which candide cd to purchase?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#0which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:34am

I have the original, which I treasure, but didn't realize it was so truncated until I watched the dvd with Patti Lupone. what recording would you buy for the most complete recording? I don't really need the best performances, because Barbara Cook is really it for me, but I want one with most of Bernstein's glorious score intact.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

philcrosby
#1re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:38am

The CD with the greatest abundance of the CANDIDE score is the one conducted by Bernstein himself, but it's such a dreary, slow recording, it feels like all the life has been drained out of it. There are many fans of the Scottish Opera recording (though I am not one of them), but I prefer the New York City Opera recording.

My absolure favorite recording (except for Miss Cook, who is and always will be the one and only true Cunegonde) is from the 1974 Broadway revival. Sadly, though it is not yet available on CD -- I cherish my vinyl version!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:44am

i like the one with the earth on it.

MargoChanning
#3re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 11:44am

I also prefer the 1974 revival version, but of the recordings available on CD, I think the City Opera one with Erie Mills might be my favorite.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#4re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:23pm

what is your opinion of the recent Bway revival disc with Andrea Martin and Jim Dale?

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#5re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:24pm

Love you for saying that, Margo...Erie Mills is my favorite Cunegonde, and her "One Last Kiss" from the Follies concert is one of my favorite tracks ever. The 74 recording is my second fave.

I know it is sacriledge, but I dont like Barbara Cook's voice. I think she can be very pitchy.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#6re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:30pm

Oh American Idol...

I also prefer the 1989? City Opera version from the ones I have heard.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#7re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:34pm

doodle, that is sacrilege, and you are going to bww hell for saying that.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#8re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:43pm

yes, I know....It feels like AA or something when I state that..."I'm Doodle ("hi doodle"), and I dont like Barbara Cook's voice."

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#9re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:46pm

"welcome, doodle" (applause all around)

children&art
#10re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:47pm

sorry, not to thread jack or anything but why is when doodle says he doesnt like barbara cook's voice there's not the same uproar and onslaught against him as there was against me saying i didn't like kristen chenowith's voice - surely barbara cook means more to people than cheno.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#11re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 12:54pm

WHAT!!!!???? YOU DON'T LIKE CHENO. NEVER, EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN, AS A MATTER OF FACT, I DON'T THINK YOU DESERVE TO EVER BE ON THIS BOARD AGAIN!!!!!

is that what you were looking for, Art? re: which candide cd to purchase?

seriously, I think it is because half of the people on these boards have no idea who Barbara Cook is, or was. but they ALL know who Kristen Chenowith is. and yes, it is annoying.

I would take a sickly Barbara Cook over Cheno in her prime, anyday.

Jazzysuite82
#12re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:04pm

No actually it's because you were rude and were talking about her as a person. You were mean spirited and rather childish. This was stated on the thread you started SEVERAL times children and Art. You didn't say I don't like Kristin. you said she's a little pipsqueak who has no talent and is too short to live. No those weren't the exact words but it was something to that effect. Use the search for the exact phrasing. THAT'S why.

VIETgrlTerifa
#13re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:09pm

That may be true, but Chenoweth also gets a lot more criticism and rolled eyes on this board than Barbara Cook does, so it goes both ways.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#14re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:23pm

Sorry, Pippin...guess I threadjacked here.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#15re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:25pm

hey, that's ok, I always love when threads take unexpected turns. keeps it interesting.

children&art
#16re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:44pm

but seriously, in the scope of things when we learn about the history of theatre, more specifically about Broadway whose name will be more prominent - Barbara Cook or Kristen Chenowith? Come on! Barbara Cook is one of the few living legends we have, in my opinion Chenowith has yet to prove herself worthy of "legend" status.

Anne_here Profile Photo
Anne_here
#17re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:52pm

I thought it was Chenoweth, not Chenowith. And Children&Art is always calling others "illiterate one's".

Back to the question on hand. Erie Mills is amazing in the The New York City opera CD. But, maybe now that Sony/BMG has merged we will see a release of the 1974 Revival on CD.

Jazzysuite82
#18re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:53pm

well at 38, Barbara wasn't quite a legend yet either. I think kristin will become a legend. we'll have to see her in 40 years to know.

PS. I say stay away from the 1997 revival. I would LOVE it if it weren't for Harolyn Blackwell, who ruined it for me. I love generally everyone else in that recording. M. Blackwell just isn't actress enough to pull this off.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#19re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:56pm

Jazzy, I agree...the 97 recording is fine and worth having...but Harolyn didnt do it for me either. I love her Green Finch on the Sondheim tribute tho...but not an actress.

Hester Prynne Profile Photo
Hester Prynne
#20re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:09pm

Thanks Anne. I was the one he called an illiterate one. This is coming from someone who has this on his friendster profile:
"Schools:
Newman Smith H S, Southwestern University - University of North Texas - Newman Smtih"

I always thought it was Newman Smith, not Smtih myself.

And I completely agree with Jazzysuite82

MassOfMen on 5/17/07: "and lastly, I have no vested interest in LB. I have seen the show, I paid my money (a lot of money for that tix) I didn't watch it on a bootleg, yes I saw the flesh and bone of the people up there working their tails off. But do I really have to explain myself to you? are you the judge jury and executioner of Bwyworld.com message board? no. But I digress, I will leave this subject as I am bored of the rebuttals anyway, and go back to "wasting my time" with the job of building buildings. We have chat boards for architects as well, ya know."

Anne_here Profile Photo
Anne_here
#21re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:15pm

Not a problem. He just sent me a PM. I didn't even open it, just deleted it and then blocked him.

I also adored Harolyn Blackwell on the Sondheim CD, but you all are right, an actress she is not.

I wish the Chenoweth/LuPone version would make it on CD.

children&art
#22re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:16pm

yawn!

back to "Candide" - i remember in high school getting a CD from the library that had a bright red cover, a spinning globe, and a man's hand on it. it was the first time i'd ever heard this score and these lyrics and i loved it, thought it smartly dirty and really close to the book. anyone know which version this is?

Updated On: 3/15/06 at 02:16 PM

AuditioningWaitress
#23re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:29pm

I've often wondered if there is a problem with the rights of the 1974 Broadway Revival version...It seems it would have been one of the reissues that RCA did a few years back, most which are now sadly out of print. They reissued almost everything else Sondheim was involved in...Maybe frontrowcentre knows...

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#24re: which candide cd to purchase?
Posted: 3/15/06 at 2:46pm

C&A, that is what was called the Bernstein Recording...1989.

Videos