pixeltracker

What's the best song from "Sunset Blvd."???- Page 2

What's the best song from "Sunset Blvd."???

Sant
#25re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 9:32am

With One Look

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#26re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 10:54am

This show has more annoying recitative than any show I know of (other than Aspects of Love, of course).

That said, I think the best song in the show is As If We Never Said Goodbye (though the melody was recycled from Half a Moment), but With One Look and Sunset Boulevard are also pretty good.

This is definitely one show where a highlights disc is plenty for me, though of course I have two full recordings of the entire damn thing instead. da DAH da da da, DAH da da (repeat ad nauseum)

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Sant
#27re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 11:21am

"As If We Never Said Goodbye (though the melody was recycled from Half a Moment), "

Yes, the "I don't want to be alone, that's all in the past..." section uses the melody of "Countless vivid memories..." from Half A Moment - but that verse was cut from the song when the musical JEEVES was reworked to BY JEEVES. And as there is no OLCR of JEEVES from the 70s, the song is pretty much unknown in its original form. It has been recorded though, at least Sarah Brightman and Laurie Beechman have the song in their albums "Songs That Got Away" and "The Andrew Lloyd Webber Album", respectively.

Expressboy69
#28re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 11:34am

I am obsessed with the title song, it is so haunting! I LOVE IT!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#29re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 2:32pm

Sant -- that may be true, but the fact is that part of the melody WAS recycled. Webber should have left that section of Half a Moment buried. I can't listen to either without hearing the other song. Then again, I can't listen to Music of the Night without hearing Come to Me, Bend to Me from Brigadoon -- better to steal from yourself than from others.

(And I'm not REALLY a Webber hater, some of his stuff is fantastic, but things like this bother me).

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Up In Lost
#30re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 2:45pm

Wait, wait, wait. EMma Williams as in the Emma who was in Bat Boy? Was there a LEGAL DVD of this made?

And, I love Too Much In Love To Care with Judy Kuhn and Alan Cambell, but I haven't heard others, so... I mean, I've heard other songs, I love the whole show, but not other performers.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

jo
#31re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 8:59pm

Yes, Emma Williams as in CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG and BAT BOY.

There was a BBC-sponsored concert in Cork, Ireland of SUNSET BOULEVARD with Michael Ball, Petula Clark and Emma in the leads. It was broadcast and re-played on one of the BBC radio stations.

The duet of TOO MUCH IN LOVE TO CARE by Michael and Emma was gorgeous!

Theaterlover2 Profile Photo
Theaterlover2
#32re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 9:57pm

the title song

This is wanting something This is reaching for it This is wishing that a moment would arrive- LITP everybody goes down well with beer!-sweeney Todd Listen to the stories Hear it in the songs Angry men don't write the rules and guns don't right the wrongs!-Assassins

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#33re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/23/05 at 10:19pm

'As If We Never Said Goodbye'

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#34re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 12:58am

i like "eternal youth is worth a little suffering" and "surrender"

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

rockfenris2005
#35re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 1:45am

As if we Never Said Goodbye

And I'm also partial to Too Much in Love to Care

There wasn't a LOT of songs in this (more reprises LOL), so if I had to pick one of those: the last scene is the most frightening and aweing and chilling and send-shivers-down-your-spine I have EVER heard from a musical. And I mean the Norma version. I'd have LOVED to see that LIVE

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#36re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 6:11am

With One look
As if we never said goodbye
Sunset Boulevard
The Lady's Paying

The BBC concert would have been perfect if it weren't for Petula Clark croaking her way through the score. Emma Williams was fantastic as always re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'??? I agree that the last scene can be spine-chilling. In the UK tour there was a projection on a scrim and a filmed insert of Norma on the stairs was projected over the 'real' scene behind, zooming in on her eyes during her final lines

And there is an OLCR of Jeeves from the 70's, but as it flopped and was later re-worked, it's not widely available.

rockfenris2005
#37re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 6:56am

What? What brought up Jeeves in London '74?

I heard that it's worth about a thousand dollars on vinyl, or more, because of it's rarity. I've heard some of the songs from it, but have never been able to find the full album...

Also: anything related to the '74 show is really difficult to find: programmes, posters, scripts. I've been after those for ten years. No luck at all

But, yer. First time I heard Sunset Boulevard: at first I wasn't expecting much at all (because I'd heard a lot of bad stuff about it) but it blew me away. I really liked the melodrama and Norma's madness: especially when done by Glenn Close. I thought the Original london CD is one of the worst LOndon cast albums, besides Les Mis, ever to be made

I just thought that really stinks

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

billy elliot
#38re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:03am

Too Much In Love To Care

and i agree the Emma Williams-Michael Ball version is the best,i was lucky enough to see it in Cork and it was even better than it came over on the radio
Musicals Chat!!

