DREAMGIRLS - A Parody?

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#0DREAMGIRLS - A Parody?
Posted: 10/23/06 at 10:31pm

Everyone knows The Supremes were the inspiration for the show but at least the Original Broadway production kept some originality by making The Dreamettes from Chicago and not overplaying the similarities.

This new movie is a completely different animal. The Dreams are now from Detroit and if you go over to the movie's websites you will be able to view different LP that were directly lifted from original Supremes record albums. Initially I thought Dreamworks and Paramount borrowed design elements for just two LPs in the movie but it seems that they have blatantly used about a half dozen original Supremes albums for the movie. They didn't even have the decency to change album titles or tracklisting. How.."original". This is coming off as some sort of bad parody. The Supremes really existed and it seems a slap in the face to their legacy.

That Universal/Motown actually gave permission for this is disturbing. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but I just feel they shouldn't have so blatantly done this.

silent
#1re: DREAMGIRLS - A Parody?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 4:22am

The danger in this is that people who don't know the Supremes backstory may go into it thinking this is the true story of Ross and the Supremes, leading to even more hatred directed towards Ross. Diana may have been cunning in her determination to reach the top but she isn't as bad as the press makes her out to be. After all these years, she's still blamed for Flo Ballad's downfall when she did try to help her before her death.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#2re: DREAMGIRLS - A Parody?
Posted: 10/24/06 at 6:04am

I think they crossed the line doing it this way. It's too blatant...If Ross had issues with DREAMGIRLS the show she's definitely going to have issues with the film version when she gets a load of all her LP covers redone with Beyonce's face.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:31am

What ARE you talking about? !

Woof! What ARE you talking about? !

BrodyFosse123
#4What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:32am

Dame Fanadette Profile Photo
Dame Fanadette
#5What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:38am

Where are you getting the pictures of the moives' LPs? I looked on the site and could not find them.

DF loves the little children, all the children of the world black and yellow, gay or straight, they are perfect in her light DF loves all the children of the world-Dame Fanadette

BrodyFosse123
#6What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:39am

Casey3
#7What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:41am

I actually think this is a smart move. By being so blatant about it, the filmmakers are encouraging audiences to NOT take the whole Supremes similarity thing seriously. With the stage show, most people criticized the creators because there was a perception that by not being direct (Chicago instead of Detroit, etc.) the filmmakers were covering up the fact that they were REALLY talkin' about the Supremes. With the film, I believe Condon is using the images and factoids about the Supremes as like an injoke for those who know better. Sure there are parts of the Supremes legend used for the girls, but THE ENTIRE DG story is not based on that. In fact, I think by being so literal with everything from Jimmy being a send-up of James Brown and Little Richard to Teddy Campbell being a send-up of little Micheal Jackson, that Condon is shifting the focus from the Supreme-related rumors to the Motown-focused homage. I know no one's gonna agree with me, but I just had to put my two cents in.

jwsel
#8What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:42am

If you click on "Meet the Dreams" and then, under "Players," click Deena Jones and hit "continue" on her screen, you will reach a screen that has the albums in the background. You can download each album cover as a wallpaper.

As for the similarities, there are some rumors that Diana Ross has, through her relationships with some of the movie principals, reconciled with the concept of Dreamgirls. It is possible that she has come to terms with it and, therefore, the more closer analogs to her life are being done with some form of consent.

One other thought. Whoever holds the album rights to the Supremes -- almost definitely not Diana Ross -- may have been perfectly happy to license the direct use of the Supremes covers. That will only help in marketing the Supremes albums after the movie. Updated On: 10/24/06 at 10:42 AM

Kringas
#9What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:52am

I agree with you, Casey. I've been on other sites where people try to claim up and down that the originally story doesn't have its base in the Supremes lore, which I think is just completely disingenuous.

I do understand what you're saying, though, Marquise, and while I wouldn't say you're making a mountain out of a molehill, I'd hope that you'll be able to not let this bug you so much and detract from you're enjoyment of the movie. I know how much you've been looking forward to it, my brother in Dreamgirls-love, and I'd hate for you to already be soured on it.

As for the album covers, I wonder how prominent they'll be in the actual film. That may be why most of the text wasn't changed on them, because maybe they're just going to be quickly flashed on the screen.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#10What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 10:56am

I see this more as paying tribute to both the Supremes and the era in which they lived and thrived.

