pixeltracker

THE SHIP OF STOLEN DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL- Page 2

THE SHIP OF STOLEN DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#25re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:14pm

This is another vote to change the name. Not only was the ship Titanic just referred to as the ship of dreams, that phrase is sung MANY, MANY times in the show Titanic. For musical theater lovers, that's going to be a BIG hurdle to overcome...

Just the title alone makes me hear the cast recording in my head... You really don't want people immediately thinking of another show when they think of yours.

It'd be like naming a show about a little girl "Yellow Brick Road" and being surprised that people expect something Oz-ish.

golightly33 Profile Photo
golightly33
#26re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:21pm

i agree with SadDU - the artwork on the website with the "SS" is so creative - i would keep the title just so you could use that logo. i hear what ppl are saying that the title sounds so much like James Cameron's Titanic movie line, but from what i've read in your synopsis, the title works so well with the story line. The St Louis sounds much more like a "Ship of Dreams" than Titanic ever was! but, you sould probably listen to what the majority of people are saying...and like MTVMANN you don't want people associating your work with yeston's disaster of a musical!

new recordings would also help your website...but, from what i've read in your own comments, you have limited resources and you have done an exceptional job with them...so, no complaints here! the first track is stunning...kudos on a job well done!

all the best to you, walcer...i have already told some of my musical-inclined pals about the website...so, the buzz is sure to grow!! re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL

Walcer Profile Photo
Walcer
#27re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/3/07 at 6:48pm

I'd love to hear if anyone out there has a suggestion for a new title and what that might be. I've come up with many over the years of working on this project, but haven't found anything that I feel quite fits as well as "Ship of Dreams" Here's a few examples...

"A Ship of Dreams" (Considering Titanic is referred to as THE Ship of Dreams)
"The Journey of Dreams"
“The Ship of Salvation”
“The Ship of Absolution”
“The Ship of Deliverance”
“The Ship of Liberation”

There's also a list of negative titles I've tried to avoid (As I really want to bring in the audience with the same hope all the passengers had before the voyage.)

"The Ship that Shamed the World"
“The Ship of Lost Souls”
“The Ship of Stolen Dreams”
“A Ship Unwanted”

And the neutral (and utterly boring)

“Voyage of the St. Louis”

I wish there were better words that compared with "Dreams" and "Hope" in the english language. I debated "Ship of Prayers" but felt it had too religious a context.

I'm totally open to changing the title as long as it still fits the theme - AND if I hear one that hits me the same way the current one does.

Updated On: 6/3/07 at 06:48 PM

ragtimefan Profile Photo
ragtimefan
#28re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 1:31am

Website looks great. Hope this project gets picked up. Love the opening number. Good luck

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#29re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 1:44am

Does the title HAVE to have 'ship' in it?
If your set on that what about changing the wording around, ie. Dream Ship, Journey Ship, etc.?

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#30re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 1:45am

I too find the title a big hurdle. Not only does the title make me think of Titanic, but the essence of the show being learning about these people and their dreams, only to share in the horror of their deaths, is so similar. I'd try to distance yourself from the inevitable comparisons.

I, for one, really like Ship of Stolen Dreams. Why fight against the fact that you're dealing with a tragedy by avoiding the negativity in the title?

Walcer Profile Photo
Walcer
#31re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:17am

Boy was I right when I said I'd get alot of slack for this title!

If I change it to anything I think it will be "The Ship that Shamed the World"

Let me know the consensus on that title.

Man... it sure poses some major plot problems though. I've really weaved the "ship of dreams" theme into the show throughout... it's pretty crucial actually.

Ideally I'd like to keep the current title into a workshop of the show, and if people still balk about it after having sat through the workshop production, then seriously consider the change... Or do you think that holding onto this title would detract would be producers just too much?

Updated On: 6/4/07 at 02:17 AM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#32re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:38am

How about "Shoah Boat" for a title?

PEACE.

golightly33 Profile Photo
golightly33
#33re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:50am

i like "the ship that shamed the world"...the drama and intensity of such a title works well with the storyline and the music that i've heard.