"i can't really explain it"********************************************* "but he could be a star"******************************************* Be a BE*liever! Feel the Electricity

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#39re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:10am

i like "boy meets girl"
I think Sunset Blvd is underrated.
I am not a Lloyd Webber fan......except for JCS.
Sunset in my opinion is his second best show

Drought Down Under.

rockfenris2005
#40re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 7:35am

Oh,

I’ve read over the thread now. You’re talking about Lloyd Webber recycling his melodies. Well, when he’s not taking from others (as disparate as Puccini to Pink Floyd) he’s doing it himself…

It’s really funny to review it. Any Dream Will Do was a song that Lloyd Webber and Rice composed for Herman’s Hermits. It was called “I Fancy You” and, of course, it was never recorded and went into the drawers for a kids musical. “Kansas Morning”, a single for one of Rice’s clients in the 60s, became I Don’t Know how to Love him. Rice’s original lyrics included such lines as “I Love the Kansas Morning. Kansas on my Brain. I’m back in Maine…” which really surprised me: because you can see how a beautiful melody can be made or broken by its lyrics. I’m glad it became what it did.

King Herod’s Song was “Try it and See” in a Eurovision contest (and even used that title, in brackets, for the American release of the Superstar concept album). It was also “Saladin Days” in a musical that Rice and Lloyd Webber only produced once: Come Back Richard Your Country Needs You. The start of Potiphar, on the older Joseph albums, has the same music that appears in Superstar as “Why do you not speak when I hold your life in my hands…” in the Trial Before Pilate scene. “Give me my Colored Coat” is, like, from a horn solo in a lost Lloyd Webber single: which is really strange that he even remembers it: he has to turn around and put it in a kids musical LOL

“Sunset Boulevard,” the title song itself, is the most notorious one. It was originally on a Maynard Williams album, can’t remember the title, and it was both a theme in Lloyd Webber’s film scores of GUMSHOE and THE ODESSA FILE. Lloyd Webber claims he wrote it for Sunset all along, but that could be a lie to save his ass. A lot of JEEVES was resurrected over time: Unexpected Song was “Literary Men” in Jeeves (not on the album, and, I think, cut in the previews) and Half a Moment DOES lend itself to As if we Never Said Goodbye. I haven’t fully heard Jeeves, either version released, so I’m not sure what else has been used over time: but I do know that there’s a lot of THE LIKES OF US, which has always been the main source Andy’s been re-using for years and years.

There’s a stack of stuff in Evita that was on older albums, namely High Flying Adored (as “Down on the Farm” LOL, or an excised song from “Jeeves” – when Rice was lyricist) and Buenos Aires (“The Red Room” and the first Rice – Lloyd Webber single “Down Through Summer” – the bit with “and when I need a moment’s rest…” which is the entire “Summer” song). Apparently Another Suitcase is “Summer Day,” a lost song from Jeeves, but I’ve never heard it. And I don’t think many other people have either. “Don’t Cry for me Argentina” had a huge issue over its title, and was originally called “It’s Only Your Lover Returning” and (get this LOL) “All Through my Wild and my Mad Days…” THANKFULLY to become what it is today…

Memory is apparently from an opera about Puccini and Leoncavallo’s race to complete an opera they were both working on. Lloyd Webber played it in the CATS rehearsals and the rest is history. Song and Dance had a heap of stuff: but it’s too complicated and time-consuming to go into: but it’s nothing major anyway. Starlight Express, not sure. Never cared enough to find out. REQUIEM, not sure either…

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA: “THIS” is very interesting. Lloyd Webber and Nunn collaborated on an ASPECTS OF LOVE cabaret in 1983: which included a bulk of stuff which was too dark and gothic, and wound up in PHANTOM. The most namely is MARRIED MAN, which Sarah Brightman recorded with the London Philharmonic (about a woman who has an affair and sings a great song about it). Because it, ironically, was intended for release around Sarah 1 and Lloyd Webber’s break-up, it was advised never to be released. The tune became THE MUSIC OF THE NIGHT… and God knows if the original will ever be released. ALL I ASK OF YOU was “I Don’t Talk to Strangers,” a REALLY obvious RECYCLE: since it was on a Placido Domingo album! WITH LYRICS BY TIM RICE!

CRICKET was practically raided for the present ASPECTS OF LOVE, and HALF A MOMENT was recycled into one of its songs; which then went into SUNSET LOL. And I think Lloyd Webber used a lot of LIKES OF US and CRICKET in BEAUTIFUL GAME, but not in Whistle (that didn’t have a lot at all, except ENGLISH GIRLS from the American Song and Dance). It gets very convoluted to describe all this.

