big audition time

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#25re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 12:09am

Songs For a New World: Christmas Lullaby or If you want to show off acting/singing Stars and the Moon (it is quite easy but you sing/act in it)

Aida: Easy as Life - This will show how well you can belt and is very intense

Miss Saigon: Move in My Mind - I have seen a few auditions with it...really a good one if you can pull of the emotions

Kiss Me Kate: I Hate Men (If the role is comedic this would be perfect)

Cabaret: Life is Cabaret - could be awesome ... Personally I like Maybe This time...it shows more emotion

And to be cliche: Les Mis: On My Own and Memory from Cats re: big audition time

GOOD LUCK :)

ashley0139
#26re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:37am

Stephanie- sorry, I think you many have misunderstood me. I am mostly a soprano. I sing higher better than lower. I meant that my alto range goes DOWN to an A below mid C. Sorry for confusion.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#27re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:13am

My suggestions:

-Nothing Really Happened (Is There Life After High School)
-Storybook (Scarlet Pimpernel)
-Riding High (High Society)
-Not For the Life of Me (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
-Marry Me A Little (cut from Company, don't know if that works)
-See I'm Smiling (The Last 5 Years)
-Pretty Music (Parade)
-Lion Tamer (The Magic Show)
-Billie (George M!)
-One Hundred Easy Ways (Wonderful Town)

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#28re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 10:56am

These shouldn't be TOO overdone.

[Make sure not to do too many songs from the new shows like Rent, Wicked, Phantom (don't do Think of me), Les Mis (every song from this is overdone) and The Wild Party.. because I guarantee they will be done by someone else. Like someone said..."the auditors will be impressed if you seem to be interested in more than a 5 year span of theater history." I couldn't agree more.]

The Earth and other Minor Things (Gigi)
I'm not afraid of anything (Songs for a new world)
Far from the home I love (Fiddler on the Roof)
Where is the warmth? (The Bakers Wife)
Stranger to the Rain (Children of Eden)
Forgiveness - or - The Finer Things (Jane Eyre)
Superhero Girl (Starmites)
Stop and See me (Weird Romance)
Still Hurting (The Last Five Years)
No Other Love (Me and Juliet)

I'll try and think of some more....some of the best "non-overdone" audition songs I've ever found have been pulled from the scores to Rodgers and Hammerstein "flops" : Look at Allegro, Me and Juliet, and Pipe Dream for some long lost gems.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

jenjenjen Profile Photo
jenjenjen
#29re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 11:07am

The Last Five Years would be great...

Any of the songs really, but if you've got the guts and you wana make a memorable impression - Climbing Uphill :)

Good Luck, don't listen to bronx, there's aboslutely no reason why you shouldn't make it if you want it bad enough :)

kateerin Profile Photo
kateerin
#30re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 1:42pm

I recommend looking at "My Fair Lady," "She Loves Me," "Bye Bye Birdie" (How Lovely to Be a Women would fantastic for your age and range and is never done because your age group tends to think of the old shows as boring), "Me and My Girl," "Brigadoon" and anything Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart

"If your wanting a beginner, I shan't do..."

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#31re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 3:01pm

I'm going to echo the advice of going back to old fashioned musicals to find some good audition songs: everyone, I repeat everyone, is doing stuff from Millie, Aida, and Wicked, and Jason Robert Brown has become very popular over the past few years, too. My suggestions:

--Sweet Charity (I'm the Bravest Individual and I'm a Brass Band have really good cuts)

--Babes In Arms (The Lady is a Tramp is character-y, My Funny Valentine is a great ballad, and Johnny One Note is great for belting)

--On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (Hurry It's Lovely Up Here is sweet and cutesy, What Did I Have That I Don't Have is torchy)

--Nine (specifically Unusual Way, which is a great soprano ballad)

--Jane Eyre (The Finer Things could be your Think Of Me, and it's never done, which makes it even better)

--Grand Hotel (I Want to Go To Hollywood is a great belter song)

--Once Upon a Mattress (Shy is great for belting, Happily Ever After is a great bluesy song)

--Wonderful Town (Little Bit In Love is cutesy and soprano, One Hundred Easy Ways is belty and comic but VERY difficult)

--Finian's Rainbow (Look to the Rainbow)

As for Sondheim, you may not want to venture into that territory because he's difficult to audition with, but if you do I'd recommend On the Steps of the Palace from Into the Woods (great soprano-y acting song), Green Finch and Linnet Bird from Sweeney Todd (soprano song), and Little Lamb from Gypsy (again, soprano and very introspective).

