pixeltracker

The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley- Page 2

The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#25re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:24pm

I too love 'Showgirls' for its camp factor. The sad thing is, I think it actually had a great deal of potential originally but unfortunately it all got flushed down the toilet.

Heck, if 'Debbie Does Dallas' can be turned into a campy musical then why not go for 'Showgirls'? I know I would go. Hell, I'd even audition for it!

SO, everyone remembers the "I'm so excited..." line but here is a bit of trivia for ya. Do you remember the name of her girl group she was singing it with?

I'm pleased to hear that Ms. Berkley has received positive notices. I've been pulling for her for a long time now. She is also very nice. I took a couple dance classes with her a few years ago at BDC and she was very friendly and worked hard in class.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Kringas
#26re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 4:37pm

SO, everyone remembers the "I'm so excited..." line but here is a bit of trivia for ya. Do you remember the name of her girl group she was singing it with?

Hot Sundae, I believe.

And good for her. She has done quite a lot of work since Showgirls and she's not a bad actress.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#27re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 6/20/05 at 4:44pm

Chelsea Cinemas is showing Showgirls this thursday, 6/23 at 7:00 pm, hosted by Hedda Lettuce. It always sells out, and it's a blast.

http://www.clearviewcinemas.com/thursday_at_chelsea.shtml

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#28re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 6/20/05 at 4:48pm

Excellent work Kringas! Just a bit of useless trivia but I love it nonetheless! :)

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Kringas
#29re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 6/20/05 at 4:54pm

Why, thank you, Wonder Boy. Though I know the episode is really called "Jessie's Song," my brother once dubbed it "Fun With Caffeine Pills," which I must admit is a much catchier title. I must have seen that episode about a hundred times.

When you consider that she had SBTB and Showgirls to live down, I think Elizabeth Berkley deserves even more credit for where her career is at this point.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#30re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 6/20/05 at 5:28pm

Hahahaha! Totally agreed!

chasgoose
#31re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 6/20/05 at 7:29pm

I actually think that Showgirls is a great postmodern comedy. If you go from the assumption that the director knew exactly what he was doing (and he has pulled stuff like this before) and he was actually trying to get the worst possible input from everyone involved (except Gina Gershon who actually gives a good self-conscious performance) than it is nothing short of a stunning accomplishment. Elizabeth Berkley, however, is absolutely wretched in this movie, but in a good way that fits the general feel of the piece.

On the subject of Showgirls the Musical, it essentially is already a musical (at least it's structured that way), all one would have to do is add lyrics to the showgirls/stripper dance scenes and maybe one or two more songs scattered throughout the rest of the story. You wouldn't really have to alter the script that much since it is barebones enough for a musical already. Actually, I think Showgirls could actually be a decent musical. Many of its percieved flaws would be acceptable in the context of musical theater.
Updated On: 6/20/05 at 07:29 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#32re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 11:46am

Anyone else seen Berkley in Hurlyburly and have any thoughts about her performance?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
#33re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 11:59am

Have you ever seen "Showgirls" on VH1? They *LITERALLY* draw a cartoon bra on her for the topless scenes. CARTOON! I'm not kidding.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#34re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 12:03pm

Is HurlyBurly even running still?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#35re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 3:30pm

No. I closed at 37 Arts on 2 July of this year.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#36re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:16pm

re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**

BSoBW2
#37re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:21pm

I would LOVE Showgirls the Musical!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#38re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:25pm

Actually, SHOWGIRLS captures the phoniness of Vegas better than any movie I've ever seen. Truly this generation's VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, to call it a "bad" movie is both totally accurate and missing the point entirely.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#39re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:37pm

I agree 100%!

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#40re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 5:51pm

re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**

Marquee logo anyone?

"Leave Your Inhibitions At The Door...The Show Is About To Begin"

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#41re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 6:11pm

Showgirls is like, the awesomely bad movie. I do watch it all the time, though, haha.

Ooh! That episode with the caffeine pills in one of my favorites. My other favorite is when the girls do the music video and are like, excercising. *is not meant lesbionic*

I think Showgirls would only be good as a musical if they changed the script and made it like a satire or a spoof. JMO, though.

In other news, who do we think would work as Nomi? *just thinking*

TennesseeTwang
#42re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 6:44pm

The thing with Berkley and Showgirls wasn't so much the awfulness of the movie or even her horrible performance in it. It was the fact that prior to it's release, Berkley was being touted as the next Sharon Stone, a la Basic Instinct. Unfortunately, during the film's promotion, Elizabeth frequently came across as someone who belived her own press. To say that her behavior was smug would be a huge understatement.

Her behavior was like that of someone who simply KNEW she was the hottest, most talented thing on two legs, appearing in one of the sexiest movies ever made. It was hard to doubt that she thought she was headed straight to the top of the A-List.

Then the scathing reviews came out. Because she had rubbed so many people the wrong way by acting like a star before she actually became one, many people laughed long and hard. They felt she simply had it coming.

It turned out to be a great show biz lesson. Don't ever assume that any movie will launch your career into the stratosphere. It could turn out to be a fiasco and you will look like the biggest fool imaginable.
Updated On: 9/13/05 at 06:44 PM

MUNKY Profile Photo
MUNKY
#43re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 7:55pm

Haha! Ms. Berkeley is making a come back?

I liked it when she pushed the evil b*tch down the stairs...

"Now I may not have much, but I have more determination than any man you're likely to meet." - Big Fish
"Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes." - Swordfish

kate2
#44re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 8:45pm

so i was thinking, that caffeine pills episode was supposed to be serious... it turned out to be fricken hilarious! "NO! I NEED THEM!!" you'd have to be a real cheeseball to be touched by that episode!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#45re: **On the subject, see Showgirls on Thursday**
Posted: 9/13/05 at 9:22pm

Despite the epic fallout of Showgirls she's still managed to find some decent parts in stuff like The First Wives Club (apparently Goldie felt sorry for her), The Real Blonde, and the underrated Roger Dodger.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Videos