pixeltracker

all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...- Page 2

all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#25re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:32pm

For me it is the tenth anniversary cast with the exception of Frances Rufelle, she is still my all time favorite Eponine (I still love Lea Salonga though) Ruthie Henshall and Philip Quast are just so damn good on that recording, and my love Michael Ball is better on this recording then the original London. Is it too soon to have a revival? re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there... the vhs tape doesn't compare to seeing it live.

musicnmath
#26re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:33pm

I've actually seen the Czech performance!! Very very good. Though their Javert was played by an American acquaintance of mine who didn't speak a word of the language (which is very difficult to pronounce). He got huge reviews. (this is the '97 recording -- didn't know there was a 2000 recording!)

Back to the question at hand: I definitely vote for the 10th Anniversary as well. I personally love that last track where all the Jean Valjeans from around the world come in to sing "Do You Hear the People Sing?". wow.

UsherMJD
#27re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:37pm

The CSR is 100% accurate to how Les Miz was last performed in America. I'm not sure about over seas. . . but as for about two stanzas of extra lyrics (not seen on stage) ALL of the show in included on that one recording.

If you have seen les miz live you will want the CSR simply for the sake of hearing all the music and being able to relive all the scenes.

On a side note. . . I'm looking for a cassette version of the show to play in my car. But I've found it difficult to find a copy. PLEASE e-mail me if any one knows where I could get a copy!!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#28re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:38pm

That's alot of languages. wow

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

ashley0139
#29re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:48pm

The cassette version I have is really old but I can try to figure out where I got it. My car also only plays cassettes so it does come in handy.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#30re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 5:59pm

"The CSR is 100% accurate to how Les Miz was last performed in America."

Before 1997, you mean.

http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Alley/1832/lyrics.htm

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 3/28/05 at 05:59 PM

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#31re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:08pm

I have the Original London Cast and I love Patti LuPone as Fantine. I would love to check out some of these other ones, esp. the one with Lea Salonga. Too bad they're so damn pricey!

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

LizzieCurry
#32re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:19pm

That's what eBay and used CD stores are for!

The TAC at this point is 9 1/2 years old. Unless it's for a gift, there's really no reason to buy it new anymore.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#33re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:22pm

How can you hate Kaho Shimada? I saw her perform "On My Own' in Japanese and it was beautiful. I was so glad that they used her for the CSR. And she's ten times better than Frances Ruffelle (Who I like). Is it because she doesn't speak English?

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

musicnmath
#34re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 6:22pm

Gypsy: half.ebay.com is your friend. I can't tell you how many CDs (and books) I've bought from there. Usually at around 1/2 off what you'd pay at someplace like Borders....

Usher: that site has cassettes too! Though not in its own category, so you have to check the comments. I'm staring straight at the Complete Symphonic recording on 3 cassettes for $25 right now!

happy shopping :)

ashley0139
#35re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 7:39pm

It's not because she doesn't speak English- I actually didn't know that. I just personally don't like her voice and what she does with the character. She has weird vowels. And I know that's probably because she didn't know english but it still irks me. Her voice, for me, is too... gosh I don't know how to describe it... dipthongy maybe? I'd have to listen to it again to know for sure. Geez. I didn't know the fact that I didn't like her would become such a big topic. re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#36re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 7:48pm

The Tenth Anniversary is definitely my favorite recording of Les Mis... the cast is flawless. =)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#37re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 7:55pm

Honey, on here EVERYTHING is a big topic!!! LOL!

Seriously tho, if you don't like Kaho that's fine - there are other choices.

The 10th Anniversary Concert (TAC) has most of the show (with Lea Salonga as Eponine). The bits that have been trimmed are minor and won't be missed. It is live with audience applause but that doesn't seem to bother too many people. (I have the Cd set but seldom play it since I also have the DVD of the whole concert)

The original 1985 London cast has different orchestrations but it does preserve Colm Wilkinson as his performance was when the show was new. It also has Patti Lupone as Fantine and includes Gavroches's Act one number "Little People" which was dropped from the show after the first production. (He still has a reprise of it in Act II which is no longer a reprise with the earlier vesrion cut.) This set also has a short aria for Cosette "I saw him Once" that has also been dropped. The downside is that it is on two not-very-full Cd's and with any opera (that's what LES MIZ is) I prefer a complete recording.

The Broadway cast set has the same main excerpts (minus the two cut numbers mentioned above) with Randy Graf replacing Patti Lu.

Has anyone ever thought of recording a singe Cd of just the major songs? (There is a highlights disc from the CSR but that has unnatural fades and abrupt stops and starts. We need one produced as a single CD.) As I said, I prefer my opera recordings note complete but I bet there would be a huge market for a singe disc of LES MIZ.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

UsherMJD
#38re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:00pm

Acctually lizzie, I'm referring to the last time I saw Les Miz, which I believe was in 2003. . . . this was the touring production, although I can't remember what was different in the NY production. I believe that there might have been some added details to the NY show, but because the touring production continued after it closed on Broadway. . . my statment is true.

LizzieCurry
#39re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 8:22pm

Since we were talking about the CSR, differences between the final days of the Broadway production and the 3nt are a moot point...

Let's begin with the fact that the CSR was recorded in 1988 and released in 1989. The Broadway production implemented 10th anniversary changes in 1997 (see link I posted earlier), and then in 2000 and 2001, both the Broadway and touring companies implemented the "avoid overtime!" cuts.

Thus, everything about Les Miz which was modified after the CSR was recorded is obviously not featured on that recording -- and is no longer accurate as to how the show has been performed live in several years. That's what I'm saying.

Updated On: 3/28/05 at 08:22 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#40re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 9:08pm

My favorite is the out of print (of course) '91 Paris Revival Cast.

Second, probably OFC and third maybe Mexican...

#41re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:43pm

10th anniversary cast definitely! I love Lea Salonga as Eponine and there's just something special about Phillip Quast's Javert. *sigh* :)

~Rosalynn

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#42re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/28/05 at 11:52pm

I really love the OLC, so I would recommend that one. I love Patti LuPone and Frances Rufelle.

ToDaysOfInspiration Profile Photo
ToDaysOfInspiration
#43re: all right all you Les Miz lovers out there...
Posted: 3/29/05 at 2:01am

I am definitely in the minority here but I am going to have to say the OBCR, however that is mainly due to the fact that it was the first Broadway recording that I really fell in love with (mind you I was like 10 at the time) but I really do love the 10th anniversary a ton also.

"To riding your bike midday Past the three piece suits To fruits ~ To no absolutes To absolut ~ To choice To the village voice To any passing fad To being an us for once - for once - instead of a them" ~RENT Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. ~James Dean

Videos