Break a leg!

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth
Updated On: 5/17/05 at 03:01 PM

pndmnd
#32re: big audition time
Posted: 5/17/05 at 3:31pm

Just throwing in my two cents. I'm not coming up with a lot of "definitely do" numbers (it really does have to be an individual decision), but I do have some suggestions to stay away from. Don't do anything from Phantom of the Opera, Les Miz, Cats, Sweet Charity (actually, don't do anything that is on Broadway or closed in the last couple of years). Someone suggested Stars and the Moon from Songs for a New World, but I think it's done quite a bit (and it's rather long). Same with Stranger to the Rain (from Children of Eden). I would also stay away from The Last Five Years. It's really built up popularity over the past few years, and Kathy would not be type-appropriate. Someone suggested songs from She Loves Me, and I think that's a good idea. Basically if you stay away from any of the major hits, or things that are currently picking up steam, that would be good. And you should do at least one older song, but don't do one of the obvious--no Sound of Music or Oklahoma. Maybe think about a Gershwin! Oh, and don't do Sondheim unless you're REALLY confident and good at it--accompaniests hate that. I don't remember what all of my songs were, but I do remember that I did a song from Peter Pan that worked well for my voice and my type. Make sure that your three songs are contrasting. Have fun and good luck!

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#33re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 3:25am

Ashley, there are some great suggestions for you in this thread!

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

ashley0139
#34re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 8:09am

Thank you guys! I am beyond grateful and I am definetly looking into a lot of these choices. Thanks! Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. What would be some good not overdone R&H type stuff? Unless that's already in there. I don't know all the songs people mentioned. Anyways, thanks! Keep 'em coming.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

pndmnd
#35re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 10:34am

Check out some Lerner and Lowe, Rogers and Hart, or Cole Porter for older styles. Kiss me Kate is always good. Cinderella, Anything Goes. For a somewhat newer show, maybe check out Working--there are a few good female songs in there (Millwork has more of a folk feel to it, Just a Housewife wouldn't be age appropriate, Just Moving might be a good one--it's very fun). Footloose might be another good modern show (if you want something more pop). Of Thee I Sing is a VERY unknown older show. The Mystery of Edwin Drood has some good stuff in it. Stay away from the traditional "high school" shows. When I was auditioning for colleges, Secret Garden was still a no-no, but it might be OK by now.

musical medea Profile Photo
musical medea
#36re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 1:37pm

i would suggest climbing uphill from last five years, last midnight from ITW, patterns from baby, sailor of my dreams from dames at sea, miller's son from lillte night music, speaking french from lucky stiff, mama will provide from once on this island, and breaking down (cant remember what its from). also a helpful hint, unless you are bringign your own accompianist or bringing a tpae (which most places forbid) be careful singing songs that are too unknown. the piano player provided probably wont know the song and will screw you up...it happend to me this year at BTP auditions, so i have first hand experience. Good Luck!!!!

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#37re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 4:25pm

"Honey Bun" from South Pacific
Something from the Last Five Years
"I'm not afraid"(sp?) from Songs...

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#38re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 4:31pm

Hmmmm...R&H that's not overdone...the only song that comes to mind is The Gentleman Is a Dope, which is from one of their lesser known shows (Pipe Dream, I think)--it's very funny and good for showing off the midrange. State Fair might also be good to check out, because I think material from there is also rarely done.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

pndmnd
#39re: big audition time
Posted: 5/19/05 at 6:33pm

Ooh--Speaking French. Yeah, I agree on that one--very fun. Oh, and I definitely agree with Honey Bun and something from State Fair. On a Clear Day You Can See Forever might have some stuff for you to check out, too. I still think Last Five Year's isn't really type appropriate for a 17 or 18 year old.

Videos