The "Idina Hands"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#25re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:00pm

Because she's not so much waving as she is flailing.
You'd get a kick out of the video of Raul standing on a chair, screaming and flailing about. I'll show you sometime.

*keeps waving arms*
Maybe I'll get a Tony, too.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/14/05 at 02:00 PM

dancersmom2 Profile Photo
dancersmom2
#26re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:02pm

I think Tony awards only mean talent when they are given to performers we like. re: The 'Idina Hands'

And I love Idina! Updated On: 4/14/05 at 02:02 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#27re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:04pm

Hahaha, that's funny. I just think it's undeniable that Tonya Pinkins and Donna Murphy were LEAGUES better than Edinshana.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#28re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:04pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not Idina-obsessed or anything, but I think she's way talented. She may not be the best actress, but when I saw her in Wicked, she gave me chills.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#29re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:05pm

I don't get chills from screaming and poor acting.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

luvtheEmcee
#30re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:06pm

I like Idina! I'm just playing. re: The 'Idina Hands'

I have a tendency to be won over by people who have a lot of vocal talent, even if they aren't the most fantastic actors in the world, apparently. re: The 'Idina Hands'

#31re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:08pm

She wasn't screaming when I saw her.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#32re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:09pm

'even if they aren't the most fantastic actors in the world'

Erm, no comment. re: The 'Idina Hands'

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

#33re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:09pm

Don't worry luvtheemcee, I could never get angry with you(from what I've heard from one of my good friends you are an awesome person).

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#34re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:10pm

Well, we all know I likes Idina...

And I saw Saycon - who also shakes are arms a lot - but not as much because she was always fizing her hat...

luvtheEmcee
#35re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:13pm

QM, you know it's true! Maybe I just have a soft spot for people who can't act. re: The 'Idina Hands'

I heart Saycon.

#36re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:19pm

I must have the same soft spot lol because my favorite is Linda Eder, and most people on this board hate her because she's not an actress.

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#37re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:37pm

Jazz hands!

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#38re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:45pm

Hmmm... I think people are giving Idina way too much credit. It is possible she was directed or choreographed that way. And if it was something of her own invention, it's the director's job to decide to keep it or throw it out. The "Idina hands" occurred in Rent only during Over the Moon, in which case it was intentional and funny because it was played honestly (much better than the current version which looks like an SNL skit trying to force the audience to laugh).

Yeah, I know, dissing is "fun", but it also needs to make some sense. It's like trying to diss Chenoweth for bad lyrics.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

luvtheEmcee
#39re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:46pm

I've never seen her perform her own stuff, but if Mister Matt is right, it might be telling if someone knew whether she does that during "intense" music at her solo gigs.

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#40re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:48pm

HAHA! This thread cracks me up, for some reason.

I love Idina, and think she's really talented, but sometimes when I'm watching her perform, I just want to start laughing hysterically.

Example: re: The 'Idina Hands'

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies
Updated On: 4/14/05 at 02:48 PM

#41re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:49pm

Yeah, who knows? It might just be a quirk, like Linda Eder tilting her head to the side when she belts. Mariah Carey sticking her finger in her ear when she hits whistle tones.

luvtheEmcee
#42re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:50pm

Adam Pascal putting his hand in his crotch when he sings... stuff. Yes, I'm dead serious.

Updated On: 4/14/05 at 02:50 PM

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#43re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:54pm

So Idina screams on her high notes, but she's got one of the most unique voices I've heard in a while. There's something strange about it that soothes me, I can't explain it...especially in For Good on the OBCR.

fliboi78
#44re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:54pm

well, i've only seen wicked now about 6 times and with three different elphies and each of them have the "hands". i think it was part of the direction given to them. especially during the end of defying gravity. they each contort their hands so they are pretty true to the original wicked witch.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#45re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:57pm

She does have a big mouth, but Patti LuPone would literally unhinge her jaw and swallow the stage whole during Evita.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#46re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 2:59pm

emcee- i heart saycon too. But everyone and their dog and mother knows that...

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#47re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 3:00pm

ONLY 6 times?!

fliboi78
#48re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 3:02pm

yeah, only 6. i didn't want to take out a loan to see it again. but i already have my tickets to see ana in chicago and RUE on may 31!!!!!!!!! but i am awaiting to see if idina and kristen will rejoin in LA. i would sell my grandma for a ticket to that!!!!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#49re: The 'Idina Hands'
Posted: 4/14/05 at 3:06pm

fliboy- really, you'd sell your grandma for tickets? How much is she worth these days...

Zepka- I'm not going to talk about this anymore. I have a bad history talking about grandmas on bww!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Videos