Gloria Swanson and "Sunset Boulevard"- Page 2

Gloria Swanson and "Sunset Boulevard"

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#25re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 2:48pm

"Is there a musical version of the movie?"

NO. Never has been. Ever.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Ed_Mottershead
#26re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 2:53pm

There was a special about Sunset Bouelvard around the time that the ALW piece opened -- it included an excerpt from the projected musical version that Gloria Swanson was hawking during the 1950s. Needless, it was TOTALLY different in tone and approach than the ALW version -- I'm glad that this is surfacing again. I'll be first in line to get it.

BroadwayEd

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#27re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 2:56pm

Its funny this should come up because I bought the Patti LuPone version about 6 months ago but never actually listened to it. Then on my way home on a 8 hour drive I listened to it and just fell in love with it. Believe I am a Sondheim freak so loving something of ALW was shocking haha. But I think its my favorite score of his. I know most people on here hate him but I think some of his stuff is good if not exceptional.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#28re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 3:00pm

Close is completely definitive in the role.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

PUPPETMAN
#29re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 4:03pm

Gloria Swanson wrote a musical version of SUNSET and the text is in the companion book of the show. She wanted to star in it on Broadway. Interesting take on the film in her version.

This sort of echos Norma writing a script to star in.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#30re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:00pm

"may not be composed of such beautiful camera shots but its alright."

Wait, I am still shocked that this is a quote from someone who just watched Billy Wilder's sunset boulevard! John F. Seitz was an outstanding cinematographer! The editing was flawless! I just dont understand what you think beautiful film making is?

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#31re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:18pm

Sarcasm, my dear, sarcasm.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#32re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 7:26pm

nitsua, i dont think the first post was sarcasm.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#33re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 8:06pm

"Close is completely definitive in the role"

She couldn't sing it to save her life.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#34re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/27/08 at 9:52pm

I've seen quite a few Normas...........Glenn in LA & NYC, Betty Buckley in NYC, Elaine in NYC & London and Patti in London. And, the National Tour with Linda Balgord and Petula Clark. Each one was competely different.

I'd have to say that the best was Betty B & Elaine P.

sparkleplenty
#35re: Gloria Swanson and 'Sunset Boulevard'
Posted: 2/28/08 at 4:10pm

I wish Angela Lansbury had gotten the chance to do this as was once proposed with Sondheim, Harold Prince involved. Lansbury would have been perfect.

Videos