stage door waiting

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#0stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:16pm

At the risk of starting a violent & acrimonious debate, can someone please explain to me the appeal of waiting outside a stage door for 15 seconds w/ a theatre performer & maybe not even that much time. This question is only for adults because I suppose I can kinda sorta understand what kids enjoy about it. I have a good friend in her 40s who does this all the time & she cannot understand why I DON'T do it. This is my reasoning, BTW: I am there to see the show. I don't know these people, don't need to know them, don't need a personalized souvenir of the evening, & so on. I guess it's my same confusion over the whole issue of closing nights. I say they are for insiders & can't fathom why someone not involved in the show would get caught up in the emotion of something of which they had no part. It's a sort of voyeurism or, to coin a phrase, wallflowerism, it seems. Now, I can understand that there may be a community of stage door ... whatevers (Stage Door Johnny/Annie is so derogatory! there must be another term because "fan" doesn't quite encompass it)who enjoy their own gatherings at stage doors & then there are the e-Bay creeps, but for the average fan...what is the attraction?

This is a serious question. I am not judging, I am not deriding, I am no putting anyone down. I just don't understand the attraction. Thanks!

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#1re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:21pm

The last time I, as an adult, stood by a stage door (without my having a friend in the cast) was for the musical PARADE. I was devestated by it and was even more so when I found out it was closing that week. I just had to tell at least some of the cast how much I appreciated what I just witnessed. I didn't ask for any autographs, though.

And that very same week, I went back to the final performance. I just needed to see that production one more time.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#2re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:23pm

To say thank you.

Cadriel
#3re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:26pm

Honestly? To shake a hand and say "Great job" in a personal context. Sometimes you get an interesting bit of conversation in - I used to talk at some length with people from the Les Miz cast, and I've talked a bit with some Rent people. Also, frequently, to talk to other fans.

-Wayne

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#4re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:32pm

I like to show that I really enjoyed the person's performance.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#5re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:33pm

lc1965~ I beleive a small % of people are moved by a performance (er) enough to want to let that actor know how they feel. It's a personal thing, I think, and that's actually the kind of support most actors truly appreciate, for sure.

The rest of the folks, who don't really know the cast, just do it because 1)they follow certain performers from show to show and want to let them know they support them, 2)it gives some people something to talk about to others, 3)they like collecting autographs, 4) out of curiosity, (god knows why) 5) they sell signed things on E-Bay. Did I miss a catagory?

Others don't do it for a whole group of different reasons. Many of which you mentioned. Just my view.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

JakeB
#6re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:34pm

I've only done the stage door three times - once, it was Witches of Eastwick, my favourite show, and to me those people were like the most famous people in the world! Second, Judi Dench.. because she is the greatest actress of her generation and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a photo with her. Third, Matthew Perry.. it's no joke to say 'I grew up on Friends'. I started watching when I was 9, I'm now 16.. that programme shaped my life. I'm devastated that it's gone so downhill..

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#7re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:41pm

You don't like to meet the actors that performed for that night? I think it's a great opportunity to meet Broadway actors. Most of them are very nice and will talk to you. What about your favorite show- wouldn't you like to meet the actors who played the title roles?

=-)

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#8re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:50pm

ChristineDaae: Nope. I am there to see a performance, no emotional investment in the actors at all. I sort of understand now, after reading these posts, people's need to "say thanks" in a personal way, but I feel that the best way I can show my appreciation is to give the performers a genuine reaction during the show at at curtain calls. I feel to wait for them outside the stage door is actually an intrusion on their personal time, esp. bet. matinees & evening performances. I have written the occasional note of appreciation, even as an adult, & even called out to an actor passing me in the street, "So good to see you back in the show!" -- so I am not ruling out additonal feedback outside of the theatre. This stage-door-waiting-friend I refer to has talked me into it a few times & this is what I saw: the performers sneaked out if they could, looked relieved if no one stopped them, & showed exquisite upbringing by pleasantly greeting the people who'd waited & did recognize them. I have also seen a lot of actors looking terribly put-upon by the dozens of people wanting something from them, even a word or an autograph. These posts are all very interesting to me. Thanks, everyone!

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#9re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 4:57pm

ohh I see. I understand what your saying. I just thought you know if your a fan of Broadway, you would want to meet the actors or even your favorite actor. But I guess thats not the case. =-)

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#10re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:09pm

I LOOOOOVE waiting at stage doors. To me, meeting a Broadway star is more exciting than meeting a movie star. It's cool to talk to them about the show and get advice (i'm moving to nyc when i graduate high school to pursue a career on Broadway, so i need the advice.) it's also nice to see what their personalities are like. (ex. Sutton Foster: incredibly nice. Harvey Fierstein: jerk.)

