pixeltracker

Will Broadway always be "gay"?- Page 2

Will Broadway always be "gay"?

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#25re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 1:22pm

I don't care for Ethel Merman, or any of the other so-called Loud Ladies/Broadway divas. Yet I still enjoy musical theater. Funny that.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 1/13/07 at 01:22 PM

scot Profile Photo
scot
#26re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 1:31pm

You don't like Merman???

Leave this board...

re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 1:35pm

As long as there are Loud-Voiced Ladies and Boys in Tight Pants, yes.

xerotheory7803
#28re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 1:48pm

im a straight guy, but i love going to musicals and plays, as much as i love going to sporting events. if its good and entertaining, im gonna go, regardless of stupid sterotypes and generalizations.

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#29re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:05pm

I doubt there are many people without a good education who enjoy theater

That assumption is invalid. It has to do with exposure to the theatre not education.

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#30re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:18pm

I think anyone who cringes at being called gay needs to evaluate their obvious homophobia.

eb412
#31re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:24pm

if u musicals become popular again and guys have someone they can connect with and look up to that maybe more straight guys will get into it...

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#32re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:26pm

The performers who typically are thought to attract the "stereotypically" gay audience (Merman, Channing, Garland, Fierstien) actually do very little for me most of the time. It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm straight. I appreciate why they are icons (well, I don't quite get Channing), but other than in very certain roles, I don't typically enjoy those performers. This isn't to say that that's 100% true - I like several gay themed musicals (Falsettos is one of my favorite shows) but why shouldn't I? I'm not Siamese and I like The King and I. I'm not French and I love Les Mis. I'm not a cat - well, OK, I digress.

The thing is, most people who categorize musicals as "gay" do so based on these aspects - the things that are KNOWN to be iconic gay figures, and it takes a certain type of person (gay or not) to enjoy them - they are NOT universally appealing. Because of the association in the public mind, though, those artists "go" with gay folks, and in turn are linked to the theater world. Those who decry theater as gay have never seen - or probably even heard of - the majority of what those of us who love theater treasure.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#33re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:33pm

This thread just gets more and more offensive to gay men each minute. The homophobia all over this board baffles me.

You wouldn't have Broadway without gays, and you'd be so lucky to be called one. I love musicals because I"m gay. They often feature underdogs battling against the odds, much like gay people. Consider it a compliment, not an insult.

WalkOn
#34re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:34pm

There will always be gay people working on Broadway. However, it does seem that a gay aestheic has been the dominant one for the last few years. I have a problem when one sensibility takes over an art form.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.
Updated On: 1/13/07 at 02:34 PM

BobPopa Profile Photo
BobPopa
#35re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:37pm

There are plenty...plenty of straight men A)Interested in Theatre B)In theate....

It's a perception that not a lot of straight males are into theatre.

"He wants to know who cares. I care you stupid fool we all care..." John Wilkes Booth (Assassins)

neddyfrank2
#36re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:40pm

Yep!

#37re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 2:52pm

WalkOn said:

"I hope not. I have a problem when one sensibility takes over an art form."

Like all those Jewish composers in the 20s, 30s, and 40s? God I glad they're gone. NOT. Their song is ended but the melody lingers on :)

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#38re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:01pm

Maybe it is because us gays are more talented. thats just me though. Cheno told it like it is last night lol.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#39re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:05pm

Bobbybubby - I hope that comment wasn't directed at me. I am not the least bit homophobic, and my post was just an attempt to explain what I see in the world. Saying "There are anti-Semites out there" doesn't make me one, just as me saying "this is what I've seen from other straight men" does NOT make me homophobic.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#40re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:08pm

I guess I just don't get the argument that Broadway isn't gay.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#41re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:10pm

Because it isn't. Exclusively.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#42re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:16pm

All right, I have a question then, Bobbybubby. Do you want Broadway to be successful? Unfortunately, there IS a lot of homophobia out there. With the "gay" label attached to Broadway, it DOES drive away people who might otherwise enjoy it. My friend who I wrote about in another post is the perfect example. I would never think of taking away anything from what makes Broadway great, but to appeal to the mass audience, which is needed for success, there HAS to be some idea that just because you like musicals, that doesn't make you gay. Is it right? No, of course not. It's born of idiocy and ignorance. That's how most of America is, though, idiotic and ignorant (hence, back to my original post on this thread about those who like theater again being EDUCATED).

Kringas
#43re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:18pm

A better question is "why does it matter?" So people consider it gay. Is that so terrible?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#44re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:19pm

I'm not saying it can't appeal to other people, or shouldn't try to. I'm just more offended by straight musical theatre lovers taking offense to being called gay.

scot Profile Photo
scot
#45re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:19pm

It's not exclusively gay...
just mostly.

muah!

:-x

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#46re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:27pm

I seriously doubt there are any straight men on this board who actually get OFFENDED by being called gay. It IS tiring having to constantly tell people that just because you like theater, doesn't mean you ARE gay, but there's a difference between that and being offended by it. Seriously, I could care less what people think I am -- my girlfriend knows I'm not gay - what else really matters to me in that realm?

The only place I DO make sure to bother to correct people is if my students say something about it. They know I love theater, and I've had a couple ask me if that meant I was gay. In that case, yes, I did tell them I'm not and I gave them a little talk about A)tolerance and B)prejudging people.

#47re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:39pm

I guess we cant help being more talented... ; ) i kidd i kidd... sort of

xerotheory7803
#48re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:40pm

i wasnt taking offense. i was just saying that im staight and i love theatre. i have gay friends, i love them the same i would anyone. people are people, regardless of sexual orientation.
Updated On: 1/13/07 at 03:40 PM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#49re: Will Broadway always be 'gay'?
Posted: 1/13/07 at 3:44pm

Preference makes it sound like a choice.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Videos