pixeltracker

When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in "Jersey Boys?"- Page 2

When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in "Jersey Boys?"

JB Fan
#25re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 11:01am

The fact that they still publicize him doing 8 shows a week, is their choice. Has it changed the sales at the box office? No, so I guess they are doing what works.

He did 8 shows a week pretty much through the end of June, I know he did every show the week after the Tonys as well, so you shouldn't assume that was why...

He had a mini-vacation in late June-July, and then after that, he started getting sick. July and August were bad for him, and he was in and out due to sickness, which he admits and said in his blog.

Since his return in October, he has done 6 shows a week, consistantly. He is following his contract.

edited, Broadwayguy, I meant to say 8.

However, initially in this thread YOU said "however, to this day, john, his producers, and his vocal coach tell the OFFICIAL publications and trade papers that John is contracted and committed to eight shows per week when everyone knows better."

I explained later that was changed after the press you were discussing was printed...John is very open about his 6 show schedule. Updated On: 12/22/06 at 11:01 AM

broadwayguy2
#26re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 11:28am

they publicize him doing EIGHT.. not SIX as you just said.

As they case may be, it's crap, a blatant lie, and an insult to the understudies.

JB Fan
#27re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 11:37am

Why is it an insult to the understudies? I do not understand this? They have agents. They renegotiated their contracts, and they are still at the theatre. They are doing their jobs. If it pisses them off, they should go to the producers. Seems to me that they have a great job, getting to do the lead in a hit show week after week, and they are announced as the role when they go on.

I find your comments upsetting. A young actor should be happy with a great opportunity in a Broadway show.

Updated On: 12/22/06 at 11:37 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#28re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 11:49am

JB Fan, regardless of whether it is in Young's contract or not, it is not fair to the public for him to not do matinee's and have it go un-announced. Is this his fault? No, it's the producers, but that doesn't make it any less right. People that get tickets to the matinee's should know that they won't be seeing the Tony award winner if it is in the official schedule that he isn't performing.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

JB Fan
#29re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:07pm

I agree. However, it isn't hurting ticket sales...but, you are correct, the audience should be told. Maybe something will change soon...the producers may not be doing this intentionally.

TimeSuckage
#30re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:14pm

If you have a problem with the way that the producers are advertising the show, take it up with them. But to diss the actor? That's absurd. In many Bway and sanctioned tour productions of Phantom and Evita the roles of Christine and Eva are shared by two people - one for evenings and one for matinees. This is not new and the fact that Frankie is now a shared role should indicate to people exactly how difficult it is to sing.

To date, JLY is the only actor who has been able to sing Frankie on a regular schedule for any length of time. We all know what happened to David Norona. A friend saw Michael Longoria last week and said he was ragged in the upper register (I love how people were singing Michael's praises over JLY before Michael was performing the role regularly. Clearly the strain starts to show on everyone over time). Time will tell for the tour Frankie - I wish him lots of luck.

JLY has been successful for two reasons: he has the physiological gift of a voice like the real Frankie's, and he has the extraordinary dedication to work his ass off to keep his voice in shape. Everything he does offstage he does with an eye toward "How will this keep me going?" and "Will this adversely affect my performance?" And it looks like that is what it takes to do Frankie and stay vocally in gear. I'm sure people who have played Christine or Eva will say something similar about their experience - that they have to make a lot of sacrifices to sing the role right. Even the OBC Rent cast said similiar stuff - because many of them were not "trained" they had to learn how to respect their instruments during the day so they could belt it out at night.

Pardon the rant, but I just hate to see someone work so hard and not get the respect they deserve. Everyone has their opinions about who they like as Frankie, but to slam JLY on his attendance schedule is ludicrous, because the simple facts refute that so easily.

broadwayguy2
#31re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:33pm

Time, as far as Michael Longoria goes, if you had to sing two roles in the show... grated, Joe isn't a heavy role, but he sings MUCH more than you think.. your voice would be hurting to. At this point, he is teh one carrying the show.

JB Fan, once again, it is STILL being publicized in OFFICIAL outlets that h does 8. he may say 6 to fans at the stage door, etc, but when it comes to interviews and press releases, they ALL claim he does 8. And he doesn't.

The understudies can't do much because they are under contract as understudies, not alternates.

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#32re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 12:47pm

I find it annoying how they keep their end dates so secretive. The correct answer is that he'll leave when and if he gets a job.

JB Fan
#33re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:26pm

Broadwayguy2, where is JLY publically stating himself that he is doing 8 shows?

Not saying you are wrong...just wondering...

Bree, your post is confusing...first you say " I don't understand why he is keeping his final date so secretive". "then you say, he will leave if and when he gets another job"

As if YOU know the final answer...which you don't really know, do you?

I think "secretive" is a bad word...when the real answer here is "it has yet to be determined".

and, broadwayguy2...He is the one carrying the show? uh. he isn't . He does the show 8 times a week...sometimes, he has called out as well...moreso, he is not singing Frankie itself 8 shows a week, he only doubles on some songs...not all of them...so to credit him with carrying the show is over the top...
Updated On: 12/22/06 at 01:26 PM

broadwayguy2
#34re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:30pm

Longoria INCREASINGLY sings more for JLY.

