pixeltracker

Something Ben Brantly help me realize- Page 2

Something Ben Brantly help me realize

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#25re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/1/07 at 5:14pm

I am straight and can easilly fill into most of the typical striaght male sterotypes ( like being macho, love sports ect.) But, I also love theatre. I don't let the fact that I get made fun of it left and right. I don't let it bother me. I think that the typical teen demorgaphic doesn't go because they consider it girly.

Also, in some cases. I think that they hear about how people dress up for the theatre and don't feel like doing so. What I realize is that the majority of the people that fully dress up to go to a show ( fancy dress, black tie sort of thing) are tourists who do so to feel like a classy new yorker. Whereas, people that live here put on something nice or in most cases go as is and just see the show. I think the whole idea that there is a strict " dress code" and not that they will let you in so long as your not naked.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#26re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/1/07 at 7:41pm

as a strait teenage guy,18, who is very much into sports and other things that would be seen as masculine ive come to find that it is really difficult to get my friends to go a show, Im at a military academy and when I answer the question "what did you do this weekend" and i answer i saw a show i tend to draw some looks. but ive really come to realize that if i want company i either get them to double date with me or something along those lines and i will take them to something along the lines of SA, Jersey boys ect. that i know they will enjoy, and i now have many friends who have the bug so to speak. I was one of those guys that never liked goin to theater until i saw les mis in 8th grade, but now living in NY im taking full advantage of the options but i do realize that its tough to get young males to the theater, but most of the time all it takes in one good show

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

EdmundOG
#27re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/1/07 at 8:01pm

***************Excuse me, Edmund. But where did I stereotype any male teens as gay? I said "Tons of gay male teens attend the theatre regularly." I didn't say "tons of teenage fairy freak boys attend the theatre reguarly."****************

What you said was that the posters were only discussing typical male teens, and that tons of gay male teens attend theatre. You didn't seem to even entertain the possibility that there are straight male teens that are into theatre.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#28re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/1/07 at 8:03pm

That's because there AREN'T a lot of straight male teens that are into theatre. Isn't that what we're talking about? Of course there are some but percentage-wise I'd think it's very, very few.

RadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
#29re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/1/07 at 8:05pm

Consider that is also has a lot to do with opportunity (it's expensive after all) and exposure...(we don't *all* live tin The City, sad as that may be...and let's face it not all community theater is a good thing.)

"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.
Updated On: 5/1/07 at 08:05 PM

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#30re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/1/07 at 9:20pm

I think the teen male demographic, as a whole, is pretty much a lost cause for the theater. I just can't see a group of 15 year old boys getting together to go see any type of theater. They might go with a girlfriend, or their family, or maybe a class trip, and they might even enjoy it, but I think that is about as far as it will go. Boys are.....well, they're boys. I don't think anyone would even be willing to try to mount a production aimed at teenage boys because it would probably not appeal to anyone else.

My son (he's only 18 months old, so he's a little young to be falling into gender stereotypes)loves showtunes. Over the summer we Tivo'd Broadway under the Stars and for a long time he was obsessed with Sutton Foster singing "You've Got Possibilities". We would put it on just to see his reaction. Today, he spent a half an hour watching the Producers. Anyway, my point is that I plan on attempting to instill in him a love of theater, but we will see.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#31re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/2/07 at 10:08pm

I spoke too soon!

Just read in the newspaper that a $30 million stage musical of SPIDERMAN is being prepared.

After that opens all the teen boys will be obsessing over SPIDERMAN the way teen girls do over WICKED. We'll be floded with ne members with variations on the Peter Parker name posting hourly on how many times they's seen the show, who's the best PP; when will there be a cast album; or thinking up poll questions just so they have yet another excuse to talk about "their" show!

The straight girls will HATE it but will go along with their boyfriends as long as he goes with them to see WICKED an equal number of times and/or promises to put out afterwards.

"And the nitwits in this room should love it!'

:)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#32re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/2/07 at 11:02pm

ya i seriously hope that it gets more guys to go to the theater
but another movie musical makes me cringe some

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#33re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/2/07 at 11:27pm

Spider Man won't get me to the theater. I'm one of the odd teens, who would rather see Grey Gardens then Spider Man. re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#34re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/3/07 at 1:06pm

ya i seriously hope that it gets more guys to go to the theater
but another movie musical makes me cringe some

You know Spider-Man was a comic first, right? If you give the articles a bit of a perusal, it looks like they're basing the musical on the comics rather than on the films sooo... if you're going to dismiss it out of hand, it's not really fair to do so on the grounds it's a movie musical. re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#35re: Something Ben Brantley helped me to realize
Posted: 5/3/07 at 1:24pm

SPAMALOT brought out alot of straight guys who usually don't go to musicals.

But the medium will always just be a place where the ladies are just more interesting. Seriously: Who is the male Merman? The male Mary Martin?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Videos