#25What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:51pm

Shine, Deena, Shine.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:52pm

And I don't think Ms Ross is having a issue with anything. As a matter of fact.. I will bet you anything she will hit the talk show route shortly after the ( hopeful) success of the movie. She has a new mini tour to promote.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#27What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:52pm

And I don't think Ms Ross is having a issue with anything. As a matter of fact.. I will bet you anything she will hit the talk show route shortly after the ( hopeful) success of the movie. She has a new mini tour to promote.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#28What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:58pm

You already said that.

MY TWO CENTS: I don't know very much about DREAMGIRLS, but I think it's very unoriginal, in my opinion. To me, it doesn't come off as a tribute. A parody more like, as someone posted earlier.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 12:58 PM

Kringas
#29What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:01pm

What do you find it derivative of?

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#30What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:01pm

It isnt meant to be a tribute.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Kringas
#31What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:04pm

In what way do you find it parodic?

#32What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:06pm

Mama said I am special...

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#33What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:13pm

Mama lied!
:)

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#34What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 1:50pm

soooo.... you don't know anything about it, but you think it's unoriginal. you know what else is unoriginal- posters bashing something that they know nothing about.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 01:50 PM

StageManager2
#35What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:08pm

Let me clarify. I meant the faux album cover art (used in the film) was unoriginal, not the show itself. All I'm saying is, they could've created their own for the movie, not copy an existing one.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#36What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:15pm

my bad, manager. I was being over-protective of the Glory that is Dreamgirls. no offence intended. What ARE you talking about? !

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

StageManager2
#37What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:19pm

No offense taken.

I've not been exposed to this musical yet, so I'm really looking forward to this film. I guess you could say I'm a DREAMGIRLS virgin.

One problem: Should I make myself familiar with the music before I watch the movie, or should I wait and be surprised? (Hopefully, pleasantly surprised.)

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#38What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:23pm

you can wait. the music is so accessible that you won't have a problem not knowing what is going on. also, since there will be modern day riffs which, I'm sure will make some of the die-hards upset, I would wait and make the movie you first Dreamgirls experience.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#39What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:43pm

...and then run and buy the original cast album and the 2001 Concert!

RUN!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#40What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:44pm

There are no 'modern day' riffs in any of the singing. The songs are performed in their original form. Even Beyonce' had to 'learn' to sing in that bland Deena style. She also said she had to learn to emulate those 60's female vocalist's mannerisms, from just simple walking to their 'almost no movement' performing stle. Completely different from HER style of performing, both in singing and dancing.

Everyone in the film went thru a so-called DREAMGIRLS boot camp, whereas they learned the performing style of that period (early 60's thru the mid-1970's). Alot of research was put into the film, so it's reflected in every aspect.

Updated On: 10/24/06 at 02:44 PM

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#41What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:46pm

ummmm... I still think I heard a few "Beyonceisms" in the preview.

#42What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:52pm

You can hear them in "Listen"

BrodyFosse123
#43What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:54pm

Only in the "Listen" song (which takes place in the mid-1970's right before the end of the film) is she heard 'riffing'. There is good reason for it as it's the first-time Deena is heard singing in her own voice/style and not in the 'pop' Deena-style Curtis has been forcing her to use. The song has several meanings to it.

Updated On: 10/24/06 at 02:54 PM

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#44What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 2:56pm

You can hear those riffs in every song she sings in the film.

The one i didnt understand was in "It's All Over" when singing the line "It was you alway thinking of youuuuu always thinking of youuuu"

BrodyFosse123
#45What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:00pm

I agree with those 'riffs' in "It's All Over", but Loretta Devine was all riffs with her Lorrell in the original, as was Jennifer Holliday with her Effie.

Soulful riffs are a norm for this type of musical, even in a Broadway musical, so DREAMGIRLS, both the original Broadway production and the film are loaded with them.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:11pm

First of all, who the f*ck cares if she "riffs?"

It wasn't invented in 1999. It goes back a LONG way. Remember Aretha? And umpteen million disco ladies. And I hope Beyonce takes full advantage of it on her pop songs in the movie. Why the hell not?

Deena is NOT an "innocent" in the film. And thank GOD, because it would be pretty BORING if she was. Beyonce has said that she approached it with a bit of the devil in her. Deena seizes the opportunities presented to her... including Curtis... and including the lead spot in the group.

This is different than the stage show, but certainly a viable (and probably better dramatically) interpretation of Deena's road to success.

EDIT: Oh, and some of the album art that is circulating around on the Internet and on the boards IS "fan art." It's not all from the film. So take a look around first, and then make your call. You obviously haven't seen all the stuff being posted. And some of it is pretty CRAPPY, by the way.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 10:11 PM

BrodyFosse123
#47What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:55pm

What ARE you talking about? !

Thanks for the heads-up, best12bars...but I'll leave the honors to you regarding checking-out the 'fan art' crap that's floating around on the internet. I'll just keep myself simple and stay with the material that Dreamworks and Paramount Pictures is spoon feeding me instead of wasting my time scouring the internet for pointless 'crap'. Seems you've had the time to do so, so no need for me to try to emulate your masterful work. I wouldn't fathom that idea one second.

Thanks again...and as always -- enjoy the pies. Especially the blueberry ones.

What ARE you talking about? !

PS: back to watching the screener DVD of the movie.

BrodyFosse123
#48...
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:55pm

Updated On: 10/24/06 at 11:55 PM

#49...
Posted: 10/25/06 at 5:54am

Hey all,

Actually Deena sings in her "own" voice in "It's All Over" too, not just "Listen." So going by that argument, she is allowed to riff on "you-u-u-u."

But actually I noticed something interesting, on the website now when it plays a clip of the title song, Beyonce is NOT riffing at all basically, compared to her very modern vocals on the Tony Awards commercial. It seems clear that several versions of songs were recorded here...maybe for the commerical they showed something that is more exciting to today's audience, but in the movie they will first sing the song sans riffing...?

Videos