pixeltracker

Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?

Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#0Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 12:53pm

Ok, I recently posted a thread about shows that were succesful even if they got terrible reviews. Thanks to all those who answered. Since it seems that the critics play a big part in the viability of shows, I was just wondering...
Were there shows that, although were beloved by critics, didn't manage to become hits ?

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#1re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 12:57pm

A couple of musicals that immediately come to mind are 'A Class Act' and 'Amour', the latter was even nominated for Best Musical a few years ago.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

UsherMJD
#2re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:07pm

I think I remember hearing good reviews for "Sweet Smell of Success" a few years ago. . . Marvin Hamlish wrote the music and I believe John Lithgow acctually won a Tony for his performance in it, but the show closed only after a few months. I'm not sure what the whole story was w/ that.

Jon
#3re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:42pm

How about PASSION by Sondheim? It won the Tony, ran about 9 months, and lost money. Meanwhile, another show that opened that year, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, got mediocre reviews and is still running what, 11 years later??

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#4re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 1:55pm

I believe Side Show got good reviews.

I'm still mourning.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#5re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:24pm

Amour received mostly dismissive reviews, and with the exception of Clive Barnes, Sweet Smell of Success was panned across the board. A Class Act fared slightly better than Amour, receiving several favorable reviews, but really, no outright raves.

Best example of this that I can think of is She Loves Me, which has received mostly raves in two Broadway productions and two London productions, and has failed every time.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#6re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 2:26pm

Do you mean critically praised?

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#7re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:06pm

We need a Theatrical Rotten Tomatoes website!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#8re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:13pm

We should! Sum, wanna make it with me?

Sumofallthings
#9re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:16pm

Sure!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#10re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:21pm

Every Sondheim show (that he wrote both music and lyrics for) has closed in the red, with the exceptions of FUNNY THING and NIGHT MUSIC.

And I totally agree, there needs to be a website that contains reviews from shows. There are reference books (found in many libraries) that contain theatrical reviews year-by-year. It would be incredibly useful to have them posted on-line.

Sumofallthings
#11re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 3:22pm

Then we'd expand into cast recordings!

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#12re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:44pm

If every show that Sondheim has done has closed in the red, with the exception of the two mentioned, how does he continue to get new productions going? Very interesting to hear, I'm not surprised though.

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

BSoBW2
#13re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:47pm

and isn't sondheim supposed to be a great composer?

like the opposite of wildhorn....well, with the same end

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#14re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:47pm

Because the producers realize that his shows are masterpieces, if not commercially appealing.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Joshua488
#15re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:48pm

Probably because people realize his genius and know that his work deserves to be produced. They probably are also praying that "maybe this time!!", the show will become as big of a success as ...FORUM.

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#16re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:50pm

Yeah Joshua's right. The Man is a genius.

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

jackson992
#17re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 4:59pm

I like Wildhorn a lot better than I do Sondheim

pab Profile Photo
pab
#18re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:02pm

Well you know what they say: "There’s no accounting for taste".

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#19re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:03pm

"and isn't sondheim supposed to be a great composer?"

The amount of tickets sold is in no way related to the quality of the show. Just because a show doesn't find an audience in its original run doesn't mean the show is terrible.

MargoChanning
#20re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:11pm

COMPANY also turned a profit (it ran nearly two years), INTO THE WOODS broke even (also a two year run) and SWEENEY TODD, I believe, broke even on its subsequent naional tour.

Aside from Sondheim, August Wilson is also someone has also received almost universal critical acclaim for work (not to mention two Pulitzers, a Tony and seven NY Drama Critics Circle Awards for Best Play), but other than Fences, none of his nine plays have been profitable.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/30/05 at 05:11 PM

Derek
#21re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:17pm

i dont think any Sondheim show ever ran more than 1000 performances, am i right? thats sad

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#22re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:20pm

did caroline or change turn a profit? It was amazing and criticlly acclaimed but seemed to close pretty early.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#23re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:22pm

Yeah, but I think the Eight Tonys, Best Song Academy Award, Song of the Year Grammy Award and Pulitzer Prize make up for it.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

MargoChanning
#24re: Shows that were critically appraised but flopped commercially ?
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:29pm

Caroline lost most of its investment (I think it returned about 30% or so).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Videos