There is no doubt when looking at these images that this is DEENA and the DREAMS. It says so very clearly. And if you're worried about audiences thinking this is the "real Diana Ross Story," I wouldn't get upset. They might ask, "well why don't they call her Diana Ross?"

The answer is simple. She is NOT Diana Ross. She is Deena Jones.

The fact that they have emulated the Supremes and their story is nothing new to Dreamgirls. And everyone connected with it will tell you... this is fiction.

I'm really hoping that Diana, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong will take advantage of this. There will doubtlessly be a renewed interest in them and their careers when the film opens. Hell, Mary Wilson even went so far as to title her autobiography "Dream Girl."

They all know exactly what they're doing.

But if Diana chooses to turn her back on this fictional story "inspired" by her own, she's really missing a golden opportunity. She should capitalize on it, taking it exactly for what it is. "No, it's not my life story, but while you're asking me, why not buy my greatest hits CD... or look at this stunning new coffee table picture book on the life and times of the Supremes?" (Note to publishers: Why the hell isn't there one? And now's the time!)

That's how it should be dealt with. Take advantage of the moment!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:09am

One other comment here...

These album covers are owned by the record label(s). If they are legitimately featured in the movie, as we know some of them are... they have been licensed for use. You can't steal "key art" like that without permission and probably a fee.

I also know that some of these Supremes covers, posters, etc. are Photoshopped "fan art." That's different and done out of love, but not through proper clearances.

But if it shows up in the movie... it's been cleared through a legal department.

Make no mistake about that.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 11:09 AM

BrodyFosse123
#12What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:16am

These are not photoshopped 'fan art'. These are legitimate album/LP props from the actual Dreamworks/Paramount Pictures film. All the photos of Beyonce' and the girls were taken for these album recreations -- they are not photoshopped and superimposed over The Supremes original photos. You can clearly see that they are wearing 'inspired' costumes which are completely different from the original ones used by The Supremes.

These albums/LPs recreations are seen/flashed in a career montage midway in the film.

Hope this helped clear-up some confusion.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#13What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:34am

I'm not understanding how the film would show Diana Ross in a poor light. Even those who compare Deena with Diana can see that Deena didnt do anything to Effie.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Kringas
#14What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:35am

Except took her man and stood by while Effie was pushed out of the group. :)

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#15What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:47am

She was acting like and ahole, and she didnt know curtis was being the jackoff he was being.

The character of Deena is not a villain, but was manipulated by Curtis like Effie was.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

Kringas
#16What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:49am

I agree that Deena's not a villian, and I agree that Effie was exhibiting a-hole behavior, but I don't think Deena's hands were completely clean in the situation.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#17What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:02pm

Let's say that I never left the theater the many times I've seen the show thinking, "that deena is a jerk!"

Kringas
#18What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:04pm

Heh. Well, that's good. Did you leave the theatre thinking that about Effie?

And just so we're clear, I love the character of Deena. If I was a black woman, I'd want to play her over Effie.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#19What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:33pm

I am Deena, really.

Sheryl Lee Ralphs entrance into the dressing room is one of my favorites.

I think the point is that all three women get taken advantage of by the men in the piece...there's something to sympathize with each of the ladies...not so the men.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#20What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:37pm

Well, I think the producers of the film probably want you think that this is a thinly guised portrait of the Supremes. And in a lot of ways thats what the film script is. I personally see nothing wrong with it.

Kringas
#21What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:38pm

I'll defer to you on Deena. Or perhaps you can be East Coast Deena and I'll be midwest Deena.

I'd definitely agree with you about the women. I find Jimmy and CC to be sympathetic charcters, though. Not so much Curtis. That's got to be a hard role to play.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#22What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:43pm

I have to agree, the Dreamboys are tough characters to act, imo.

I only meant "I am Deena" in the sense that I make the "Deena glares at Effie" face ALL the time.

Kringas
#23What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:48pm

Ah, okay.

I saw a production in St Louis over the summer that was just terrible. The women were uniformly rotten and were completely outshone by the men. It was a damn shame. The guy who played Jimmy was the best one in the show, which is a huge problem for this show.

#24What ARE you talking about? !
Posted: 10/24/06 at 12:49pm

Excuse me...I am Deena!

Videos