pixeltracker

Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?- Page 2

Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#25re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:33pm

Forum in its original form was not a success because of Sondheim it was a success because of its leading man, it's hilarious book and the ensemble. Sondheims score was mostly overlooked and the man himself has said that the score is only good to let the audience catch a breath between laughter at the book. This is not say it is a poorly written score, just the opposite, songs like "Pretty Little Picture" (not actually in the show I believe), "Comedy Tonight", "That Dirty Old Man", and music like the Marcus Lycus sequence are fantastic

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#26re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:07pm

Thanks for your answers.
On a side note, is appraised a wrong term ? I thought that was the correct word, but praised does look more right ! Sorry for my mistake, but on my defence, English is not my first language :)

Take care

Jon
#27re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:21pm

"Pretty Little Picture" was cut from the most recent revival to save time. It was cut from the Phil Silvers revival because he couldn't learn the song. It is still "in the show" - that is, it is in the script and score that is currently licenced.

As far as Sondheim's other shows, just look at how many times they are done in regional, college, and community theatres. I'm sure there have been many musicals over the past 40 years that made a profit on Broadway that don't get done nearly as often anymore. Updated On: 1/30/05 at 07:21 PM

jackson992
#28re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:09pm

"and isn't sondheim supposed to be a great composer?"

That's a matter of opinion LOL

I just tried to listen to Pacific Overtures. Simply awful

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#29re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:33pm

Ignorance is bliss, but think of what he'll miss...

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#30re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:47pm

I dont know if CAROLINE would be considered a critical hit. I mean the POST gave it one and a half stars. It got very mixed critical reactions from what I saw. Amazing show nonetheless.

Videos