pixeltracker

Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?- Page 2

Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#25re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:59pm

Yes, a Sunday revival is definately in order with Michael Cerveris as George. Marc Kudisch would be a good choice too but since Michael is apparently Sondheim's number one home dawg now...

No idea who could play Dot, though, but I would love to see a revival.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#26re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:00pm

Awww, but what about our willing suspension of reality? I'm willing to do so if Murphy takes over this role, she's just sooo good. Makes me sad she can't play Dot. Then again none of the George mentioned here are 24, they're in their 30s.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#27re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:04pm

But Donna's in her late 40s...She'd be fab in a concert version, though. Or as 2nd Act Dot. She's not too old for that re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#28re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:06pm

Ohh, that's so mean!
*crosses his arms and turns his head offended* re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
I know she's too old to play Dot, but how old was Ms. Peters when she did it though? Wasn't she almost 40?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#29re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:09pm

Bernadette was 34

SorryGrateful
#30re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:10pm

I would love to see this done. Especially if you could get Cerveris to do George. He's already done a concert version, correct? I think he'd be an incredible George and he's got the voice for it.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

MarkCohen
#31re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:11pm

Jennifer Laura Thompson as Dot! I can't stress it enough.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#32re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:19pm

OK, you win Michael Bennett, I guess you are right, but still Murphy should do a concert version of the show. i can just imagine her singing the title number! Wow!
I don't like the idea of Jenniffer Laura Thompson playing this role at all, but that made me think that maybe Kristin Chenoweth would be a great Dot. Many critics in the Wicked reviews said that her performance is the performance of an old-fashioned musical theater star in contrast to Menzel's more rock or modern voice/acting. I think she has great comic timing which is absolutely necessary to play Dot and especially Marie, and though I've only seen her in "Wicked" and the DVD of "The Music Man" which are more comedic/romantic roles, I'm sure she would do a great job with the dramatic portion of the role.

Chrysanthemum62001
#33re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:51pm

Yeah, Michael did George at Ravinia. With Audra as Dot.

Honestly, I think Audra would be great as Dot. I would LOVE to see her and Michael do a Broadway revival of it. I think they would be perfect. And they work so well together.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

MarkCohen
#34re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 6:59pm

Kristin doesn't have the low voice quality necessary for the part.

I also can't see Cerveris in it.

Chrysanthemum62001
#35re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 7:02pm

I heard him (Michael) sing "Color and Light" at Wall to Wall. He messed up, and had to start over, but it was flawless otherwise.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#36re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 7:10pm

Absolutely! And cast the Actress who did "Fastrada" in the "Pippin" concert with the all-stars as Dot, I don't remember her name but she is something wonderful!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

C is for Company
#37re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 7:11pm

Bring back betsy joslyn to reprise her role she had after bernadette left :)

ray-andallthatjazz86
#38re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 9:37pm

I hate all the great women I like for this role are too old to play it: Donna Murphy, Ruthie Henshall, Maria Friedman, and of course I'd pay whatever to see Bernadette Peters live as Dot/Marie. I still think Chenoweth would be good in this role, Sondheim first wrote the part of Dot as a soprano until Bernadette Peters was cast, he changed it to accomodate her voice (he did the same for Patinkin) so Chenoweth could sing the original version of the score. I know some people consider her a teenage attraction because of Wicked, but I think she could pull this off.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#39re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 9:41pm

i think roundabout should revive a sondheim musical every season... sunday in the park can be next year, if merrily we roll along is the year after that re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

and btw, i vote for audra

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

#40re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 11:54pm

It's probably Sondheim's greatest artistic achievement, but it has always been death at the box office. It's just so difficult to persuade your average punter that they want to see a show about a painting.

I think Patinkin could be improved on. His voice is somewhat cloying , and he sings falsetto half of the time. Peters was sublime.

I 'll certainly go see the London show.
Updated On: 10/14/05 at 11:54 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#41re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 12:03am

Most definitely. One of my favorite musicals.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

greatdct
#42re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 12:18am

One of my favorite shows of all time! Hopefully this will be revived some day.

Jon
#43re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 12:39am

Cerveris got very mixed reviews for his George in concert.

Raul Esparza was supposedly superb in D.C.

#44re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 12:45am

No, I don't think it's time.

Too many other great musicals, by creative talents equal to, if not more talented, that should be revived before adding yet another Sondheim to a season.

If there are revivals, time to start thinking out of the box.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#45re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 1:17am

I think this is one of Sondheim's brilliant, actually I'd have preferred a Sunday revival instead of Sweeney Todd-I love Sweeney but prefer Sunday. Sondheim defied so many conventions with this piece, the score is amazing, and with a good director, and perhaps if Lapine revises the libretto, this work could have a limited run at the Roundabout theatre. I understand it is not box office material unlike other Sondheim shows that are more appealing, but theatre is about art and entertainment intertwined and I think this show combines both.

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#46re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 1:20am

Ha I saw the video of this show and fell in love with Mandy. Then I realized that was his real voice. Still love the show and know it by heart, though.

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

#47re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 1:53am

RAUL was spectacular in in the DC production, as was miss Errico...it was brilliant, start to finish.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#48re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 2:35am

I'm with you Ray. As I'd pay to hear Audra sing the phonebook, I'd pay to watch Donna orally interpret it. Woman is a chameleon.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

angelic1 Profile Photo
angelic1
#49re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 2:41am

Oh, I loved the DC production so much. I wasn't a big fan of the staging, but I thought Raul and Melissa were great. Melissa did seem a bit out of place in some parts, but I'd listen to her sing the alphabet all day without complaining. Raul was fine in Act I, but he seemed more comfortable in Act II, perhaps because it was more in tune with his personality. At least in my opinion. Still, 'Finishing the Hat', and that mind-boggling beautifully sung ending...unbelievable. I had chills. Their voices shook the building...and not just because the mics were up too high. Mmm...love the show. I want to see this revived.

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead." -Tony Kushner's Angels in America

Videos