Lloyd Webber is CONSTANTLY recycling his own material, when he’s not pinching others (i.e. Pink Floyd’s Echoes, Puccini, Come to me Bend to Me). Jim Steinman is even worse; a lot of the stuff in Dance of the Vampires is from lost musicals over 30 years old: or successful albums he did that were never released in the States.

I always found it funny how a writer would get his face kicked in if he tried something like this, but a composer gets away with blue bloody murder

That’s my 2 cents at least.

Sant
#41re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:21am

STARLIGHT has a recycled melody in it too. Well, at least the final version had after the re-working of the show in the 90s. The melody "The Ballad Of Billy McCaw" which was cut from CATS (it was a part of the Growltiger's scene, it is still there in the OLCR of the show) before the Broadway opening, found its way into STARLIGHT as a duet "Next Time You Fall In Love" which is sung by Rusty and Pearl in ACT II.

And in SUNSET he uses the same melody 3 times: first it is "Surrender", then "The Lady's Paying" and finally "Eternal Youth...".

But still, I like the SUNSET score.

djjd007 Profile Photo
djjd007
#42re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:33am

While Betty's voice grates on me to no end, I found her strangely appealing in the role of Norma.

Listening to the cd put out for her appearance in the B'way production brings tears to my eye every time (from emotion - not splitting ear drums). Particularly her absolutely spooky renditions of "Surrender" and "New Ways To Dream"...

Unfortunately, I think the reason I find her so good in the role of Norma is that she is really just being herself, it isn't much of a stretch for her to be a faded drama queen. She is just *way* too emotional about that darned chimp - nobody can fake that kind of monkey love.

rockfenris2005
#43re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:43am

Naaaa. I'm pretty sure that Next Time is something else.
If it is Billy, I'm in shock. Why would he recycle something that obvious? It's a little rude...

Thanks for pointing out the Surrender one. In all of my time of listening to the musical I had never even noticed it was the same tune. Wow. But I sang it over and it IS :O

Just - wow!

I think the problem is, however: Sunset was, like, four melodies and then those melodies repeated ad nauseam. And yet Whistle was 500 melodies that weren't repeated enough!

I never cared enough to find out abot Beautiful Game, and I'm still having difficulty trying to get Woman in White now.

But I want it!

So... yeah...

*AND I've never heard or seen Betty Buckley in the role, but I want to*

Sant
#44re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 10:56am

"Next Time..." of STARLIGHT and "...Billy McCaw" of CATS are the same melody. It has been altered a bit (not much though) and the rhythm and tempo are a bit different. But it is the same melody. Just listen to the opening lines of these songs "Oh, how well I remember the old..." and "I guess I'm not too good at..." and then the parts "...And Billy'd strike up on his moly guitar" and "Next time you fall in love" and you'll see.

THE BEAUTIFUL GAME has a song which was first performed by Kiri Te Kanawa as "The Heart Is Slow To Learn" in ALW's 50th birthday gala performance which took place in the Royal Albert Hall in London. If you get your hands on the dvd of that gala performance you'll hear this wonderful version, which later was changed to "Our Kind Of Love" for THE BEAUTIFUL GAME. But since it has never been a part of any of his stage shows it is not really 'recycled'.
Updated On: 10/24/05 at 10:56 AM

rockfenris2005
#45re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:06am

The Heart is Slow to Learn WAS intended for a sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. Lloyd Webber says that when he introduces is, and there was a novel released by Frederick Forsyth (The Phantom of Manhattan) that Lloyd Webber was supposed to utilize for a musical telling

rockfenris2005
#46re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:08am

I think it's a song for Christine too

Good luck finding the novel. I think it's been out of print for years....

Sant
#47re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:09am

"The Heart Is Slow To Learn", performed by Kiri Te Kanawa, is also on the "Andrew Lloyd Webber, Now And Forever" 5-cd box which also features "Our Kind Of Love" on cd 3 in THE BEAUTIFUL GAME section.

rockfenris2005
#48re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:15am

I love that version. Is it the live one from the video on Now and Forever? Because I'd love a recording of that...

And I think Lloyd Webber did several demos of some other songs for Phantom 2 as well: but noidea wherethey are

I heard him say once, in an interview, that he was gonna do Phantom 2 as a movie: but god knows if that will ever happen:

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#49re: What's the best song from 'Sunset Blvd.'???
Posted: 10/24/05 at 11:27am

title song and never said goodbye

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Videos