Jerry Herman's Best Score

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#0Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:05am

I'm torn between Mack and Mabel and Dear World.

What is your favorite Jerry Herman score?

timote316
#1re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:09am

I can't say I've heard many of his scores, but Mack and Mabel is great.

lvpblues
#2re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:12am

As much as I like "Mack and Mabel", I think his best is "Mame"

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#3re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:28am

I'm giving my vote to La Cage aux Folles. There isn't a song on that score I don't love. Mame is great too, but I've never liked St.Bridget or We Need a Little Christmas. However, I'm not a very informed voter, I admit I haven't heard Mack and Mabel.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:32am

Even "Masculinity" GypsyRoseLee?

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#5re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 3:00am

I vote for 'Dear World' although I like 'Hello, Dolly!' a lot

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 10:34am

Mack & Mabel - not nominated for a Tony

Poster Emeritus

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#7re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:54pm

HELLO, DOLLY!

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

MusicalDirector109
#8re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:57pm

I love "Mack and Mabel" because its not "typical" Herman. In second place; a tie between "Mame" and 'La Cage"

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#9re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:27pm

La Cage is the only score of his I can even remotely stand to listen to - and even that isn't THAT great a score to me. Still, Song on the Sand helps make up for a lot of weaknesses

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#10re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:59pm

I may be a little unfair in saying La Cage b/c other than Hello Dolly, it's the only full score I know, but I do really love it, and "I Am What I Am" and the message within is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

grizzabella
#11re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:14pm

I have to admit I'm not terribly familiar with Mack & Mabel, but I have to throw my vote in with La Cage Aux Folles. I love this score, even Masculinity, which makes me laugh every time I hear it. And I think the little counterpoint song Herman added to "Ann On My Arm" in the revival was clever. I'm also crazy about "Look Over There" and "I Am What I Am," both powerful messages. I just find the whole score consistently strong.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#12re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 2:52pm

Although La Cage is my favorite show, I would say his best score is "Mame." Every song is a gem.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#13re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:06pm

Dear World..."The Tea Party" is absolutely brilliant!

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#14re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 8/21/05 at 5:38pm

I like all of his scores. Don't think I can pick a favorite. Well, perhaps MAME.

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#15re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 7:44pm

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I don't think I can choose, but if I had to, I'd say a tie between Mack and Mabel, Mame, and Dear World.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#16re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 7:53pm

It's like asking me to choose between my children!

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Broadwayj1 Profile Photo
Broadwayj1
#17re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:15pm

Mame

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#18re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:23pm

No love for Grand Tour?

....but the world goes 'round

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#19re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:40pm

"No love for Grand Tour?"

That's what I was thinking.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

husk_charmer
#20re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:42pm

Mame. Followed closely by La Cage.

Grand Tour is ok, Joel Grey made that show though.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#21re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:52pm

I love all of Jerry Herman's scores. What can I say? I just do.

That said, I think "Mack and Mabel" is probably his best. My favorite, though, is "La Cage aux Folles."

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#22re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:16pm

Next to Richard Rodgers, Jerry Herman wrote the best scores of anyone. I love them all, but if I had to chose just one, it would be Mame.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#23re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 6:03am

Mack and Mabel first and then The Grand Tour.

I think La Cage and Dolly each have a handful of good songs but are way below the standards of the above two. Song on the Sand is so banal it could have been written by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Mame and Dear World are almost as good as The Grand Tour and I would agree that The Tea Party (from Dear World) is brilliant.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#24re: Jerry Herman's Best Score
Posted: 3/21/08 at 7:13am

"I Am What I Am" is the only song from LA CAGE that I can stand, I dislike all the other songs from that show, ugh.
My favorite Jerry Herman score is MACK & MABEL, I can't get enough of it, but his best is HELLO, DOLLY! MACK & MABEL starts incredibly strong, but after "Wherever He Ain't" there isn't a good song until "Time Heals Everything." I still can't believe he didn't write a decent duet for the couple. HELLO, DOLLY! is strong from start to finish.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Videos