pixeltracker

What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?- Page 2

What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#25re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:09pm

RAGTIME!!!!!

Oh, and good call on Caroline, Or Change. Especially since he already worked with Kushner on Munich.

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond

roquat
#26re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 4:41pm

CITY OF ANGELS. He and his team would be great at filling up the holes in the script and really creating a wonderful "look" for both the realistic 1940s Hollywood scenes and the stylized "film noir" scenes. And he would keep it light and comic and handle the transitions from one world to another seamlessly.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#27re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/30/05 at 5:39pm

Speilberg hell. I'd love to see Martin Scocesse do Ragtime.

augustine73 Profile Photo
augustine73
#28re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 7:31am

The heat is on.. its Miss Saigon!

rockfenris2005
#29re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 9:43am

Here's an obvious one:

Possibly the most profitable composer of the 20th century, and the most profitable director in Hollywood (I probably crucified myself saying that lol) working together on a movie:

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Steven Spielberg.

They actually came close. Steve was to direct an animated screen-version of CATS, with a screenplay by Tom Stoppard, giving a back-story to the proceedings. Music was scored, and a new song was written, but the project fell through at the eleventh hour.

Since Spielberg is (obviously) searching for musicals, we all know that - especially with Phantom's success to help him now - Lloyd Webber's being trying for a Hollywood career over twenty years. He's been tossing around shows like Aspects of Love, Sunset Boulevard, The Beautiful Game, Starlight Express, a remake of Jesus Christ Superstar, Whistle Down the Wind (originally intended to be a movie) and The Phantom of Manhattan: the continuation of the Phantom of the Opera

Surely Spielberg, an old friend of Webber, would take the hint and scare the pants off of every ileet snob in the universe, sending them running for the hills as their combined force takes over the world and breaks every box office record in the history of mankind LOL. What about Jurassic Park the Musical? Lloyd Webber could recycle VAULTS OF HEAVEN :p

O.K. I better shut up now...

LOL

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#30re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 9:53am

I'd love to see him take on Sunset BLVD.

I could also see him directing Ragtime or Wicked.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

The3DImaxOfMyMind
#31re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 12:13pm

I'd like to see The Sound of Music be re-made. It such a classic... and goes along with a family audience

I like Charlie Brown's hands... "It's like I'm being tied to the hood of a yellow rental truck, being packed in with fertilizer and fuel oil, pushed over a cliff by a suicidal Mickey Mouse."

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#32re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 12:32pm

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER. :)

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

#33re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 2:35pm

I think he'd make an amazing movie musical of WICKED.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#34re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 3:20pm

4. He believes in maintaining the integrity of the source material (SCHINDLER, EMPIRE OF THE SUN).

I don't think this is a consistent quality of Spielberg's. He famously wanted to Americanize HARRY POTTER by setting it in a private school in the north-eastern U.S., which is why J.K. Rowling refused to have him direct the first HP film.

I fear that a collaboration between Spielberg and Webber would bring out the worst of each of their approaches.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Plum
#35re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 3:44pm

I fear that a collaboration between Spielberg and Webber would bring out the worst of each of their approaches.

Damn straight. The tendency to over-the-top pop sentimentality? I'm imagining two giant waves meeting and turning into a tsunami of butterscotch syrup through constructive interference. *shudder*

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#36re: What Musical SHOULD Spielberg Adapt?
Posted: 12/31/05 at 4:38pm

Well, it looks like anyway, that Spielberg wont even direct MARY POPPINS. Apparently they are just BIG rumors...but who knows... as for what I see him directing, i would love to see him direct RAGTIME as well. That musical would do well as a movie!

Drtheatre

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

Videos