Eden Espinosa...I don't get it

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#0Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:31pm

So I watched broadway on broadway, anxious to hear 'Brooklyn' perform, since I'd heard the songs on the site, and know that there's been a lot of hype about the show...but then Eden opened her mouth...my God that whole performance I was wincing with pain. My eardrums will never be the same. She screeches, and goes REALLY high and her voice just can't take it. It came to the point where it was just obnoxious. I was shocked because I've heard that she's amazing, and she didn't sound bad on the recording of Brooklyn, but then again, that's definitley edited...am I the only one thinking that Eden sounds awful?

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

insomniak
#1re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:33pm

Whoo, the first member of my 'I don't get Eden' club.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#2re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:37pm

Yeah, I'm kind of with you...I think she has a great voice quality, but I prefer Idina's belt range, personally. She was SCREAMING a LOT, which was a little off-putting.

And the song was cheesy :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

StateOfJade
#3re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:39pm

I'm not a fan of Idina, but even I would admit, I thought she sounded pretty awsome on the show. I was expecting to be blown away by Eden after that...but I just honestly can't find one good thing about that performance. It was painful.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#4re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:46pm

maybe her voice just wasn't in a good mood that day...she sounded great live in wicked!

BwayTheatre11
#5re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:46pm

Atleast that Errico bitch is on Broadway...

CCM '10!

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#6re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:47pm

I couldnt take that screeeeech at the end of the song. She looked like she had a hard time singing it also. I wonder how she will do it 8 times a week...

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#7re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:51pm

i've hard audio clips of her singing in wicked and was watching that goins "what the hell happened, thank god i didn't mention her being good in advance"

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Mattio98
#8re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:51pm

Don't worry about it...Kelli O'Hara is the standout female in Dracula anyway.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#9re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:52pm

Eden Espinosa was fantastic in "Wicked," but I'm not excited about "Brooklyn" at all. The screech at the end of the song was pretty painful, I think it needs to be removed.

BwayTheatre11
#10re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:55pm

Things like that happen. Understudies are not bad...give them a chance.

CCM '10!

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#11re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:56pm

thank god I am not the only one...I have to say there were many PAINFUL moment on that telecast -- glad I was playing golf!

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#12re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:58pm

I'm sorry, I can't denigrate the performance -- does anyone think that's a particularly fresh and soaring song? Screech or no screech? When I think about the beating Schwartz takes for his efforts, and then I hear some generic pop-b'way stuff like that, with empty cliches about "miracles" and "gingerbread houses" etc. It just seems so devoid of fresh imagery and feeling. I wondered what kind of "I want" song it was -- it felt like a watered down version of a better number -- the one Ahrens and Flaherty wrote for the animated version of "Anastasia," which as sung by Liz Calloway, had emotional resonance. This is BROOKLYN's big ballad? And I wanted to love it.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

StateOfJade
#13re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:11pm

The song itself is pretty cheesy, but I believe they could've gotten a much better actress to sing that...like her understudy, for instance...I'm hoping that when I see the show (yes, I still am interested in seeing it) Caren Lyn Manuel plays that role. That woman is incredible.

Spiritoflaw Profile Photo
Spiritoflaw
#14re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:15pm

Eden's screeching was surprising to me too. Until now, everyone said she was better than Idina. But Idina's voice is bigger and more stable too.

"If you walked on the moon or you flew by a star, is that any more remarkable than here where you are? Who would have thought it?" W. E. Kennon

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#15re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:20pm

I would be hella grateful to anyone who taped this and could send me a copy (I'd pay for postage and tape, of course)...I live in the Philadelphia area, and they didn't air it down here. re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
PM me if you can help me out...
Thanks guys!

StateOfJade
#16re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:21pm

I would strongly advise you not to waste your money on a tape of it lol

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#17re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:25pm

Aww...I know, I know...I was actually there for it, but my friend is in Hairspray (the crazy boy in the khaki capris), so I'd love to have a copy of it...

FOCI Profile Photo
FOCI
#18re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:54pm

Alright bottom line: screech not good. Eden= 10x better singer than Idina AlMOST always, I just love the sound of her voice it is so much more pleasing than the gruff sound of Idina. Not to mention. Ok do I want to see Brooklyn though? No. The show looks like crap, and I really dislike all the songs I have heard, have to agree with Auggie27 there. Although I do like the slogan "Brooklyn in the Blood" OK so my point is while my signature is "EDEN IS THE NEW IDINA!" as a sarcastic nod to all the crazy ass wicked fans. I actually have come to like her a lot, after all the hype I am starting to "get it"

"I guess she is one very confident girl who feels if you see it, it shall be. I hope she sees a room with a piano player and a bunch of scary middle-aged queens sitting behind a table, talking to each other as she auditions!!" -Marc Shaiman on Kelly Osbourne in Hairspray
Updated On: 9/14/04 at 09:54 PM

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#19re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 10:34pm

Stateofjade, think of where you're hearing "how amazing and awesome Eden is", on this site, and this site only, by a bunch of fanatics, who'd think anyone who understudied Elphaba was brilliant. She's mediocre at best, and trying WAY too hard. Never mind that the material is absolutely sub par.

OhSoWicked
#20re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 10:55pm

Woohoo! After I heard Edens sound clips from Wicked I was like hmm...great voice, but not anything better than Idina. I dont really understand the hype either. *shrug*

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#21re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/14/04 at 10:59pm

Just watched it again. Sorry, it's just not a good song. Not. I'm debating getting tix tomorrow, with a Playbill flyer. But there's only sadness as a result. Why must the first broadway musical of the season -- whoops, 2nd, forget Mr. Wildhorn's opus -- be so generic? Watch this number in the context of the song from RENT and even .. yes, say it, admit it .. WICKED. 'For Good' sounds like Rogers and Hammerstein next to the BROOKLYN and Sutton's tedious LITTLE WOMEN pieces. Admit it, people. These two new shows are cookie-cutter pop ballads that want to sound like character-defining musical theater. But they don't pass muster.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Ustadance
#22re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:24am

"State of Jade" - what a perfect name you've chosen: The envy oozes out of you like green bile.

wally
#23re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:32am

I've never gotten Eden's appeal. I heard the clips from Wicked, and her Disney stuff, and was not impressed. Even less so with her performance at Rockers on Broadway, and now BoB. Not at all interested in seeing Brooklyn.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#24re: Eden Espinosa...I don't get it
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:41am

I don't know anything about Brooklyn but I saw her twice in Wicked (and I saw Idina twice) and I think that she is by far superior to Idina in the role. She has more vocal strength than people realize. Do I worship her? No but I thoroughly enjoyed her when I saw her, both times.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Videos