#25re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 10:18pm

lilfinley what show are you in?

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#26re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 10:46pm

In response to the person who started this topic, I don't stage door all that often, but when I do it's because a particular performance stood out for me -- often I do this with understudies because most people groan at the sight of those little slips. Instead, I see these slips as an opportunity to see something special.

And if that person is excellent on stage, I'd like to let them know how I felt. Every time I've done this, the performer was happily surprised that:

(a) I recognized them,
(b) I knew who they played,
and
(c) I cared enough to say something in person.

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#27re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 12:23am

There's a certain magic live theatre has that none other quite contains--the fact that those are real people with real emotions just like you that are up there performing. they are not robots, doing this nightly routine because they are programmed to do so, but do so because they love the thrill of performing in front of a live audience, full of fresh new faces every night. you act as if you are so cold and distant from these shows you see. if thats the case, i feel sorry for you. theatre is an art form of give and take, on both ends. performers give you a little part of their soul each night and as an audience member, in return you give back a tiny part of yours. thats the magic of theatre. and as a performer, when ive touched someone, there's nothing quite so dear as meeting such a face following the show to tell me how, in the last 3 hours, we somehow connected, and touched each other. there is no greater joy in the world for a performer. if you feel so distant and separate from every show you see, i hardly doubt you are opening youself up enough to truly experience a piece of theatre and be moved by it.

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#28re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 12:24am

the above was directed at the person who started the topic, just FYI.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#29re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 8:00am

It's one thing to have your Playbill signed and tell the performer you liked them, it's another thing to show up night after night when you don't even see the performance! Would you want the same person in your face night after night when you got done at work? Hello? Think about it.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#30re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 8:33am

Ok, maybe there are some people that wait by a stage door just to say how much they appreciate a performance or to say thank you for a great show. However, I think the reality is most people just want to have something to talk about when they go home. There really isn't anything wrong with it so why not be honest. You love the attention you get at being able to show the freinds back home your autographed Playbill and the photo of you with a star. It's also a thrill to meet a star and there is nothing wrong with enjoying that experience. So cut the "I want to tell them how much they moved me" crap and the "I just want to thank them" bull. If that were the case, you'd be talking to the lighting tech, the musicians, the guys moving the sets and the third chorus girl from the elft. Aren't they all part of the great experience you want to thank the star for?

I remember walking out of a stage door with a friend who was in the chorus of show with a big star. As we opened the stage door a sudden rush of people moved forward with excited expectant looks on their faces. Once they saw it was just some nobody who was in the chorus, there was an almost percetible group sigh of disappoinment. Why is it just the star that you want to tahnk for the wonderful performance? Is it becasue nobody at home will be impresssed when you show them a picture of you and the guy who runs the hydrolic lift? re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting

http://www.danperezgallery.com
Updated On: 12/12/03 at 08:33 AM

Cadriel
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 8:56am

orion59 -

I talk to ensemble members - they're often at least as interesting as the stars. So meh on your theory.

-Wayne

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 9:09am

My theory, if you read the very first line of my post, is that SOME people may be there for the purpose of telling any cast memebrs taht they enjoyed the show.
Be careful not to say something that misrepresents my point because you know very well that many people here will come along and start posting nasty comments because they want to believe what you said rather than actaully understand what I wrote.

Updated On: 12/12/03 at 09:09 AM

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#33re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 9:56am

Orion, I disagree.....Since I too sometimes wait at the stage door, And I see others among me who congratulate, and thank other performers, and even memebers of the orchestra for their work. Sometimes, (not that tech and orchestra shouldn't be appreciated), but the crowd sometimes mistake these people for actors, and they might take offense to it...but I say all this to point out that the general public is are not aware a lot of the time of who are in the ensemble, in the orchestra, and on the technical staff, so it is unfair to assume that people don't care about the no-name performers. And realistically, why shouldn't they be more thrilled about the stars rather than some other ensemble performer? That is most likely who they came to see anyway, so it is an honest reaction. Furthermore, why should an ensemble actor care about whether or not he gets noticed or not? One of the first lessons you learn about theatre and acting, is that it is not always about "YOU" as the individual performer. There might be times where you get the spotlight, but it is not always about you. As an actor myself, there have been times where I performed in the ensemble and got recognition and appreciation from viewers in the audience, and it made me feel appreciated, and there were other times where I didn't get that. So what? That's life. As for why *I* stand and wait at the stage door? Because I am literally a fan of most performers on Broadway, and I appreciate them, and thank them for giving and providing me with what I love. Also, I admire them all, because they all are in a position that I would love to be in, and WILL be in one day.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#34 re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 10:05am

As a general rule, I don't do it, but don't begrudge those who enjoy doing it. And it does my jaded heart good to hear from kids whose idols are Broadway performers instead of talentless tabloid-fodder or voiceless pop 'singers'.

