pixeltracker

which candide cd to purchase?- Page 2

which candide cd to purchase?

Isabella2
#25re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:50pm

i like the 1997 version too. I just don't like how some of the lyrics are unecessarily changed.
I also don't like barbara cook's voice that much at all. She was too heavy to hit the high notes and was very slow in doing so. Her voice has annoying quality for me. I'd prefer Cheno anyday.

I actually have some of the recordings from the Cheno/Lupone version.
I have:
Glitter and be Gay
I am easily assimilated
Finale of act 1
We are Women
and Quiet

If any of you want these PM me and i'll figure out a way to send it to you.

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#26re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:54pm

I believe it's the Scottish National Opera recording, 2 discs, that you should have. I'm sorry that I don't know the dates of it but it's the last production in which Bernstein himself had any involvement.

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#27re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:56pm

children and art - i think you are referring to the Deutche Grammophone recording - conducted by Bernstein - with June Anderson and Jerry Hadley.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#28re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:58pm

yes thats it, jerry hadley was who i was trying to think of.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#29re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 4:06pm

"sorry, not to thread jack or anything but why is when doodle says he doesnt like barbara cook's voice there's not the same uproar and onslaught against him as there was against me saying i didn't like kristen chenowith's voice - surely barbara cook means more to people than cheno."

cause every post is not always about you children&art.....even though you seem to want them to be ;oP

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#30re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 4:28pm

I wish that they would make a cd of the concert, that cast was great. I have the obc and it's very satisfiable.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 5:32pm

I concur with the City Opera recording. The 1974 LP is definitely the most intriguing and most spirited recording (an a must-have for those reasons), but I tend to lean towards the recordings with the more lush orchestrations and better voices. A very nice compromise between the 1974 and the City Opera recordings, however, is the lesser known 1999 Royal National Theatre recording (Amazon mistakenly lists the release year as 1995) which is far more interesting than the 1997 Broadway revival.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#32re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/16/06 at 11:03am

that's so interesting phil crosby, because I always tend to think that Bernstein is one of the greatest conductors in recent history, and always knew how to bring the "energy" out of a score. I guess that only applies when he's working on other people's scores.

don't take this personal, cheno fans, but my ears bleed when she sings "glitter and be gay" on the concert. I like almost everything else about it, including her other songs, but to watch and listen to her is like having a cat gnaw on my ears.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#33re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/16/06 at 11:26am

"cause every post is not always about you children&art.....even though you seem to want them to be"

WHA? WhatchyoutalkinboutElphaba? You mean everything doesn't revolve around the magnificence of me???? Ow, harsh.

re: which candide cd to purchase?

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

crazyfangirl
#34re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/16/06 at 2:01pm

Barbara Harris is pretty good, and yes, a legend, but sometimes a lot of the "old school singers" tend to grate on my nerves. That's just personal preference. Maybe being in my 20's, I'm used to a certain type of song-styling.

I really enjoyed the recent concert, personally. I don't think CANDIDE really works as a full-out stage musical, so I was pleased with the orchestrations at the concert. (And on the DVD, it's just so fantastic to watch Marin Alsop conducting--she has such spirit!)

I don't have either CD--we recorded the radio broadcast, so I just tend to listen to the concert all the way through at work. Passes time, and is a lot of fun. :)

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#35re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/16/06 at 2:02pm

I think you mean Barbara Cook.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Videos