Walcer Profile Photo
Walcer
#34re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:27am

Shoah Boat..? Yikes! Updated On: 6/4/07 at 03:27 AM

ragtimefan Profile Photo
ragtimefan
#35re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:42pm

Its too bad about the title. I agree it brings to mind titanic - but think it also fits the theme. Its also a tough call on if it will deter producers. its a shame we aren't in a business where "never judge a book by it's cover" applies.

lovebird Profile Photo
lovebird
#36re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:43pm

i agree with you, walcer - ship of dreams fits w/ the theme of your show. it is deffinatly a tough call on whether or not to change it...

i looked at the design page and they are amazing! i love your use of the proscenium throughout the show. very inventive.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#37re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:55pm

"Voyage of Dreams"

"The Dream Voyage"

"Sailing on the water of Dreams"

"The Journey"

I'm just coming up with these as I go along. re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 6/4/07 at 03:55 PM

Joelbeans
#38re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:18pm

I am really intrigued by this show. I have gone to the website, and read over some of the stuff, I haven't had a chence to read through all of it. When I first looked at the web page I thought it was another Titanic musical, but then I skimmed through the synopsis, and got intrigued with the story that I had to listen to some of the music. I am the President of a community theatre company here in St. Louis, and if you ever need singers to record this I am sure we could find some talented singers to make a decent recording. Just a thought. I am going back to the site and listen to some of the songs in their entirety now. Keep up the good work. And like I said if you ever want talented singers to record this let me know.

JoelH314@centurytel.net

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#39re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:19pm

Definitley a great idea! I will be checking the website for updates often! And for that matter the Upcomming Broadway Shows Directory.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#40re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:29pm

And just a little something to add to the constructive Criticism... it's not anything major that will have a huge affect on the show, but on the logo the S's in Ship and Dreams look like they are from the KISS band logo. Again, nothing major, I just saw them and then chuckled a little because I immediately thought of KISS

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

Walcer Profile Photo
Walcer
#41re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:33pm

lol.. yeah no.. it's supposed to be the logo that the Nazi SS used... which is unfortunatly the same as the Kiss logo...
Updated On: 6/4/07 at 04:33 PM

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#42re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:40pm

Ok, that makes more sense, because I have never seen the SS logo before. In that case, stick with it.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#43re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:49pm

I like: "The ship of stolen dreams"

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Joelbeans
#44re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:50pm

OK I am back again, I have listened to a few of the songs and to add on to the comment before that most of the songs sound a like, I think it is the arpeggiated accompaniment in most of the song. I know you said you were going to have someone orchestrate it, that is just my opinion. And I think a little more harmony in the singers, and not have them all singing together in harmony conjunctly. If you ever need help with harmony, I alway love to work with adding vocals to stuff, there is nothing that gives me more chill in a show than beautiful harmony. I may not be a professional, but if you ever would like some help just let me know

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#45re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 4:50pm

I was just trying to think of some names to suggest since you are considering changing the title because it seems like many people will have a problem with it and I came up with "Paradise Lost." I thought it was good because it included the name of one of the songs that you say becomes an important theme. But then I remembered that it is the name of another musical that is in the process of getting ready for a World Premiere in LA

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#46re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:09pm

I think the idea to think of other titles that aren't stuck in "the ship ____" paradigm is a good one.

let's get some free association going here.

Sail into a Dream
The Dream Makers
Voyage to Freedom
Voyage of Dreams (ugh, too much like Field of Dreams)
Fallen Dreams

(hey if Spidey casn do it, so can I!) ;oP

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#47re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:11pm

Voyage To Paradise?

mattrob Profile Photo
mattrob
#48re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:29pm

If "The Ship That Shamed the World" was what they called it, then the connotation should be fine, although it does seem a little too depressing a title. "The Ship of Stolen Dreams" is a really good one too. I'm really excited about this and hope it makes it to NY!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#49re: THE SHIP OF DREAMS - A NEW MUSICAL
Posted: 6/4/07 at 5:35pm

That's right, Elphaba. haha!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Videos