pixeltracker

My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review- Page 2

My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#25re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:36pm

Kelli O'Hara is unbelievable as Eliza Doolittle. Just arrived home from this evening's performance. Walking home, I had to resist breaking out in song, realizing O'Hara was true inspiration for walking on clouds, skipping to one's own drum.

And, given that I'm a cynic and generally steer clear of anything with Brian Dennehy, I was astonished by his Alfred Doolittle. I loved it.

If you can catch this tomorrow night (last performance), DO! You won't be sorry...

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#26re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 2:10am

Keen on Kean, Kelsey Grammer has been playing basically the same part for 20 years now. Frasier Crane is the living embodiment of Henery Higgins.

And every post that took the original poster to task for spelling had at least one typo as well.

Glass houses, folks.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#27re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 9:43am

I think it is the accent thing I can't picture. I am sure he had the cantankerousness.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#28re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:09am

I only wish I could have had the chance to see this re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review

Kelli and Kelsey, IMHO, are two very talented people perfectly suited to the roles of Eliza and Henry. I enjoy them both and wold LOVE to have haad this recorded for those fans such as myself who didn't have the opportunity to get to see this.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

ashley0139
#29re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 10:26am

I loved this. I had never actually made it through the movie, but I was completely captivated by everyone. Kelli O'Hara's Eliza and transformation were poignant and beautifully acted, and I think it goes without saying- beautifully sung. I honestly feel like the woman can do no wrong. Okay, maybe Dracula, but I didn't see it, so I can't bash it. Marni Nixon was a presence to behold. Kelsey Grammer was...Kelsey Grammer, but he played his role very well. The man who played Colonel Pickering was inspired....he had the house in the palm of his hand. And the vocal ensemble and dancers, and not to mention the Philharmonic, are all in top form. If you get a chance to go tonight, RUN AND GET TICKETS!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#30re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:26am

I saw the show last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kelli O'Hara was the definite standout. This woman is probably one of the most talented and most consistent stage actresses of our time. I have seen her in 4 VERY different roles in the past two years (Piazza, Pajama Game, her show in NYMF earlier this year, and now this), and she is equally amazing in each one. Her accent was both convincing and comical at times. She nailed "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "Without You", but her most impressive performance of the night came during "Show Me". This song is clearly the tell all when it comes to Eliza. She hit it out of the park. Why doesn't this woman have a Tony yet?
-BJH re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review

bwaylvsong
#31re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:32am

Hopefully thew success of this concert will spark interest in a revival.

Smartful Dodger
#32re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/10/07 at 11:51am

I was struck by the very extended applause for Kelli's "I Could Have Danced All Night." It just seemed to go on and on and on, only to be rewarded when the orchestra swelled and took us to Ascot and Marni Nixon's entrance. More applause.

Joshua488
#34re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 12:16am

I just came from the final performance.

WOW.

Kelli O'Hara was absolutely fantastic. I loved every moment of this show.

broadwaybaby086
#35re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 12:28am

Posted under the wrong name...computer switching is a bad choice. My post from yesterday (parts of which are no longer applicable):

I loved this. I had never actually made it through the movie, but I was completely captivated by everyone. Kelli O'Hara's Eliza and transformation were poignant and beautifully acted, and I think it goes without saying- beautifully sung. I honestly feel like the woman can do no wrong. Okay, maybe Dracula (clarified by Melody...yay for Kelli), but I didn't see it, so I can't bash it. Marni Nixon was a presence to behold. Kelsey Grammer was...Kelsey Grammer, but he played his role very well. The man who played Colonel Pickering was inspired....he had the house in the palm of his hand. And the vocal ensemble and dancers, and not to mention the Philharmonic, are all in top form. If you get a chance to go tonight, RUN AND GET TICKETS!

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#36re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 12:30am

Why has no one mentioned Freddy?
How was his STREET?
I love that song.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#37re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 12:26pm

Great voice, but a boring actor in a boring role.

Smartful Dodger
#38re: My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center Review
Posted: 3/11/07 at 12:30pm

Regarding Freddy -- I'm by no means an expert of the book for this musical, but my sense was that the role was trimmed for this concert performance. I'd seen a fully staged production a decade or so ago and thought he had more time on stage. I could be wrong, but that's my impression of why the role didn't stand out at Lincoln Center.

Videos