Espinosa...I don't get it

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#25re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:41am

i was at broadway on broadway and i thought she sounded great. maybe it just didnt sound good on tv.

#26re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:43am

I've only seen her live at Disneyland, but it was very entertaining!

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#27re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:46am

Eden is talented...but Brooklyn is TRYING to be this successful show. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But that was what the writers of it were thinking the whole time when they were writing it. And it's obvious. The crazy high notes on that one song are un-needed. I love a great high note, but that was un-necessary in that song. This show seems very forced, who's with me on that one?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Updated On: 9/15/04 at 12:46 AM

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#28re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:08am

enough about the voice. what you aren't understanding (and i don't care either way because i'm not a fan) but that music is ridiculously high. music should never be written that high to belt. and to be honest - she sang it just as well as any female could. it may have been screechy but what does someone expect when ***holes write music with belted F's and G's all over the place. you've got to be kidding. there's no way she or anyone else other than Frenchie, Jennifer Holliday or Ramona Keller could sing that 8 times a week. And that's only one song. no kids..Idina couldn't either.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#29re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:15am

If you're good, you should be able to do it.

I love ridiculously high music (JCS, Chess), but that song just needed to have those notes.

If many men who have played Jesus can sing a high G over high C in JCS 8 times a week...

Eden is good. I'm not taking anything away from her.

I just hate the damn music and how it is written.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#30re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:59am

I saw her at Broadway on Broadway too and I thought she was good.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

#31re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 11:04am

I think some people are confusing the quality of Eden's voice with the music she's required to sing (range and lyrics).

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#32re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 11:13am

justafan,

do you write ANYTHING ELSE in these posts?

leo, you are SO right. it's appalling to ask an actress to sing that. even frenchie, by reports from folks who saw DREAMGIRLS, was fading a little at the end of the run. these women should not be asked to do the impossible just so gay boys can cream in their pants.

and young girls will be trying to sing like this from now on. bring back judy kuhn and liz callaway, I say!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

erikaamato
#33re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 11:19am

I've seen this thread for a little while now, and I hesitated to reply, since I'm pretty new here, but here goes:

I agree wholeheartedly with justafan22. I have actually worked with Eden. We did a show together out here, and were cast together (with one other girl) as a singing trio in that show - kind of "urchin"-like - so I sang with her a lot. She has a wonderful voice, and great musicianship. I haven't heard the Brooklyn material yet, and I live in LA so I didn't see Broadway on Broadway, but if she sounded screechy, it because the song's too high for a human being to sing. I've heard her belt f's with no trouble and sounding effortless.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#34re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 11:34am

well...i think that's what a lot of us are saying. obviously she's talented...but the music she's asked to sing is ridiculous. it wasn't pleasant to listen to and it looked like it was a strain for her.

#35re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 11:57am

Robbiej,
Yes, I post occasionally----it depends on the subject and the postings---(why?)

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#36re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:00pm

cause you've posted the exact same sentence in about three different threads. that's all.

erikaamato
#37re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:03pm

Yeah, I thought that was odd, too. Particularly in that one thread where it really wasn't related at all to the conversation going on... But I still think it's a good point. re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it

#38re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:07pm

I know-----I had computer problems---I went "back" after I read other subjects and the message posted again---(sorry) :)

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#39re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:16pm

no problem. it just seemed a little kathy bates from 'misery'.

re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it

#40re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:21pm

Just stay here---don't move---I'll take care of you! Bwaaah! :)

erikaamato
#41re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:29pm

robbiej And yeah, if it looked like she was straining she probably was. (Eek...I hate that!) But that's the fault of the material, then, 'cause she's got quite an instrument. re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it

I think we're agreeing, here. re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it

Off to work!

~E.

BwayTheatre11
#42re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:32pm

Have fun at Disneyland! (I wish I was there right now)

CCM '10!

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#43re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:36pm

I want to go to Disneyland!

I missed going on Labor Day... best day of the year to be there!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#44re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:37pm

I just hope that all the hype has not gone to her head. I saw Brooklyn in Denver, a few times. She was wonderful. I really hope she is as good on B'way as she was here.

Just give the world Love.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#45re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:52pm

Thank you a million times, thank you RobbieJ for saying what I've been TRYING to say for so long, this whole ridiculous stratospheric high note pissing contest that goes on nowadays is not only "just for gay boys to wet their pants", but it's just bad, unimpressive nonsense, for the sake of nothing! For what? For little Amda/AADA kids to post on this board and ask how high the notes that Idina/Eden/Kristen are belting are? ALL of those songs would sound much better and the singers would be far more solid if the keys weren't so unecessarily high. And maybe Edna wouldn't have such the gasping problem. all of our multi millionaire pop STARS don't do that, not even the Whitney Houston's of the bunch, and well, you see where singing like that to "show off" got Mariah Carey's voice long before her 35th birthday.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#46re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:57pm

I enjoy Eden's voice in the majority of the material I've heard her sing. I agree that the last note of "Once Upon a Time" is going to be a hit or miss (maybe like "THE note" in Aida, har har), but even her "miss" isn't horrible. Eden has a pretty strong voice and belt, but I can't help but wonder if it's going to work for the whole show, or if it's even going to last.

I'm still really excited about this show, but Eden is hardly the reason. Hopefully people here don't mix up those excited for the show based on the show and the music and the cast, and those excited because they worship all things Wicked related.

As for Caren Lyn Manuel, I will try my hardest to be at the first performance we know Eden will be missing, because THAT woman is incredible and has the strong voice I've ever heard. Oddly enough, I think she may find herself being the next Eden. Which will hopefully give her the exposure to get HER musical off the ground and then the world would be a wonderful place.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#47re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:04pm

Al Dente, I kinda take offense to the remark about the high notes being "just for gay boys to wet their pants". This gay boy does not care about the high notes. I care about the talent.

Just give the world Love.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#48re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:06pm

Easy there "girlfriend" the "next Eden"? Shouldn't Eden establish herself in some other way than being Idina's understudy and a Broadwayworld fav and be well-known *before* someone can be the "next" anything?

touchmeinthemorning
#49re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:06pm

I also wanna just say high notes should never be there to show off...however, if the moment is intense, then there should be a high note, probably. It is the kind of virtuosity that makes paying 100 bucks worth it. Without the high notes, there wouldn't be intensity, and without intensity, there wouldn't be moments worth seeing.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Videos