News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?- Page 2

Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#25re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:37pm

I'm completely with you. This is odd, odd, odd.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#26re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:41pm

its very strange but i mean something could seriously be wrong..family problems.... or you know illness...or a death in the family... or plastic surgery gone wrong.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#27re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:43pm

All of which would have resulted in her being granted extended leave or being let out of her contract and statements being made. But this kind of toing and froing that Murphy has been doing for the entire run should not have been allowed.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#28re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:46pm

xluckystar that was funny. re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#29re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 4:57pm

Maybe it's Irritable bowel syndrome
or
Overly self indulgent syndrome?

All this speculation is making me ill!
She's out! Get over it and MOVE ON!

I feel better now.

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)
Updated On: 9/21/04 at 04:57 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#30re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 5:06pm

Well; I for one knowing who the producers of this show are; wouldn't be surprised if they did something to make it a unplesant work enviroment. This is not the first time the Weisslers have had a problem with one of their stars. I love Donna Murphy. I know many people who have worked with her and they all have had wonderful things to say.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#31re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 6:32pm

This just in murphy was found hiding in a closet at the Al hirschfeld theatre!!

Chote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
#32re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:07pm

Maybe she's lost.

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#33re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:17pm

I'm beginning to wonder if some posters on here aren't just making things up. There are those who say... "She was not fired. That's not why she has been missing" and "it's not her fault she's missed shows." With all due respect, if you think you're big enough to try and "set us straight," then why don't you set the record straight, since you think you know the real reason. I'm a huge Donna fan, but I'm not going to sit here and make up excuses for her just to make people on this board think I really know what's going on or that I have some insight on the situation.

"I'm not a catcher! I'm a piano player!" -- Schroeder from "Peanuts" ----- http://www.facebook.com/p/Brandon_Bartlett/500719306

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#34re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:28pm

1. I only suggest there is a viable reason for what is going on--not just the nasty diva gossip of others. I have had other work these past two months, so I haven't been around to even know myself. But, people have been wrong before, and I merely suggest that they are wrong now. These poster don't know any better themselves--and likely know the least.

2. If I did know something that was confidential, I would not share it. Sorry if that disappoints, but there is a line where you can say only so much. So, the WT leak who posts here did at the very least keep Donna's note confidential--as it should be.

3. What do you people want? What will satisfy you? And, why DO you feel entitled to know all the facts and details? I know what my answer to these questions are if I were an audience member, but I am curious what all of yours is.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#35re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:29pm

I know the Weisslers too - I worked for them for two years. And it's extremely odd to me that even if they've made it a tough environment in which to work (and plenty of other people have worked for them and no one else has ever just stopped showing up without explanation), why wouldn't they fire her? They certainly have cause at this point or actually quite a bit sooner. Or, if it was so awful, why wouldn't she quit?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#36re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:31pm

4. Rath--I don't imagine who you worked for or what you have done really has the impact you would like as you (like others) hide behind a mask of anonymity.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#37re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:34pm

I admire you, jrb, for not sharing confidential info. However, I'll give you my response to #3: The show was sold on Murphy's name. The NYTimes review was a complete love letter to her, while not praising the production itself. People have been buying tickets to see her. I don't need to know the actual explanation if it's too personal or private. All I want to know is if she's going to be in or not on the night I buy a ticket. I haven't bought a ticket because I would want to see her, and the likelihood for months is that she would NOT be in for any given performance. Not to mention that I know that if I my attendance record was half this inconsistent, I certainly would have lost my job by now.

Tickets are expensive. If you don't live here, it's even more expensive to see Broadway shows. Obviously people get sick, and can't go on. That's the risk you take when you buy a ticket. But there is a difference between that being a remote possibility and it being almost definite.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#38re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:36pm

Rath: That is a very valid response. And, I am not saying that I do not think the big picture is a valid problem.

But more responses before I continue...

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#39re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:38pm

No one here is an authority on this subject. Even those who think they are.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#40re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:39pm

I agree, jrb, on the mask of anonymity argument. But since someone else pointed out that they knew the Weisslers, I wanted it realized that I also knew somewhat of what I was speaking. That's all.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#41re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:41pm

(just IN CASE that was aimed at me--I do not think of myself as an authority on this--but I know a hell of a lot more about this show than most anyone on this board so :P )

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#42re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:42pm

My my.

The whole world revolves around you, I guess.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#43re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:45pm

It always does, Mr. Tittle. re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?

WayWicked
#44re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:46pm

As a consumer, I could care less about excuses. If they want to sell WT as a Donna Murphy show, then I should be able to see her. Yes..everyone gets sick and takes time off. But Ms Murphy has missed her more than fair share and is open to as much debate and discussion as we non insiders care to have.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#45re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:48pm

Very simply and eloquently put.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#46re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:55pm

Yes, you all as consumers have the right to know what you are buying--and you can get a refund if a star above the title is missing. (most of the audience doesn't know who Donna Murphy even is, so they could care less). If you do not want to risk not seeing Donna in the show--don't buy a ticket.

But, your gripes should be aimed at management--not Donna Murphy. She is not in charge of the sign, advertising, making announcements, etc.

As for the details--they are no one's business. Sorry. You only are entitled to whether or not she is in the show. That's it. Not why. THAT'S what I am talking about.

Sure you can debate all you like--but this is a public forum and respect should be heeded. That does not include airing Ms. Murphy's dirty laundry or making character assassinations.

Updated On: 9/21/04 at 07:55 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#47re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:58pm

We are allowed to gripe at the person who never shows up, and hasn't had the grace and consideration to quit if she can't be there the majority of the time. Because as WayWicked pointed out, we are the consumers. She is the employee who is not fulfilling her duties.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#48re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 7:59pm

And THAT is between her and her boss. And as I have said before--WE DO NOT KNOW ALL THE FACTS AND DETAILS. You DO NOT know that it is her fault or not that she is still attached. You have convicted her without KNOWING the facts. THAT is my point.

#49re: Wonderful Town -Where is Murphy?
Posted: 9/21/04 at 8:00pm

jrb - As I have indicated in other threads in other discussions, I find opinions expressed about people you know nothing about to be ridiculous. However, as people interested in the art, craft and business of theatre, I think this situation has caught many people's attention. As Rath said, it's just odd, odd, odd. While I, of course, feel that her privacy should in no way be violated, I am curious as to what exactly has caused and/or allowed this very peculiar situation to arise, much less linger and worsen for so long.

Videos