Merrily We Roll Along

saddle shoe side kick
#25re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 11:51am

I heard that "That Frank" was used to replace another song. I like "That Frank" though.

"I'm a pretty girl, mama." -Penny Lou Pingleton, Hairspray
"You like football, Ed?" "Yeah..." "Good. Me too." -Chad & 'Ed', All Shook Up

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#26re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 11:53am

"That Frank" was added in 1994.

jasonvanemburgh
#27re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:19pm

I performed in the show at a regional theatre in Philadelphia some years back. I personally think Mary is the more exciting role. Beth requires a nice belt for Not Day Goes By, not exactly Ethel Merman, but strong none the less. It's a great score, and I believe one of Sondheim's under produced works.

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it" Goethe

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#28re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:42pm

"That Frank" replaced "Rich and Happy", although I'm not exactly sure why.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#29re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:52pm

Gov,

"That Frank" replaced "Rich and Happy" for a very specific reason. Although they share much of the same melody, they're polar opposites, thematically.

"Rich and Happy" is Frank singing about how fabulous his life is, while everyone around him is backstabbing him. It's an ironic comment, which establishes Frank as a bad guy in the first song.

"That Frank" takes a different attitude about him, and the people singing about him have respect for him. It shows Frank in a more positive light, by singing about his qualities instead of his faults. I think it was a conscious attempt on Sondheim's part to deal with the anti-hero factor of Franklin Shephard. Updated On: 1/23/05 at 06:52 PM

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#30re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:59pm

Which is probably why I prefer "Rich and Happy" -- By the end (Well, at the beginning) he's overcome with greed, abandoned his friends, and left theatre to produce blockbuster movies. It makes sense that no one truly likes him.

Chrysanthemum62001
#31re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:57pm

I had been meaning to buy this cd forever. I know very little about the show, but had performed some of the music in choirs. Our Time is probably one of the greatest songs for a choral group. Anyways, I bought the revival cd about a week ago, and I'm almost wishing I had went for the original. I want to see a good production of this show, it's definately up the as one of my favorite Sondheim shows because the musical is absolutely beautiful.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

KateMusic Profile Photo
KateMusic
#32re: Merrily We Roll Along
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:03pm

I see "That Frank" as a type of satire- celebrating Frank for all the reasons- he's rich and famous, makes movies, and throws good parties, which contrasts with Mary mocking all the shallowness of the situation. I see the scene and the song as very fake and all of the party people kissing his ass. I think it immediately establishes him as a very self-absorbed, shallow character.
But that's just my take on the situation, and how the versions I've seen portray it.
Any other opinions?

Some people analyze every detail/ Some people stall when they can't see the trail/ Some people freeze out of fear that they'll fail/ But I keep rollin' on/ Some people can't get success with their art/ Some people never feel love in their heart/ Some people can't tell the two things apart/ But I keep rollin' on

Videos