There are stars I am a fan of (Nathan, for instance) I would NEVER approach afterwards because I know they really don't like fan interaction and just want to be left alone. But when Brad Oscar subbed for Nathan when the latter was sick, and had to deal with a lot of whining from the "Awww, whos' THIS guy?! I wanted to see NATHAN!" claque, I thought Brad would like to hear from a fan who bought a ticket specifically for HIM.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#35re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 10:14am

I am the original postor (poster?) & I have to say THANKS for the incredible, mostly intelligent & objective feedback. You guys really do rock. I really am curious about this issue & it's fascinating to me to receive such a varied array of responses.

Having said that...Theatreboy33 & MasterLcZ, you have jumped w/ the world's largest pogostick over my question to a truly sad assumption. I have read & I believe understood your reponses, but it's not about me. I don't know who it's about, but it's not about me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll just say that I work on the FOH staffs of Bway shows, so I've met a lot of the performers. There is no mystique for me about performers: some are great people & some are jerks; some like to meet the fans & some would rather just go home & be w/ family/friends/their TV & dog; most are somewhere in between. Aren't we all a combination of nice & nasty, though? They are hard-working (we hope!) professionals and, above all, they are people. They, just like most healthy people, enjoy being told, "Job well done!" I think that's terrific, but I agree w/ the folks who posted that that's a small percentage. It's good to know they still exist, though.

Thanks, again.

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com
Updated On: 12/12/03 at 10:14 AM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#36re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 10:17am

You know what...I answered the question as an audience member...but forgot to answer it as an actor.

I'm a narcissist. I think highly of myself. And I love meeting people who agree with my estimation of my own work re:  re: stage door waiting

Truly...it is a thrill to meet people after shows. I find it more encouraging hearing kind words from total strangers than from friends whose opinions of your work are a little skewed due to a personal relationship.

I like being told I'm good. I like going out to bars and getting recognized (though that hasn't happened in a while). It's a great perk to the job.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#37re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 10:29am

Robbie, you are too cute!

Love,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#38re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 10:30am

Ok, I'll try one last time to explain myself then I give up.

" And realistically, why shouldn't they be more thrilled about the stars rather than some other ensemble performer?"

Please see quotes from my original post below
"It's also a thrill to meet a star and there is nothing wrong with enjoying that experience."

"Ok, maybe there are some people that wait by a stage door just to say how much they appreciate a performance or to say thank you for a great show."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Furthermore, why should an ensemble actor care about whether or not he gets noticed or not?"

They don't, they shouldn't. I was simply saying that if your purpose is SOLELY to let the perfomers know how much you enjoyed the show, that would extend to all the performers.

Basically everyone who responded to this thread who actually does wait by a stage door tried to make it seem like it for some altruistic reason. They seem embarrassed to say "I just want to meet a Broadway/Movie/Tv star". My post was meant to point out that everyone, I don't care how much you deny it, has someone they want to meet just for the thrill of saying they met that person. We love celebrities, we love to meet them, we love to impress our friends with stories of how we met them and what the interaction was like.

So stop thinking "Mean old Orion is putting me down personally for standing by a stage door" re:  re: stage door waiting

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#39re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 10:37am

lc1965, I don't quite know what you are getting at with your pogo-stick analogy. ???

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 12:01pm

PB - ENT.2

I also met JFK Jr.! He was so nice. I was so upset when I heard about his death (I was in Germany at the time). I thought he was such an excellent role model. Possibly the best thing to come out of that family. From what I have heard, his sister is really wonderful as well. Considering he was the closest thing to royalty in the US, I was surprised how approachable and gracious he was. He will be missed.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#41re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 12:08pm

"Interesting side note: that chorus member who disappoinetd the waiting crowd is now as big a name as the star of that Broadway show."
re: re: re:  re: stage door waiting Well, you've grabbed my curiosity with that line. I'm dying to know who it is.

Anyway, I don't usually stop by stage doors unless I know someone involved with the show; and that is to say hello to them...not necessarily the big star of the show unless the persn I know happens to be the big star of the show. If I do stop by it's because I was really moved by a performance...and that's not BS!
There are only 4 shows out of very many that I have seen in which I stopped by the stage door not knowing someone in the show: Avenue A, Mamma Mia, Wicked, and The Boy From Oz.
And all 4 were because I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised by the performance of everyone in the cast (not just one particular performer). Particularly with Avenue Q where most of the actors involved had never been in a Broadway show. I really wanted them to know that their talent is impressive and appreciated. They were all very nice and seemed grateful that there are people who really enjoy the show and will be their word-of-mouth publicity.
In all honesty though, I've seen many shows and have only gone to the stage doors of a handful of them; but I am not ashamed to do so when I have really enjoyed a particular performance and want to let the actor know they are appreciated.
Also, even after I do see the show, if I happen to be at the stage door, I won't always ask for an autograph (which really annoys some of those ebay people who want them). I will wait just to tell the person or people how much I enjoyed their performance, and thank them for doing such a great job. :)

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#42re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/12/03 at 12:34pm

Well I have waited at stage doors strickly for teh purpose of being able to meet someone whom I admire and for the thrill of saying that just for a few minutes I spoke to this idol of mine. It's a total kick.

Videos