I don't have articles in fronmt of me, but every time I open a trade paper, there is something about JLY, his vocal coach, and the producers ALL together saying "8 shows a week.. 8 shows a wekk! It's demanding but he does it and we'd never cast an alternate!"

broadwayguy2
#35re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:33pm

and as far as the backstage article, just to clarify... whether it was written before or after his NEW contract was signed, the fact remains that it was written and the interviews happened WELL after the Tonys, and well after it had already been decided that John would not be performing matinees...

JB Fan
#36re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:51pm

I think you are referring to the backstage article. which may have appeared after the change...but was written before it...I don't think anything recent has that info...

there also isn't a contracted alternate right now...so,technically, that's true.

Now...are you stating Michael is doing more doubling for JLY? Or are you getting into something else?

broadwayguy2
#37re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 1:54pm

no, actually, the article was written after they started the change....
and yes, i have read that in other trade papers since then.

no, they don't have an ALTERNATE, but they send the covers on twice a week... and now, John, as YOu said, is contracted for only 8 shows, so, essentially, the understudies ARE alternates.

what I am stating is Michael's vocal demands in Jersey boys is a lot heavier than you think.

JB Fan
#38re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 2:16pm

you mean 6 shows. There should be an alternate. There is not one. I agree...however I never said that Michael's demands were not great, however...he is not singing the role of Frankie 8 shows a week...he also isn't always doing the mats (he usually is...I will admit that)...however, JLY is doing Frankie 6 shows a week...and no one is doing the role 8 shows a week...you are making it sound as if the combination of the 2 performances a week...plus the 6 as Joey is more taxing than just doing 6 shows as Frankie and I insist on debating that fact...also. to say that he is the one carrying the show is crazy...there are at least 3 other actors who star in Jersey Boys who have more to do than Michael when he is Joey: Christian, Daniel and J. Robert do a hell of a lot more...as do some of the other featured roles: Peter Gregus and Mark Lotito have much larger roles and they also double the other seasons...not to mention Donnie Kehr and Steve Gouveia who sing, play roles and multiple instruments throughout...also, all 3 women who also double and play tons of roles...why are you acting like Michael is the only one working in the show...he isn't...and there are many doublers for all of the roles...everyone is singing more than we know.

Updated On: 12/22/06 at 02:16 PM

AnaGFan
#39re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/22/06 at 5:31pm

broadwayguy, why do you hate JLY so much?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#40re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/23/06 at 1:50am

JBfan
Why do you love JlittleY so much?
he doesn't seem to be getiing much work since he won the TONY.
(just watch her go off!) Updated On: 12/23/06 at 01:50 AM

broadwayguy2
#41re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/23/06 at 1:45pm

hahahaha. oh dear.

AnaG, why does everyone love him so much?

wicked_mimi
#42re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/23/06 at 3:20pm

broadwayguy2, the question isn't why does everyone love him, it's why do you have to tear down someone that you really have no reason to. CLEARLY the part is hard, can anyone say different? If you have a problem with the producers publicizing 8 shows a week, TALK TO THEM, like others have said. There is no reason to criticize John.

Sort of off topic, even if they did publicize him doing only 6 shows a week I highly doubt it'd hurt ticket sales at all. Most people who see the show don't know who he is. They are going to see the Tony Winning musical, not the actor. As long as they get a great performance they don't care who they see, and they still give a standing ovation every time no matter who is up there. Perhaps that is their reasoning for no announcing it. It's not like they are backstage with JLY plotting... I don't see what the big deal is and why you are trying to cause trouble.

worrell4077
#43re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/23/06 at 8:58pm

I would like to say a couple of things. One, I would like to apologize to broadwayguy2 for anything that he might have infered from my previous statement on this thread as negative towards him. I don't like it when someone says bad things against a honestly, nice guy like JLY.

Second, to about why I think JLY has the hardest role on Broadway is that he barely leaves the stage, he sings lead for 27 songs, most of which are in falsetto, just among other things. I forget the interview but he did say it was one of the hardest roles.

Third, about the people advertising that JLY still does 8 shows a week, you really have to get over it. I, mean, sure it's an annoying, but it's not something to obsess on. You have to just live with it. Personally, I haven't seen or heard anything that advertises JLY still does 8 shows a week, there are just the advertisments about the show, not the performers in general.

CurtainPullDowner
#44re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/23/06 at 11:19pm

"an honestly, nice guy like JLY"
Are you good friends with him?

JB Fan
#45re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/24/06 at 10:57am

CPD, never a kind word to say, are you his enemy?

CurtainPullDowner
justafan2
#47re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/29/06 at 10:44am

According to NJ monthly magazine online---www.njmonthly.com, JLY is staying with JB until April. They have a new article "Best of" and a photo piece on JLY, who lives in Jersey City while he does his thing in JB.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#48re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/29/06 at 2:00pm

According to an interview with all the boys on XM (it replayed today) they have all extended until early November 2007.

JB Fan
#49re: When is John Lloyd Young's last performance in 'Jersey Boys?'
Posted: 12/29/06 at 2:14pm

No. The other 3 guys have extended until Nov 2007.

Videos