pixeltracker

In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors- Page 2

In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#25re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/26/07 at 11:58pm

Well, apparently to some people the second you have a characters with names like Adela, Martirio, and Angustias a play is about the Latin experience. Never mind that the play/musical takes place in 1930s Spain and is NOTHING about being Latin.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#26re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:08am

BERNARDA ALBA was dreck. Pure agony to sit through. There's a reason his shows rarely transfer to Broadway.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#27re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:15am

I didn't se the show but the score is simply ravishing and I agree with whoever said it's one of the best scores in the past 5 years. Because it is. it's beautiful and haunting.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#28re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:23am

Why does it seem as if a show is only verified as being "real" if it transfers to Broadway"

It's playing off-Broadway right now. See it. Why does it really matter if it makes the jump?

Personally, I don't think IN THE HEIGHTS could survive very long, where as it might run for quite a while off-Broadway.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:27am

While I enjoy most of LaChiusa's score for BERNARDA ALBA (I'd say it's one of his best along with THE WILD PARTY and HELLO AGAIN), I didn't think his lyrics were successful in capturing Lorca's exquisite poetic style nor his ability to create a multitude of layers for each character. Plus, I never thought that it was a good idea to musicalize a play that is in many ways about silence. THE HOUSE OF BERNARDA ALBA is one of my all-time favorite plays, I've worked with it many times through high school and college, and I just didn't find LaChiusa's score a la par with Lorca's original piece.
/End of threadjack.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 4/27/07 at 12:27 AM

#30re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:42am

Dreck? I thought many found it to be one of Graciela's best director/choreographer productions (she often is seen as not strong enough to direct as well as choreograph bigger works like Marie Christine). I know seeing it is very different than hearing it but the score is thrilling (though I would agree the lyrics aren't as strong as the music). I know LaChiusa does divide fans and critixs alike though.

Still I'd place it probably in my top three of his scores with Marie CHristine and then Wild PArty or Hello Again depending on my mood re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors (I'd kill to hear Little Fish)

E

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#31re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:45am

BERNARDA ALBA is not for everyone, and it's hardly perfect, but it's far from dreck.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Wanna Be A Foster
#32re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:47am

Maybe I would have been better able to appreciate the score if it had been sung by competent singers in a production with even a hint of depth.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

chavito Profile Photo
chavito
#33re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:47am

Ok, I have to say, I have been learning about broadway little by little. I don't know if the show will transfer or not but I DO KNOW it's a show full of heart with 9 nominations for the drama desk awards. It has set a standar for the up coming "latino shows" that so many of you critized...and I think that is a very healthy thing for all of the people that love good art. Also a role model for new talent who dare to take a risk in what they do! I say "YOU GO HEIGHTS"

Where does the transfer info comes from?
Are they making a CD yes or no?

PS

I would not compare In the Heights to any of the small companys who work so hard to do some good theater off off broadway... We need to respect each world apart...

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#34re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:54am

The cast said a cd is in the works.

Caroline, I love you "Family of Fountains" screencaps. yesss.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

Broadwayfan120791 Profile Photo
Broadwayfan120791
#35re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 1:32am

Personally, in my opinon,..I would love to see it be on broadway but if I had to choose between seeing it go on broadway or seeing it last awhile off-broadway [as munkustrap brought up] , meaning years though..then I would choose the second option. I think it is a really great show and has SO MUCH potential to it, great actors/actresses, and overall an amazing score.

So to see it be successful to me, to many fans of it probably, & to probably also the whole creative team, cast, and crew would be better than seeing it go to broadway & not survive just because broadway fans might not be attracted to it as much as some of the other shows that are on broadway as of now.

Why does it seem as if a show is only verified as being "real" if it transfers to Broadway"

thank you munkustrap--it's ashame that many people [no one in particular though just people in general] avoid seeing off-broadway shows & don't think of them as "real" because they are not on broadway--but then again, maybe if it did go to broadway all of the people who don't consider this show "real" now because of that will change their minds about it & this will bring in a bigger crowd than expected. Just a thought. re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors

Come on babe we're gonna paint the town...and all that jazz...

#36re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 1:38am

CQoT: not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I hardly think Bernarda Alba qualified as a musical about the "latino expierence". haha.

I never said BA was supposed to be about the day-to-day life in a Latino community, which is what your misquoting makes it seem like. I said it captured the "Latino spirit;" it conveyed a very real sense that the authors knew the culture and the people they were writing about, which is more than I can say for Mr. LaChiusa.

Furthermore, everything about Lorca's original work (which was depicted well enough in the musical) is, for lack of a less eloquent to say it, absolutely Hispanic. I think it's interesting you don't think there's anything brown about the story or the themes of the work; just wondering if you have any idea about the culture. Sorry if I'm starting to sound like the cognoscenti, but I just don't see how someone who has even the most remote idea about the Hispanic culture (even in very general terms) could make a statement like that. That play is every novela every written.

BSoBW2
#37re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 1:51am

Lorca's work is Spanish. I think the confusing part is the word Hispanic - which refers to Spain and the Latin countries, but people often use synonymously with "Latino."

I happened to love BERNARDA ALBA - though I know it severely polarized audiences. The biggest problem is Lorca's original play - which seems unfinished (thought that sort of adds to its urgency).

Actually, it's more than hispano. It's Andalusian...which is the sound LaChiusa was playing with. Not MAN OF LA MANCHA generic Spanish...or completely flamenco.
Updated On: 4/27/07 at 01:51 AM

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#38re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 10:01am

In the Heights has a great cast and is a very good show, but I don't think it would sell enough to warrant a Broadway transfer. Isn't it having enough difficulty selling at the 37 Arts? I know 37 Arts is hellishly far away from everything, but I don't think that putting it closer at Times Square would suddenly give them hundreds of more customers.

It would be nice to give them some more recognition though.

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#39re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 4/27/07 at 12:35pm

I might be out of the loop since I haven’t posted in a while, but wasn't the St. James promised to Brooks' Young Frankenstein?

"Have they come yet?"

MungoGypsy8232
#40re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:15pm

it is!
link

MungoGypsy8232
#41re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:16pm

May I also add "way to screw up predicting the Tonys nominations next year based on previous award nominations a la Grey Gardens" re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors

NathanLaneStalker
#42re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:31pm

Like I said earlier, I don't think this could last long on Broadway, unless they move it into Circle in the Square, and Spelling Bee isnt closing anytime soon.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

robstyle001
#43re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:35pm

how could u say spelling be isnt closing...

isnt it doing terribly, and word is the new cast sucks...

i love the show tho.

NathanLaneStalker
#44re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:40pm

It is doing badly (not terribly) but not bad enough to close before In The Heights comes to B'way.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#45re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:40pm

No on both counts rob.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Wanna Be A Foster
#46re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:46pm

It could easily take the Walter Kerr. It's a small to medium size house, and GREY GARDENS should be gone by October when Ebersole's contract is up.

-Kad

ray-andallthatjazz86
#47re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/24/07 at 12:20am

Rumor is A CATERED AFFAIR will be taking the Walter Kerr if GREY GARDENS indeed chooses to close once Ebersole's contract expires.

NathanLaneStalker
#48re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/24/07 at 10:03am

In The Heights could have done well in The Helen Hayes, but XANADU is there right now. But who knows, from the way it's going right now, the show will close in enough time for In thje Heights to open there.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#49re: In the Heights Broadway Transfer Rumors
Posted: 5/24/07 at 10:17am

This may be an obvious observation but I think it is very nice to see something else that's original and not Disney or Based-on-the-popular-movie open on Broadway...keep it goin'!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Videos