News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Sunset Blvd. "Scandal"?

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#25re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/23/06 at 11:03am

even better than Faye appearing on CSI, In TV Guide, they refer to her as a Norma Desmond type
ironic Updated On: 1/23/06 at 11:03 AM

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#26re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:58pm

glenn close is an overrated actress who cant sing. her performance as norma desmond was sheer embarrassment to the theatre and the musical theatre. she has very little range both as actress and singer. she lacked empathy and any real connection to norma desmond that was so desperately needed and was provided by betty and karen and even that tiny slip of a thing elaine. sorry doll glenn is overrated and should spare the rest of us coming back to broadway. the only good thing she does provide are jobs.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#27re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:38pm

Barbara...???? Barbara Walsh playing Norma???? I like her, but I don't think so! (lol)

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#28re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 2:10pm

wow zelda, you sound like patti herself. while i don't approve of the invective, i do think glenny is vastly over-rated and her career is a great mystery to me.

Mind is Mantra.

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#29re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 4:49pm

i doubt patti would be so kind. invective. wow...that theasaurus is coming in handy huh? just kidding. that is a great word.
better than saying bitch

#30re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 5:07pm

You people are harsh.

Did I already miss the CSI with Faye?

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#31re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 6:50pm

I'm sure Faye was great as Callas, I was working at the time and could not get to see her. I did see Zoe and Patti and enjoyed them very much. Love that show but the lead can either make it or break it. Someone said they were sending out Leslie Uggums as Callas and I was like "What the fuuh?"

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

FoscasBohemianDream
#32re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:37pm

Wasn't LuPone a little too young to play Norma Desmond anyway? Her version of "As If We Never Said Goodbye" is obviously beautiful and yet it lacks the emotion Glenn Close put into it. I saw Glenn when I was only a teenager and remember her having a great stage presence and she sang the role with emotions rather than technique which I think worked for this role. Also, is Norma Desmond supposed to be a great singer? I think this show has a problem in terms of score, I don't think Desmond should have any big belting songs because the score should reflect her state of second-rate diva. A composer like Sondheim would have known how to approach the role.
I saw Petula Clark on the national tour, she was the closest you can get to Gloria Swanson's Desmond and it worked beautifully on stage. She's my favorite Norma Desmond. I think LuPone must have looked too young to make Desmond believable, plus let's face it, the show had its own issues regardless of who they hired.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#33re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:46pm

FoscasBohemianDream - Sondheim attempted to do Sunset and either abandoned it or couldn't finish it or something like that. I know he was working on it in the late 70s/early 80s

As for Lloyd Webber - his score for Sunset is one of my favorites. The problem was LuPone (sorry Patti fans) - watching her onstage, clump around - no real stage presence, never really bought into her being Norma. Sure she has a great voice, and some of her takes on Sunset songs are great (namely I like her New Ways to Dream and The Perfect Year over the big arias) but acting wise, she didn't do it

Close was phenomenal, and from the minute she slowly descended that staircase she was captivating. As to Petula Clark,I'm in agreement with you - she was excellent and very effective in the role.

Betty Buckley remains my favorite though. An emotional, and beautiful performance. Truly brought an incredible heart to the show that Close didn't have. Very interesting change.

By the way - really loved Passion to

Jim

FoscasBohemianDream
#34re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:06pm

Jim, Sondheim indeed wanted to write a Sunset Blvd. musical, when he told this to Mr.Wilder (director/writer of the original movie)he was told that the only way he'd sell the rights is if the show was done as an opera because Ms.Desmond was a bethroned queen and Sondheim wasn't going to write it as an opera so he immediately quit the idea. I still wish he had done it because he would have found a perfect way to make Desmond work, plus he has dealt many times with madness in his shows and he can do it very well. Lloyd Webber ultimately fails, specially because it is obvious some of his songs are written to become hits and not to accomodate the character.
I'm glad you enjoyed Passion, it's my favorite show, and Donna Murphy made me cry every night I saw her.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#35re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:20pm

well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Sunset - one of my all time favorites.

But Passion and Donna Murphy in it was truly one of the most achingly beautiful performances. I love Maria Friedman in Woman in White, but she's not even near the park with her take on the role when you've seen and heard Donna Murphy

Jim

#36re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 8:39pm

captain_obvious - You didn't miss Faye Dunaway on CSI. It's on this Thursday the 26th at 9.

Jimmirae - Also saw Zoe Caldwell in MASTER CLASS. She was great. I also heard Dixie Carter was excellent. Wish I'd seen her.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#37re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 9:30pm

Patti and Glenn are basically the same age. Glenn is two years older than Patti.

(Thanx IBDB!)

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/25/06 at 09:30 PM

#38re: Sunset Blvd. 'Scandal'?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 9:43pm

Oh Zelda - Have you had your saucer of milk today?

Videos