pixeltracker

Jerry Herman's Best Score- Page 2

Jerry Herman's Best Score

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#25re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 7:17am

Milk And Honey has some great tunes as well, but as a whole it doesn't measure up to the 4 classics (mame, dolly, la cage, and despite being a flop - mack and mabel)

I also really enjoyed Miss Spectacular.

Side note - I just read in Reidel that they're working on (another) revision of m&m for bway.

....but the world goes 'round

philcrosby
#26re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 8:21am

In order:

MAME (practically perfect in every way)
HELLO, DOLLY (number two only because a couple of the numbers aren't his)
DEAR WORLD (the title song is a real clunker, but the rest of the score is divine)
MACK AND MABEL (he should be ashamed of BIG TIME)
LA CAGE AUX FOLLES (one of his shortest, most repetitive scores, even though it is highly effective)
MILK AND HONEY (SHALOM is lovely but the rest ...?)
THE GRAND TOUR (MARIANNE is breathtaking)

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#27re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 8:40am

Mame

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#28re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 9:07am

My choice? MAME.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#29re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:24am

my vote is Hello Dolly. the Pearl Bailey version and the Carol Channing version are classic!

Urban
#30re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:32am

My personal preference for what I have seen/heard (in order and to be honest it is really close between most of them - I love them all!):

Mack & Mabel
Dear World
Mame
Hello Dolly!
The Grand Tour

I havn't seen his other stuff. Yes it is suprising I have not seen or heard La Cage Aux Folles as a show, even though I have properly heard a number of songs individually. Oh well, I guess even somebody as great and magnificant as Mr. Herman have stuff I have not seen (yet).

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#31re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:35am

^

i recommend picking up La Cage Aux Folles's cast recording. it really is wonderful to hear!

Urban
#32re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:43am

Is there a few versions out there, or just the original? Has any revival or foreign version get recorded (other then a crappy el-cheapo studio cast I mean)? I am actually a little shocked at how little I know about this show (other then the movies) come to think of it, especially when I have (and like) all three of Jerry Herman's big 70s flops.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#33re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 11:07am

Ah Brendan Stryker...that takes me back...

BkCollector
#34re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 11:11am

I'd have to say Dear World is his best score. Especially for the songs "I've never Said I Love you" "Kiss her Now" and 'The Tea Party' which is so much fun. The title song is indeed terrible.

His worst score in my opinion is La Cage. I find myself listening to Morricone's score for the film far more than Herman's score. I think he took a thought provoking story and made it campy and gaudy (it's Firestein's fault too).

Milk and Honey has some great moments, I'd love to hear a more complete version of the score.

Dollypop
#35re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 11:17am

<-----------------------------

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#36re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 11:33am

Herman wrote a score about a French whore?

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#37re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 11:48am

I enjoyed the Grand Tour, but I agree it was Joel Grey who made that show.

And Jerry's working on a revised version of M&M? I guess he found the loop hole in his vow. If this is true, I'm definitely going to see it!

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#38re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 11:53am

I got it wrong. Apparently the revival is not on the way....yet.

"* Producer Barry Weissler wanted to revive Jerry Herman's 1970 musical "Mack and Mabel" on Broadway next year. But when Weissler said he wanted to bring in a new book writer to replace Francine Pascal, Herman told him to get lost.

Pascal has spent years reworking the show's script, originally written by her brother, Michael Stewart.

She and Herman are close friends, and he wasn't about to throw her under the bus for Weissler"
REIDEL

sondheimgeek
#39re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 12:02pm

Aw, thats too bad. I'd love to see this on Broadway in the future. Has it had any Broadway productions since the original? (I know of the London ones, yes...)

Urban
#40re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 12:02pm

Would the show even 'work for the hoi-polloi' even with a re-write. The sad thing is you cannot change the fact both Mabel Normand and Mack Sennett are rather unlikeable people at the very end of the day. Heck you can't exactly do a dark-but-up-beat thing to it.

sondheimgeek
#41re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 12:08pm

I wonder if they were to do a revival with the original book, would peoples reaction to the material be the same? I think half yes, and half no.

IThespis Profile Photo
IThespis
#42re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 12:49pm

Interesting that about five posters say they don't know much of his work, yet have an opinion ... which is why Jerry Herman's music is attractive, just a bit of it can charm.

Me? Hard to choose a "best" but I about fell down at seeing MISS SPECTACULAR mentioned, and enjoyed DEAR WORLD not being forgotten.

Note for Jerry Herman fans: get PARADE and hear how it all began.

(There's a newspaper interview with him, back when his notice was happening from MILK AND HONEY ... he said he was in a market and overheard someone whistling one of his tunes; he felt "gee, just think, I made someone whistle." He has had a lovely life making people whistle.)

Yeah, listen to PARADE.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#43re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 1:43pm

I love Milk and Honey. Indepence Day Hora? Chin Up, Ladies? A Hymn to Hymie? Love it.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#44re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 1:44pm

MACK & MABEL...its a gem. Right up there with MERRILY as one of the best flop scores ever.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#45re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 1:57pm

Mack and Mabel, then Mame

But I do LOVE several of the songs from Dear World...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Videos