Defy Gravity!!
Updated On: 12/11/03 at 05:09 PM

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#11re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:20pm

Well, there are levels of stage door waiting. Some actors clearly don't want to talk or are in a hurry, or tired, or whatever, and I think that trying to talk to them is insensitive if not rude. But some do seem to enjoy interacting with the fans, and I see nothing wrong with that. To each his or her own.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#12re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:28pm

I don't do it as much as I used to, but I guess I do it because I have a huge amount of respect for the performers (being a performer myself) and I enjoy personally telling them how much I admire their work. Some are incredibly gracious and interesting. For example, Linda Eder and I chatted for a while comparing the various productions of Jekyll and Hyde. Christine Andreas and I had a fun little chat about the 1980 Tonys when she was nominated for the revival of Oklahoma. Sometimes it's surprising how incredibly horrible they behave. I won't name names, but I would never pay for a ticket to see them perform again. There will always be admirers at stage doors and it comes with the territory. Actors who don't want to be bothered can find gracious ways of declining (I've seen it done and respected it) or sneak out another entrance (nothing wrong with that). But to treat the "fans" in the most horrific ways I have witnessed (direct insults, yells, and egotistical remarks) is the childish spiteful behavior of someone working in the wrong field.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Dollypop
#13re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:35pm

I used to be a Stage Door Johnny when I was much younger. However, as my contacts with people in show business developed, I got more and more backstage visits and rarely join the vigil at the stage door. I must admit, though, I was part of the throng waiting to see Hugh Jackman after THE BOY FROM DOZE.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

GirlfriendFromCanada
#14re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:37pm

I usually only stage door at shows where I care about a particular performer. I won't wait for the sake of waiting, or talk to cast members that I have nothing specific to say to. A smile and a good job is basically all I say to the ones I'm not specifically waiting for. But, still being quite the fan, it's still incredible to me that I can tell the people I admire so much that I enjoyed them and love getting a chance to see them. I like to hope that sometimes, it's nice for them to hear too. And then with a very select few, it's just the place to catch up quickly about other projects and such. I am usually pretty conscious about how those who just performed seem to be reacting to the stage door thing, and I cringe when people can't seem to notice that a person does not want to be doing that right now. The ones who don't want to be there are usually pretty obvious about it. But I don't see anything wrong with giving a compliment or having a short chat with those who don't mind that the fifteen or so minutes after the show are spent interacting with the fans. Updated On: 12/11/03 at 05:37 PM

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#15re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:42pm

I know alot of people in the cast of "Chicago". I consider them 'friends'.

I practically live backstage at the Ambassador Theatre. I have no problem with this.

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#16re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 5:49pm

MammaMiSammy: Backstage visiting friends & stage door waiting are very, very different things, don't you think? Thx for responding!

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#17re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 6:16pm

I, like I'm sure many other people on the boards, have role models performing in Broadway shows. If I see a show with them in it I like to stop by the stage door and tell them how much I loved the show. Unless they stop and chat I wouldn't stop them for more than a minute. I have had some very nice conversations with many people in my stage door excursions (Sutton Foster, Kerry Butler, Spencer Kayden...just to name a few)- its just really exciting to meet people you look up to so much.

PJ
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 6:20pm

I think it's the just the thrill of meeting an actor in a show that appeals to me. I loved meeting Bernadette.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#19stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 6:21pm

Well definitely for teenagers and children the stars act as good role models. Better role models, I think, than most of the people in Hollywood.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#20re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 6:44pm

What a friendly thread! See a few of them do exsist! I, too am very thrilled when I meet someone I've admired on stage or screen...or really any walk of life. I once had chance to meet Princess Dianna and JFK Jr., not together of course. But they were both very warm and seemed genuinely pleased to converse to people they didn't know. It's something I won't forget.

Besides, for years, I felt JFK was the THE single guy who had it all...power,personality, fame, fortune, funny, charming and handsome. OK...back to reality!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 12/11/03 at 06:44 PM

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#21re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 6:57pm

I say, to each his own. If you like doing it, fine. Just don't critcize an actor if he chooses not to greet fans at the stage door. If he or she has given 100% during the performance, then you've gotten your money's worth and really shouldn't expect anything else.

Bwayfan
#22re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 7:12pm

I think it is great how friendly the actors are when they are meeting the fans. Of course the broadway musicals are fun to watch but, having to talk to the actors are even better. I waited 10 to 15 minutes outside waiting to get to see the actors. I would even go wait at the door before the show starts just to talk to an actor I really admired.

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#23re: re: re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 8:54pm

I didn't get to read all of the posts under this topic so I'm just gonna post my personal opinion. I've heard many an Broadway perforer say that one great thing about performing on stage for a live audience is great because of the instant gratification you don't get when you shoot a film or tv show.
Maybe it's just one of those things you understand or you don't.
Another question....why do you think actors come out of stage doors when it's widely known that usually there are one or two other ways to leave the theatre? Ever think that maybe they like talking with fans just as much as fans like talking with them?
My favorite moment like this had to be with Susan Stroman, security wasn't letting anyone by to talk to her so most people left but I was looking for something in my purse when all of a sudden security said that she said it'd be ok if some people came back. By that time I was the only person there but she was more than happy to talk with me and everything. Definately took more time than she needed to and I, of course, was thrilled.
Nowadays I guess I'm lucky enough to have one or two shows who know me and will let me inside while everyone else waits outside but once in awhile if I really like a show, I'll wait outside with everyone else for actors to come out....as I said either you understand it or you don't.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

LilFinley
#24re: stage door waiting
Posted: 12/11/03 at 9:23pm

As a broadway actress myself it is nice to have people wait outstide the stagedoor! I know that when they do my work is truky apreaciated! It is a great compliment to us people on the other side of the procenium!

**Once I'm with the wizard*My whole life will change*Cause once your with the wizard*No one thinks your starnge**

Videos