pixeltracker

Broadway replacements landing the film version...- Page 2

Broadway replacements landing the film version...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/12/06 at 9:54pm

Eww, so wait... She played his DAUGHTER in the movie, and then his WIFE on the road??

Freaky.

That's kind of a Carol and Greg Brady thing.

"Incest on the Roof!"

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#26re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:12am

Now what are the traditions in that?

Wait. I don't want to know.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#27re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:19am

Well, Topol was only 35 when he played Tevye in the movie. He was actually less than ten years older than Rosalind Harris, so it was technically more "appropriate" for her to play his wife than his daugther... Updated On: 9/13/06 at 03:19 AM

kootness Profile Photo
kootness
#28re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:46am

hahahahaha

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#29re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 4:59am

Some others: Jack Soo moved up from the role of Frankie Wing to that of Sammy Fong during the original Flower Drum Song run and then played Sammy in the movie.

James Stewart played Elwood P. Dowd for a time during the original Broadway run of Harvey. Perhaps he had already signed to do the movie and was playing it on Broadway as preparation. Related to that: In the summer of 1980, Richard Dreyfuss played Who's Life Is It, Anyway? at Williamstown in preparation for the film. The production was directed by John Badham, who directed the film.

As Michael Bennett mentioned, several replacements in West Side Story were in the film, though not always in the same parts. For example, Elliot Feld was a replacement Baby John and did play that role in the movie, Tucker Smith was a replacement Big Deal before playing Ice in the movie, and Harvey Evans was a replacement Gee-Tar before playing Mouthpiece in the movie. There were others.

Terry Saunders was a replacement Lady Thiang in The King and I and then did the movie.

Lee Allen was a replacement Eddie in Funny Girl and then did the film.

Betty Bruce was the replacement and national tour Tessie Tura before playing the role in the Gypsy movie.

Lee Grant had toured in Plaza Suite before becoming one of the three women (including Broadway original Maureen Stapleton) to play opposite Walter Matthau in the film.

Ray Walston had toured as Luther Billis and played it in London before doing the South Pacific film. (Of course, Myron McCormick played the entire Broadway run.)

I think Jesse Pearson had toured as Birdie before making the film.

Btw, Danny Lockin was a tour Barnaby in Dolly, did the film, and after that joined the Broadway production.

And some other London cast members who went on to the film versions:

Paula Kelly was the London Helene in Sweet Charity. And (a little different) Chita had been a national tour Charity before playing Nickie in the movie,

Leon Greene was the London Miles Gloriosus and then played it in the film of Forum.

Ralph Richardson had played James Tyrone in London before making the film of Long Day's Journey.

And then there are odd things like James Coco having been a replacement Barber in Man of La Mancha and then playing Sancho in the film, and Audrey Christie having been a replacement Vera in Mame and then playing Mrs. Upson in the film.

Btw, I think that Irene Dunne first played Magnolia on Broadway, replacing Norma Terris.

Updated On: 9/13/06 at 04:59 AM

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#30re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 6:00am

And don't forget Billie Hayes, Charlotte Rae's replacement on Broadway, as Mammy Yokum in LI'L ABNER.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#31re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 6:49am

That's a good one. I forgot about that. I'm sure there are others, especially in plays.

In fact, I just thought of one more as I was typing: Rick Lenz as Igor in Cactus Flower.

kenmarksnj Profile Photo
kenmarksnj
#32re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 7:12am

a few of the nicest kids in town in the hairspray movie were replacements in the broadway cast.

and a few of the replacement dynamites are doing the dynamite voices in the movie version.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#33re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 7:13am

Oh Twelvy - if you only knew...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

daredevil
#34re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 1:10pm

Just to continue on the West Side Story thread:

Jose de Vega was Chino in the return Broadway cast and Chino in the movie. Syvia Tysick was Anybodys in the London production (the same production in which George Chakiris played Riff) and repeated the role in the movie.

Irony: Tucker Smith (Ice in the movie) actually joined the OBC cast about a year into its run as Diesel (who became Ice in the movie) then later moved into Big Deal. During his year in the play, he always understudied Riff, and played the role many times. Yet for some reason he was never promoted to Riff on a permanent basis. In the movie, with the places of "Cool" and "Krupke" reversed, he gets to sing Cool, the number that he wasn't considered "good enough" to do on a full time basis in the play.

Also, Leonard Frey originated the role of Mendel, the rabbi's son in Fiddler, then moved up to Motel.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#35re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 1:18pm

These are great!

Some of them I knew, but MANY I didn't!

Quite a list.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#36re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 1:28pm

Eww, so wait... She played his DAUGHTER in the movie, and then his WIFE on the road??

Freaky.

"Incest on the Roof!"

That happens in Phantom a lot. re: Broadway replacements landing the film version... Think of all the Christines/Phantoms who were also Cosettes/Valjeans. There are several.

Back on topic, Aileen Quinn was a 4th national tour swing orphan who became the first film Annie.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ThereIs1Director
#37re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 1:28pm

obiviously some of you people have way too much time on your hands.

CJR
#38re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 2:25pm

Vicki Frederick played Cassie on Broadway and Sheila in the movie of ACL

Off the top of my head, Gregory Mitchell, Deidre Goodwin, Denise Faye and Roxane Barlow were in Chicago on Broadway and landed in the movie.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Jon
#39re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:32pm

You wanna talk incest? Dick Van Patten and his sister Joyce played Cap'n Andy and Parthy in the SHOWBOAT tour.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40re: Broadway replacements landing the film version...
Posted: 9/13/06 at 3:38pm

Kinky.

Videos