pixeltracker

Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!- Page 2

Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#25re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 1:19pm

Beehive!

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#26re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 1:35pm

What about MOBY DICK! The Musical?

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Wildcard
#27re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 1:36pm

I remember watching a musical version of "Gone with the Wind" on tv where the entire cast was made up of women. It was called "Scarlett"

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#28re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 1:36pm

What about the musical

13 Daughters

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#29re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 6:10pm

Anything like 'Godspell' and 'Oh What A Lovely War' can be done with pretty much any cast you have available to you. Mixing and matching genders is fun! ^_^ Did anyone say 'Annie' yet?

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#30re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 7:33pm

Definately Annie. Also, Once on this Island can be done with only three males.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#31re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:21pm

I have to second MOBY DICK. Underproduced, lots of female roles, definitely campy!

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#32re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:27pm

>> Definately Annie

With only two men in the cast???

How???

http://docandraider.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#33re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:54pm

You could probably do Annie with three guys. I think you'd need at least three because Warbucks, Rooster and FDR are all in the last scene... the ensemble could be all female. Mrs. Bundles, a female cop etc...
Updated On: 2/28/07 at 09:54 PM

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#34re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:49pm

And all of FDR's cabinet, all well known historical figures, as women???

Isnt that stretching audience credulity a bit far?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#35re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:05pm

maybe an all male cabinet is no longer politically correct. I dunno... theatre is supposed to be all about stretching the imagination. It’s not a lot to ask of an audience that they accept the limitations of a lacking talent pool… happens all the time.

Julian2
#36re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:10pm

It’s not a lot to ask of an audience that they accept the limitations of a lacking talent pool… happens all the time.

You haven't seen audience accepting "the limitations of a lacking talent pool" until you've seen the Ragtime with only three black people (1 Man, 2 Women)!

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 3/1/07 at 04:10 PM

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#37re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:49pm

A my Name is Alice

mediakilled Profile Photo
mediakilled
#38re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:09am

hate annie. . I wouldn't want to deal with annie. at all. i think the only way I'd watch it is by having it take place in a slaughterhouse and have the dog become ravenous and eat each child alive, one by one...while they whine and yelp their final notes to the afterlife.
children should be seen and not heard.

Updated On: 3/2/07 at 10:09 AM

jesseeinstein
#39re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:12am

First Lady Suite

Hard music though- love LaChuisa

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#40re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:27am

Mediakilled,
Do you work at a post office? Just checking.re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!

....but the world goes 'round

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#41re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:29am

>> maybe an all male cabinet is no longer politically correct. I dunno... theatre is supposed to be all about stretching the imagination.

I'm all for stretching the imagination, but making John Foster Dulles into, oh, I dunno, Joanna Foster Dulles is asking a lot.

mediakilled
#42re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:33am

haha. no. but isn't 'tomorrow' the most annoyingly whiny song ever???

mediakilled
#43.
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:34am

Updated On: 3/2/07 at 10:34 AM

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#44re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:40am

Depends on the singer, I think. Someone like Holly Cole knows how to really rachet that thing up in a way your average 10 year old doesnt. Of course the orchstrations arent helping a lot either. :)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#45re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 10:44am

It's a little cheesy at this point I agree. I still love Easy Street though.

....but the world goes 'round

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#46re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 12:16pm

I've seen ANNIE done at an all girls school with only 2 men in the cast...and 1776 done at a high school where the Continental Congress was made up of men and women.

BUT...in both instances the gender of the characters weren't changed from men to women. The women simply played the roles as men. The 1776 was actually pretty great. The girl playing John Hancock was TERRIFIC.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

e Profile Photo
e
#47re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 12:51pm

I've seen Thoroughly Modern Millie done at an all girls school with only two boys, one playing Jimmy and the other Trevor Graydon..

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#48re: Musicals with MOSTLY FEMALES.....HELP!
Posted: 3/2/07 at 12:59pm

Would it be worth running your numbers through http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/search.asp ? It's by no means a definitive list and doesn't really allow for any gender-bending you might want to do, but it can give you a few ideas maybe? ^_^

Videos