pixeltracker

Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#0Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 4:58pm

I certainly do. It's been two decades since that show opened, and all we have now is the DVD. I love the DVD myself, but I want to see it done live. On Bradway. Who agrees with me? They have had "Into the Woods," "Follies" "Company" now "Sweeney Todd," what about Sunday in the Park?

Opinions?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Family. It's all you really have.
-Sunday in the Park with George

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 4:59pm

not before south pacific...

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#2re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 4:59pm

London seems to. It's playing there in December.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:00pm

Yes yes yes. With the Washington Dc cast. Roundabout should do it. Melissa and Raul...Mmmmm...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:01pm

The rights to this show aren't released, are they? I never see it on season lineups of theatres.

I'm sorry, but I don't really like the show. Music is great, but it's slow moving.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#5re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:02pm

I'm still waiting for 'A Little Night Music.'

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

nomdeplume
#6re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

Yes!

Incredible show. The first act intellectual; the second spiritual.

But wow do you need voices to sing that Sondheim!

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#7re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

Oooo! I just busted a chub! The one show that always makes me cry when i hear it...people sometimes think Sondheim is cold and clinical, but this one tears out my heart--can you keep the tears back when you hear "Beautiful" or "Children and Art?" or the finale?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#8re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:04pm

I think the Roundabout will probably stage this in the next five years...

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#9re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:07pm

I'm all for a revival. I was lucky enough to do the tour of this show and will always love the sublime writing. I'm not for the DC cast, however. Ms. Errico is just to studied for the role. Not enough emotion. Great voice, but no warmth. And Esparza was good in the second act, but not the first.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Michael Bennett
#10re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:09pm

Melissa Erico was totally wrong for Dot in my opinion. There is not only nothing warm or earthy about her -- she actually looks like a model. A 20th century runway model. Not at all what Dot is about.

I would love to have seen Audra McDonald's take on the role at Ravinia. Toni Collette would probably be pretty tremendous as well.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:09pm

Wow - if it's loved by everyone, I must have missed something. Of course I have only seen the DVD, never listened to the CD and never saw it live.

I love "Sunday" and "Putting it Together" but the show was slooooww!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Chrysanthemum62001
#12re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:10pm

Oh, I think it's PAST time. Hmm, maybe it will be the next Sondheim Broadway revival. Ooo, ooo, ooo! Michael Cerveris could play George after his contract with Sweeney is up!

Hell, I'd love to see Raul Esparza in the role, too.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#13re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

Roundabout had better.

And yes, I know about London getting it. So jealous.

Glad a lot of people agree with me. I also start to tear up during, "Beautiful" "Children and Art" and the Finale. I don't cry, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Family. It's all you really have.
-Sunday in the Park with George

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel
Updated On: 10/14/05 at 05:10 PM

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#14re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?

Toni Collette would probably be pretty tremendous as well.

What a brilliant thought!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:14pm

By the time we see this on the Boards again the Olsen Twins will probably alternate in the part. It's just not a money-maker, so they'll probably cast some bankable names, per usual, and kill it.

But I'd love it, if it happened and was a decent production.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Michael Bennett
#16re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:16pm

Or maybe Donna Lynn Champlin? She's my new favorite. I bet she'd be terrific as well.

Jon
#17re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:32pm

The rights are available. Theate don't do it because

1: audiences don't like it.

2: it's a very difficult show to produce.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#18re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:36pm

If it's ever to happen in the near future, it would have to be from the non-profit Roundabout because, well, the show wouldn't make a profit.

C is for Company
#19re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:37pm

Hmm choices: Passion or sunday? Which of the 2 would give me more chills than a feverish frenzy :O

nomdeplume
#20re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:45pm

It is a complicated and tough show to produce.

There was a glorious production of it in Hawaii at Diamond Head Theatre some years ago. The fellow who was going to direct it, a lyrical opera tenor, ended up having to sing the role of George because they couldn't find anyone who could sing it. And the man who did direct it, John Rampage, a very experienced theatre fellow, confided to me that it was the hardest thing he had ever done in his life. I think it needs a very high level of artistic integrity and even very good community theatres couldn't reach that level to make it sensational for an audience. Certainly it's not in reach for high schools or even most universities. Perhaps small opera companies would be good venues.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:50pm

I think Donna Murphy would make a great Dot/Marie, actually. Is she too old for the role? Well, personally, I believe Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin should just reprise their roles! Why not? They're still fantastic actors and no one will play the roles like they did...actually, I'm only joking, but I'm sure Esparza or even Marc Kudisch would be great as Seurat/George.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

C is for Company
#22re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:54pm

harvey and rosie should just go right from fiddler and into practicing for this, theyd make a great george/dot pairing!

Michael Bennett
#23re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:57pm

Donna Murphy is too old. George is only supposed to be 24. I don't think Dot is supposed to be decades older then him...

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#24re: Who thinks it's time for a Sunday in the Park Revival?
Posted: 10/14/05 at 5:58pm

Donna Murphy is old enough to play George's Mother...

Videos