big audition time

ashley0139
#0big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:16pm

It's that time. The time when I have the biggest auditions of my life to date. College auditions. I am trying to think of some really knock-out songs to use for my auditions, and I would really love some help. I am female, 17 going on 18, and a soprano II mostly but can hit a high Bb and belt to an A below mid C. I am looking for less known songs from Broadway or off-Broadway. Thanks for any help! I know you guys are great at this.

Ashley

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#1re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:20pm

A suggestion... "Too Late" and "Easy As Life" are two really good knock-out songs that show off good voices, are in your range, and are not used often as far as I hear..

good luck!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#2re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:21pm

new idea: check out Debbie Gravitte's Alan Menken album, all the songs are in your range. Like, "I Want To Be a Rockette", and other really great songs

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#3re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:22pm

i have NO idea if this would fit your range, or if it would show of anything, but "Taylor the latte Boy" is really cute, and not many people know it. PM if you would like to know more.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#4re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:29pm

IMsooHyprToday- I'm not trying to shoot down your idea but "Taylor..." is getting popular and by next year (I'm assuming that's when auditions are) with many teenage Cheno fans (I am not saying there is anything wrong with that) buying her new CD and wanting to be an actress it will only become even more popular.(I hope that made sense). I would go with something more classic (or classic sounding) and if you are allowed two songs choose one classic one contemporary.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#5re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:31pm

Also, is it a good idea (not shooting down your idea ImSoHyprToday) to use a comedic song like that for college auditions?

I mean, maybe its a great song to use for that, I've never had a college audition, but I'd only think that...

I could be lying though

ashley0139
#6re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:33pm

I have to have 3 contrasting songs- so I'll look at as many as possible. Also, it has to be from Broadway. I don't know if that one is or not. Please guys, I really need help!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#7re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:34pm

You probably won't make it.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#8re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:35pm

ooooooooooooh ok

Oh yeah, Taylor the Latte Boy isnt in any Broadway show

errrm how about:

1.) I Have Confidence in Me (The Sound of Music)
2.) Think of Me (The Phantom of the Opera)
3.) Easy As Life (Aida)
OR OR OR OR OR OR OR

Adelaide's Lament..

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#9re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:35pm

bronx, that was very rude.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#10re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:36pm

Oo. Think of Me. If you can knock the crap out of that B, you'll get it for sure. :)

This is my signature.

ashley0139
#11re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:36pm

Thanks sally, those are all really overdone though, I think.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#12re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:38pm

ashley- consider lippa's "wild party" for your contemporary...there are some great, and impressive songs...

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#13re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:38pm

Ashley, where ya applying to?

Meadowlark maybe? From "The Baker's Wife"

This is my signature.
Updated On: 5/16/05 at 09:38 PM

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#14re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:42pm

First of all - Sally, I Have Confidence isnt from the stage version The Sound of Music, it is only from the movie.

And I don't think a college audition song has to be a BROADWAY song - but a musical theatre piece (Which "Taylor the Latte Boy" IS)

Anyone plese correct me if Im wrong. But thats just what I thought.

bwaybaby891
#15re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:45pm

Meadowlark is an amazing song. It isn't heard too much either. Lippa's Wild Party is great for belty solos. If I were you I would take contrasting pieces. One ballad-ish number and one fast number. Maybe a comedic number if you can do that stuff. Also doing a high range number and a belt one is a good idea. It shows your versitility. Good Luck!!

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

bwaybaby891
#16re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 9:47pm

I Have Confidence was in the revival of Sound of Music with Rebecca Luker (sorry to those who love her but I wanted to stab out my ear drums when I heard her do this song). It is a Broadway song.

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

amourdujour Profile Photo
amourdujour
#17re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:06pm

Think of me = overdone

One that had landed me many a good role is "Not For The Life Of Me" from Thoroughly Modern Millie.

http://medialiciousmusings.blogspot.com/

BertCCRI2 Profile Photo
BertCCRI2
#18re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:07pm

I would advise against "Meadowlark" for a couple of reasons: it's been covered by some of the best Broadway singers around and is thus very familiar, and it's five and a half minutes long. One of my favorite obscure show ballads, for a soprano, but not high, is "Love Was" from "A Joyful Noise." It's published, if the book is still in print. For a dramatic, showy piece, look at "Old Maid" from "110 in the Shade."

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#19re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:13pm

no think of me, no lippa's wild party. absolutely no taylor the latte boy.

having done 6 college auditions 2 years ago and now hearing endless college showcases at school, i can tell you that it seems like every single person does lippa's wild party. your best bet: stick to some slightly older and lesser known stuff. even the off-broadway stuff from recent years (last 5 years in particular) is now extremely popular for college auditions. the auditors will be impressed if you seem to be interested in more than a 5 year span of theater history.

amourdujour Profile Photo
amourdujour
#20re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:14pm

"the auditors will be impressed if you seem to be interested in more than a 5 year span of theater history."

good point kitkat

http://medialiciousmusings.blogspot.com/

ashley0139
#21re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:16pm

So what are some older lesser known Broadway and off-Broadway stuff? I've only really gotten into it in the past few years,

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#22re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:23pm

even though Nine had a recent revival ... for some reason people don't do that so much. there are so many great soprano (and 1 belt, at least) songs in that show, i would definitely check it out and see which ones are best for your range.

that's where i would start. also look into: the fantastiks, how to succeed, once upon a mattress, song & dance. all of those have large selections of not overly-used songs for your range.

a lot of people do things from ragtime and parade, but both shows remain pretty well-respected for audition songs.

BertCCRI2 Profile Photo
BertCCRI2
#23re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 10:36pm

Here are two more numbers, in addition to the ones I suggested earlier, from each of the categories you mention: from classic musicals, check "It's Got to Be Love" from "On Your Toes"; from Off-Broadway, "Little Rag Doll" from "Man With a Load of Mischief," for which there is a new CD out, worth getting as the LP has been out of print for decades.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#24re: big audition time
Posted: 5/16/05 at 11:13pm

Not For the Life of Me goes to the D above high C and you hold the high C for a while--you said belting yuo were up to an A right? so that wouldn't work.

I would suggest doing something really soprano-y and something very belty..i just can't think of WHAT! I'll look through my stuff and get back if I think of anything!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Videos