pixeltracker

The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley

The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 12:36pm

From the NY Times (on her performance in HURLYBURLY):

"That Ms. Berkley holds her own among this skilled company of scene-stealers is a testament to how much her talent has grown since her appearance in the monumentally bad movie. As Bobbie, a 'balloon dancer' who gets more than she bargained for on a joyride with a frustrated actor, the statuesque Ms. Berkley is like a big, battered Barbie doll, a bruised good-time girl who, contrary to expectations, turns out to have a more reliable moral compass than almost anyone else onstage."

I love how the author repeatedly refers to the "monumentally bad movie" and never names it. Like we don't know which one it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/theater/newsandfeatures/19ishe.html?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 6/19/05 at 12:36 PM

apdarcey
#1re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 12:59pm

aw... jessie spanno can act.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:03pm

I am waiting for Showgirls The Musical

Poster Emeritus

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#3re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:17pm

she'll always be jessie spano the smart one, that eventually took pills when she was under a lot of pressure lol

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#4re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:19pm

"I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO.... scared!!" ::sobs::

i think the funniest thing is when they had the pageant at school. during the swimsuit competition, she came out in a trenchcoat and said something about women being beautiful or something... thinking back, too funny :P

::bust a move::

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#5re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:22pm

haaahhahaa that was so funny when she was singing that song!

Or the time when her step-brother came..that was random

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#6re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:31pm

See I dunno...I think as slightly illustrated by us, when I see her name, the first thing I think of is Saved By The Bell, not Showgirls. I mean some actors hate that association with one TV show as well, but still...

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#7re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:33pm

I see her pushing that prissy down the stairs.

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#8re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 1:57pm

yea, i was ironically watching Behind the Scenes- Saved by the Bell yesterday and the guy who played Zack talked about how, at one point, he wished everyone just forgot about Saved by the Bell.

EganFan2
#9re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 2:11pm

"I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO.... scared!!" ::sobs::

I think pretty much everyone who ever watched Saved by the Bell knows that line.

Forester Profile Photo
Forester
#10re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 2:22pm

"I am waiting for Showgirls The Musical"

It will work. Get half way decent music and a lot of nudity, it'll turn profit from the tourists.

Off topic: did you know that Zack is half Indonesian?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#11re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 2:23pm

Yeah, I just finally finished my SBTB seasons 3 and 4 DVD, which I got like last August...oops. Pretty cool, they had commentaries of a couple episodes with Dennis Haskins, Dustin Diamond, and Lark Voorhies. I love watching retrospective commentaries like that.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#12re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 2:33pm

Saw Berkley in "Hurlyburly" this past week and was very impressed. I went in with no expectations towards her (I had previously seen this revival twice) and was greatly enraptured by her performance. Everybody should go see this revival, if they haven't already. It ends in two weeks.

BTW, did anybody else notice that Isherwood continuously wrote that her character is "Bobbie". The character's name is "Bonnie".

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#13re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 4:11pm

I actually recently (finally) saw "Showgirls" for the first time. It really is as bad as everyone says it is...I can't believe Berkley ever got offered another job after that debacle...

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#14re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 5:23pm

I can't imagine any sort of redemption after Showgirls, but I guess anything is possible. Seriously, one of the worst performances ever captured on celluloid.

liz328
#15re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 5:36pm

LOL...Bless Jessie Spano for teaching us all the dangers of caffeine pills.

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#16re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/19/05 at 5:56pm

I don't think my parents will know what the "infamous movie" is. And they'll read that article today or tomorrow and probably ask me when I call them next (I'm trying to teach them to use IMDB, but it's a slow process). They just aren't into pop culture. Neither am I; I just know this somehow, though I haven't seen it.

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

SWTaffy Profile Photo
SWTaffy
#17re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 10:53am

When i asked 5 people to name the fist thing they think of when they think of Saved by the Bell.

And "I'm SO EXCITED, I'm SO EXCITED...I'm So SCARED"

is the comment everyone said.

Showgirls comes right after.

My point is I still think of SBTB when I think of Elizabeth Berkley.

It's worth a shot/ :) www.freephotoiPods.com/?r=15009978

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#18re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 11:18am

Chelsea Cinemas is showing SHOWGIRLS this Thursday night at 7:00 pm as part of the Chelsea Classics Series. Tickets are $6.00 and the evening is hosted by Hedda Lettuce who does a running commentary throughout the movie. It's so much fun!!

If you decide to go you better get there early as it will be packed.

Updated On: 6/20/05 at 11:18 AM

LoringsGuy
#19re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 11:26am

SHOWGIRLS is brilliantly bad. I never get tired of watching it...I find something new to laugh at every time.

Goldie Hawn really pushed for Elizabeth to get cast in FIRST WIVES CLUB because she felt the poor girl needed a chance to redeem herself.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Urban
#20re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:01pm

I am not sure what I'd want more "Saved by the Bell: The Musical" or "Showgirls: The Musical".

I was actually one of those rare people that liked "Showgirls" (I guess the gay man in me found the camp of it all amusing).

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#21re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:03pm

Urban-Agreed. Showgirls is one of those so-bad-it's-good movies.

Does Hurlyburly have a student rush? I'm interested in seeing it before the run ends.

Urban
#22re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:11pm

Definately LucilleAndLeoFrank. I think most people got confused thinking you Nomi. But you where not suppose to. You are meant to dislike her (she has very little redeeming values really). It is much more fun to hate her in the movie!

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#23re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:15pm

Absolutely, Urban. I think I'll watch it again this afternoon and laugh my ass off.

Urban
#24re: The Redemption of Elizabeth Berkley
Posted: 6/20/05 at 12:18pm

Gosh, now I want to watch it! LOL.

Videos